Weekend Football

5804 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Sanguine » 22 Apr 2024 08:55

Pretty much defines Antony's time at United that after the club lost a 3-goal lead to a second tier club, narrowly avoided defeat thanks to VAR, and then squeezed through on penalties, he is seen cupping his ears towards Coventry's players after the winning kick.

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status ... 0173257036

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Apr 2024 08:57

Ironic given he wouldn't even get into that Coventry team.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Apr 2024 09:10

Sanguine Pretty much defines Antony's time at United that after the club lost a 3-goal lead to a second tier club, narrowly avoided defeat thanks to VAR, and then squeezed through on penalties, he is seen cupping his ears towards Coventry's players after the winning kick.

Sums up why Man Utd have fallen so much. The "no dickheads" rule is the most simple and most important in recruitment. Yet so many clubs love signing dickheads.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Apr 2024 09:22

WestYorksRoyal
Sanguine Pretty much defines Antony's time at United that after the club lost a 3-goal lead to a second tier club, narrowly avoided defeat thanks to VAR, and then squeezed through on penalties, he is seen cupping his ears towards Coventry's players after the winning kick.

Sums up why Man Utd have fallen so much. The "no dickheads" rule is the most simple and most important in recruitment. Yet so many clubs love signing dickheads.

just looking at the fans tells you everything you need to know

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2024 09:43

enjoyed the video of the Man Utd fans outside Wembley, who quickly left when Cov thought they got the winner, but then heard it was VAR'd out, running to get back into the ground :lol:

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 09:45

John Madejski's Wallet
genome VAR has completely ruined the emotion of the game

Pre VAR no-one would have complained at the goal standing. Gutted for Cov

This is always my feeling.

Offside pre-VAR was a lot more around actually being in front of other players, anything reasonably level was deemed fine.

What i will say is this, we are the only country that does it like this. You don't get these situations in the Bundesliga, you dont get them in UEFA competitions.

This goal in the Champions League is given.100%. The english have for reasons unbeknown to me taken an ultra purist approach to VAR and offsides. There were about 30 goals in the CL quarters over the past fortnight, none had VAR crawling all over every possible pass to see if it was "technically" offside.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 09:48

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman

Lol.

Those options likely to be some fairly hot water, given they've basically accused the VAR ref of being corrupt.

Yeah that's outrageous. Hopefully a huge fine and their club account banned from social media posting.

The PGMOL also have some questions to answer if they knowingly used a VAR who supported one of the teams that had an "interest" in the result.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Apr 2024 10:02

Greatwesternline
NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal Those options likely to be some fairly hot water, given they've basically accused the VAR ref of being corrupt.

Yeah that's outrageous. Hopefully a huge fine and their club account banned from social media posting.

The PGMOL also have some questions to answer if they knowingly used a VAR who supported one of the teams that had an "interest" in the result.

I think they should sue Forest for defamation. These guys are professionals and it's ridiculous to suggest Attwell deliberately made Forest lose.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Apr 2024 10:14

Greatwesternline
John Madejski's Wallet
genome VAR has completely ruined the emotion of the game

Pre VAR no-one would have complained at the goal standing. Gutted for Cov

Offside pre-VAR was a lot more around actually being in front of other players, anything reasonably level was deemed fine.

What i will say is this, we are the only country that does it like this. You don't get these situations in the Bundesliga, you dont get them in UEFA competitions.

This goal in the Champions League is given.100%. The english have for reasons unbeknown to me taken an ultra purist approach to VAR and offsides. There were about 30 goals in the CL quarters over the past fortnight, none had VAR crawling all over every possible pass to see if it was "technically" offside.

How do they do it in other countries?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2024 10:16

SouthDownsRoyal
Greatwesternline
John Madejski's Wallet Pre VAR no-one would have complained at the goal standing. Gutted for Cov

VAR was mental in Italy when it was first brought in and caused huge delays and much controversy. They did change their approach to using it because people were so unhappy with it and now its much better.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Apr 2024 10:18

Winston Biscuit enjoyed the video of the Man Utd fans outside Wembley, who quickly left when Cov thought they got the winner, but then heard it was VAR'd out, running to get back into the ground :lol:

Can't blame those Man Utd fans it can be tricky getting to Colchester or Croydon on a Sunday night.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Apr 2024 10:20

When I watch cricket and there is a review it happens quickly openly and whichever way it goes i do t mind but with VAR I just have an irrational hatred of the whole thing

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 10:21

WestYorksRoyal
Greatwesternline
NathStPaul Yeah that's outrageous. Hopefully a huge fine and their club account banned from social media posting.

I think they should sue Forest for defamation. These guys are professionals and it's ridiculous to suggest Attwell deliberately made Forest lose.

The officials have to declare their interests and are not involved in games where this is a perceived conflict. So they've not abided by their own policies.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Apr 2024 10:22

VAR should only interfere when in comes to obvious mistakes, if you have to draw lines on a screen it isn't obvious and therefore the on field decision should stand imo.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 10:23

SouthDownsRoyal When I watch cricket and there is a review it happens quickly openly and whichever way it goes i do t mind but with VAR I just have an irrational hatred of the whole thing

Also cricket is all about fine margins. Look at the size of the ball and how short the "pitch" is.

Football has a big ball and is played over a big field. The offside rule exists to stop players goal hanging, not to punish people in line with each other.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 10:26

SouthDownsRoyal
Greatwesternline
John Madejski's Wallet Pre VAR no-one would have complained at the goal standing. Gutted for Cov

I dont know what UEFA VARs do in their little box, but they only review very obvious offsides. Because I've seen dozens of goals where people are on the shoulder of the last defender and the play isnt delayed one bit, they simply dont check them unless there is a big gap.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Apr 2024 10:28

Greatwesternline
SouthDownsRoyal
Greatwesternline

I dont know what UEFA VARs do in their little box, but they only review very obvious offsides. Because I've seen dozens of goals where people are on the shoulder of the last defender and the play isnt delayed one bit, they simply dont check them unless there is a big gap.

IIRC wasn't there a suggestion when VAR came in that advantage should be with the attacker in close offside calls?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Apr 2024 10:29

Greatwesternline
SouthDownsRoyal When I watch cricket and there is a review it happens quickly openly and whichever way it goes i do t mind but with VAR I just have an irrational hatred of the whole thing

Also cricket is all about fine margins. Look at the size of the ball and how short the "pitch" is.

Football has a big ball and is played over a big field. The offside rule exists to stop players goal hanging, not to punish people in line with each other.

The comparison with cricket is a good one, where they have umpires call on LBW shouts for marginal decision. That creates its own controversies; sometimes they say "umpires call" and don't overturn a decision when it looks pretty obvious that the ball was going on to hit the stumps.

It's all well and good saying VAR should only give marginal offsides, but how do you define what is "marginal"? Different viewers will have different opinions. At least the current approach of giving offsides for toenails or eyebrows being off tries to be objective.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Apr 2024 10:38

Winston Biscuit enjoyed the video of the Man Utd fans outside Wembley, who quickly left when Cov thought they got the winner, but then heard it was VAR'd out, running to get back into the ground :lol:

I have an Arsenal supporting mate who left our infamous League Cup tie when they were 4-2 down with a minute of normal time remaining.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Apr 2024 10:41

Greatwesternline
SouthDownsRoyal
Greatwesternline

This makes sense

5804 posts