Weekend Football

5739 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Sanguine » 08 Feb 2024 13:01

Thiago, who returned to the Liverpool side after nine months out, against Arsenal, played ten minutes as a sub and got injured again. He has a 'muscle problem' that will keep him out for weeks. Guy is made of actual jelly. No way he stays at the club following his contract expiry.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Feb 2024 15:13

Sanguine Thiago, who returned to the Liverpool side after nine months out, against Arsenal, played ten minutes as a sub and got injured again. He has a 'muscle problem' that will keep him out for weeks. Guy is made of actual jelly. No way he stays at the club following his contract expiry.

Must be the biggest waste of money ever! He has been utter **** for Liverpool seemingly never managing more than 2 games before injury striking. I'd pay his contract up now.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Feb 2024 16:35

Sutekh
Sanguine Thiago, who returned to the Liverpool side after nine months out, against Arsenal, played ten minutes as a sub and got injured again. He has a 'muscle problem' that will keep him out for weeks. Guy is made of actual jelly. No way he stays at the club following his contract expiry.

Must be the biggest waste of money ever! He has been utter **** for Liverpool seemingly never managing more than 2 games before injury striking. I'd pay his contract up now.

He'd apparently earned £7m since this last appearance.
According to Transfermarkt he has had nine separate injuries since joining Liverpool, causing him to miss (for now) a nice round 100 games. He has played just 68, meaning he has been unavailable through injury for 60% of his time at the club.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Feb 2024 17:10

Everton have Man City this weekend while Luton are at home to Shef Utd.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Feb 2024 09:06

Does feel like City are starting to do City things again. Five wins in a row - and their next three league games are at home. That said, Liverpool have got a lot of their tougher fixtures out of the way. Looking at their next eight - they host Burnley, Luton, Brighton and Sheffield United, and have trips to Brentford, Forest and Everton, all sandwiching a trip to the Etihad. Well, we could be looking at another run-in like a few years back where both teams just kept winning, and winning, and winning.

I'll take City to win the league by five points. Obviously hoping for the jinx.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2024 09:15

Sanguine Does feel like City are starting to do City things again. Five wins in a row - and their next three league games are at home. That said, Liverpool have got a lot of their tougher fixtures out of the way. Looking at their next eight - they host Burnley, Luton, Brighton and Sheffield United, and have trips to Brentford, Forest and Everton, all sandwiching a trip to the Etihad. Well, we could be looking at another run-in like a few years back where both teams just kept winning, and winning, and winning.

With, no doubt, the Liverpool v City game in March being promoted and sold as the title decider.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Feb 2024 09:25

Yep and for once it's probably a reasonable label

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2024 09:27

Silver Fox Yep and for once it's probably a reasonable label

Odds on for a draw then :D

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Feb 2024 09:36

Sutekh
Sanguine Does feel like City are starting to do City things again. Five wins in a row - and their next three league games are at home. That said, Liverpool have got a lot of their tougher fixtures out of the way. Looking at their next eight - they host Burnley, Luton, Brighton and Sheffield United, and have trips to Brentford, Forest and Everton, all sandwiching a trip to the Etihad. Well, we could be looking at another run-in like a few years back where both teams just kept winning, and winning, and winning.

With, no doubt, the Liverpool v City game in March being promoted and sold as the title decider.

Ah, yeah it's at Anfield, not the Etihad.

Liverpool's 'fortress' so important then. Aside from that odd six game losing run during COVID, they have lost once in their last 110 home league games. City win there, the title is theirs.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2024 09:45

Sanguine
Sutekh

Ah, yeah it's at Anfield, not the Etihad.

Liverpool's 'fortress' so important then. Aside from that odd six game losing run during COVID, they have lost once in their last 110 home league games. City win there, the title is theirs.

And now up to 60000+ in attendance too. Must admit it must be absolutely brilliant to experience that sort of atmosphere, whether player or supporter, for really big games esp. if you're on the home side.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Feb 2024 10:07

Hendo
BRO_BOT
WestYorksRoyal Absolutely magnificent from Villa tonight. Definitely a performance that suggests top 4, but I'll only start believing if they're still there in April.

Utd 3 points of City. The Blues have really shat the bed this last month or so

Just getting ready for their 15 game winning run.

Back in the beginning of December 8)

Happens every year.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 09 Feb 2024 10:43

Liverpool haven't been that good this season but are top (& undefeated at home iirc). The next eight does look fairly comfortable

When Fergie first announced his retirement Utd shat the bed. Very limited sample size on how it affects teams tbf

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Feb 2024 10:48

BRO_BOT

Liverpool haven't been that good this season but are top (& undefeated at home iirc). The next eight does look fairly comfortable

When Fergie first announced his retirement Utd shat the bed. Very limited sample size on how it affects teams tbf

I do wonder if the 'not actually that good' stuff is a bit of a meme. Best defence, only City have scored more, most points won from losing positions. The team keeps winning. Still think it is City's title though.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Feb 2024 11:38

Sanguine
BRO_BOT

I do wonder if the 'not actually that good' stuff is a bit of a meme. Best defence, only City have scored more, most points won from losing positions. The team keeps winning. Still think it is City's title though.

I think that stems from "most points from losing positions". To which Liverpool have fallen behind in a lot of fixtures this season and that's not usually a sign of a team that wins titles, as they do what City do and just steamroller most teams. You don't associate the best sides with those who fall behind in a significant amount of games.

Obviously the counter-argument to that is it shows the mentality of title winners to come from behind and still win games. So you can take it either way really. I personally think that you can't always get away with falling behind in games and turning it around to win, you'll eventually get caught out somewhere and drop points/lose games (i.e. Arsenal, Spurs, Luton, Brighton). Liverpool's usual stick is that they draw a lot of games compared to those around them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2024 11:40

Sanguine
BRO_BOT

And Liverpool are probably the best of the elite teams to watch 'cos they never seem convincing and there's always a chance they'll screw up, unlike City who just seem to go on and on and on winning once they hit January.

Summer is going to be interesting as Alonso could move them to an entirely different level esp. as it seems likely he might get a proverbial warchest to use. Of course he could crash and burn but think he's certainly a better fit for them than David Moyes was being a fit at Man U (which then led to the van Gaal panic).

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 09 Feb 2024 12:08

Sutekh
Sanguine
BRO_BOT

And Liverpool are probably the best of the elite teams to watch 'cos they never seem convincing and there's always a chance they'll screw up, unlike City who just seem to go on and on and on winning once they hit January.

Summer is going to be interesting as Alonso could move them to an entirely different level esp. as it seems likely he might get a proverbial warchest to use. Of course he could crash and burn but think he's certainly a better fit for them than David Moyes was being a fit at Man U (which then led to the van Gaal panic).

Alonso is the same hipster manager ETH was 2 seasons ago

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Feb 2024 12:14

BRO_BOT Alonso is the same hipster manager ETH was 2 seasons ago

we have also strongly disagreed over this.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 09 Feb 2024 12:34

Winston Biscuit
BRO_BOT Alonso is the same hipster manager ETH was 2 seasons ago

we have also strongly disagreed over this.

This might be a definition of what a hipster manager is type of argument

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Feb 2024 21:47

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Feb 2024 15:06

It’s at Anfield, not the Etihad and I think that’ll be the game where Liverpool really have to go for the win

Was a similar situation a couple of years back where Liverpool were 1 point behind City and IMO didn’t do enough to win when they faced each other and IIRC City didn’t drop another point

5739 posts