Weekend Football

5804 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Weekend Football

by paultheroyal » 22 Apr 2024 14:40

Sanguine
paultheroyal I will say it again - VAR should only be used for matter of fact things. Ball over the line, challenge awarded inside / outside the box, offside.

Those decisions yesterday were all about opinion and pretty much everyone has one. Let's go back to what we know and pretty much has existed before time - let the referee make the decision on the field of play for all game / contact matters. VAR only comes in for the above.

Its just getting ridiculous now.

Even 'challenge inside/out the box' could be subjective. Really you're advocating just for digital tech to govern the lines on the pitch, and binning VAR. I'd disagree. In VAR we have something that can work, but the standard of officiating seems to be getting worse.

Just think there is too much opinion regarding decisions, whipping up a media frenzy and the like. Just let the opinion become the referee. Matter of fact scenarios i.e. offside can be an aid.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Apr 2024 14:46

paultheroyal
Sanguine
paultheroyal I will say it again - VAR should only be used for matter of fact things. Ball over the line, challenge awarded inside / outside the box, offside.

Those decisions yesterday were all about opinion and pretty much everyone has one. Let's go back to what we know and pretty much has existed before time - let the referee make the decision on the field of play for all game / contact matters. VAR only comes in for the above.

Even 'challenge inside/out the box' could be subjective. Really you're advocating just for digital tech to govern the lines on the pitch, and binning VAR. I'd disagree. In VAR we have something that can work, but the standard of officiating seems to be getting worse.

Just think there is too much opinion regarding decisions, whipping up a media frenzy and the like. Just let the opinion become the referee. Matter of fact scenarios i.e. offside can be an aid.

VAR is still a net upside on 'correct decisions', I don't know why we'd go backwards on that.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Apr 2024 14:48

paultheroyal
Sanguine

Matter of fact … in both Ashley Young challenges it is clear that he kicked the man not the ball.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2024 15:12

final day of league 2 is on Saturday at 3pm. last day shenanigans for the 3 EFL divs is usually moved to a different time or day isn't it?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Apr 2024 15:28

Just saw the Everton incidents. Don't know if Stewie Atwell is bent but he's not very good at VARring

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Apr 2024 16:07

Winston Biscuit final day of league 2 is on Saturday at 3pm. last day shenanigans for the 3 EFL divs is usually moved to a different time or day isn't it?

Division 3/League One ends its season on Saturday at about 2.30pm
    Division 4/League Two finishes at around 5pm on Saturday
    Division 2/Championship is all over at about 2.30pm on Saturday 4 May

The National Leagues all completed on April 20

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 22 Apr 2024 16:30

Silver Fox Don't know if Stewie Atwell is bent

You can't call gays that anymore etc etc

We can't have Everton getting relegated, they've got a nice new stadium being built.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2024 17:47

WestYorksRoyal
Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal I think they should sue Forest for defamation. These guys are professionals and it's ridiculous to suggest Attwell deliberately made Forest lose.

So your view is that he's not biased, just completely incompetent

Yep, and he's still one of the best in the country which is why he's a PL official. We've seen ourselves what they have in the Championship and L1.

And when you see clubs facilitating abuse and conspiracies like Forest are, and setting an example for the grassroots that this behaviour is acceptable, is it any surprise the game struggles to attract enough talent? Clubs who publicly throw toys out of the pram are part of the problem - throw the fcuking book at them.

The assessment criteria for promoting refs are an absolute shambles and it's all still as much about pure luck and who you know, certainly at the lower levels and apparently higher too.

Local ref structure had one of their best refs happen to get a completely uneventful game first out this season, which meant he couldn’t score well on the assessment because he had bugger all to manage and that all but guaranteed he couldn’t score highly enough over the rest of the season to meet progression criteria.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2024 17:50

Sanguine

+1.

Paul's version does nothing to fix the sort of egregious decisions you get sometimes along the lines of ghost goal. I know that specific one is addressed by objective tech.

But how often do we see clear fouls missed. Elbows in faces, etc. Enough that an actually well managed VAR with proper parameters and use could address.

There should be nothing contraversial about accepting the ref can't possibly see everything on the pitch clearly enough to make every call right.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2024 17:55

I think this is where miking up everyone and playing it would help.

If the ref's seen something and is saying down comms to the other officials 'no contact, no contact, no contact' then it's an easy call to check a couple of replays and say 'there was substantial contact'.

Then everyone can see and hear what the issue is and why it's changed or not.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Apr 2024 18:33

Loafer
John Madejski's Wallet Seriously, who is a fanatical enough fan that they'd willingly corrupt a sport and put their entire job/career at risk to boot?

Just can't see it being a thing

You obviously never heard of that nba referee who was corrupt for years and betting in games he was reffing

Not really relevant as that's money-based corruption. I was talking about corruption just because you're a footy supporter. Any suggestion of it is bonkers

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2024 07:38

John Madejski's Wallet
Loafer
John Madejski's Wallet Seriously, who is a fanatical enough fan that they'd willingly corrupt a sport and put their entire job/career at risk to boot?

Just can't see it being a thing

You obviously never heard of that nba referee who was corrupt for years and betting in games he was reffing

Not really relevant as that's money-based corruption. I was talking about corruption just because you're a footy supporter. Any suggestion of it is bonkers

Unless you count not declaring a conflict of interest as corruption. In which case we're reliay informed it's widespread.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2024 08:18

Leicester Vs Southampton tonight.

Southampton losing means they can only finish in the play offs, but also that result will surely also mean Leicester are going up automatically too?!

never cheered for Southampton before but will be tonight.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Apr 2024 09:33

Bernardo Silva played 120 minutes against Madrid and then 90 minutes against Chelsea.

Matheus Nunes was an unused sub in both.

I simply can’t sympathise with big clubs complaining about player welfare with fixture congestion whilst refusing to use their squad’s full depth.

Read this view on Twitter, and it seems a reasonable one, set against Guardiola's rant. Thoughts?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2024 09:35

Sanguine Bernardo Silva played 120 minutes against Madrid and then 90 minutes against Chelsea.

Matheus Nunes was an unused sub in both.

I simply can’t sympathise with big clubs complaining about player welfare with fixture congestion whilst refusing to use their squad’s full depth.

Read this view on Twitter, and it seems a reasonable one, set against Guardiola's rant. Thoughts?

It's a fair view, why have a player on the bench that you seem to have no intention of throwing on.

The big clubs play very few replays anyway, so we all know it was never about that.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2024 21:23

Leicester 2-0 up. This as good as promotes them imo :x

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2024 21:29

Cheltenham keeping the relegation banter open for the final day

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Apr 2024 21:39

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Apr 2024 21:54

genome

Would love em to win the PL.
As for Chelsea....how the hell does Casadie get in into Chelsea's first team.
Nothing of what I saw of him with us suggested he was ever going to make it there. Absolute lightweight.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Apr 2024 21:57

Ascotexgunner Would love em to win the PL

Username checks out

5804 posts