Weekend Football

5947 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Silver Fox » 30 Apr 2024 15:30

I'm suggesting that the concept of financial far play is oxymoronic when every year there are 3 teams who are on a massively higher level financially than the rest and that's before whatever shenanigans Leicester have been up to, despite selling some players, that will allegedly get them in trouble with the authorities of whichever league they are in next year

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Apr 2024 20:17

Til Keifer Moore plays for Ipswich

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 30 Apr 2024 21:02

Would love it if Ipswich go up instead of leeds

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Apr 2024 21:56

Loafer Would love it if Ipswich go up instead of leeds

Not half, but goodness me this is tense all action stuff.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Apr 2024 22:03

GTFI!

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 30 Apr 2024 22:03

Great result. All Ipswich need to do now is not lose against Huddersfield and they'll be up regardless of what Leeds do against Southampton.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2024 22:32

Clyde1998 Great result. All Ipswich need to do now is not lose against Huddersfield and they'll be up regardless of what Leeds do against Southampton.

Surely Leeds deserve extra points for being the best supported club in England?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 May 2024 07:54

Most right minded people in the world hate Leeds.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 May 2024 08:21

leon Most right minded people in the world hate Leeds.

I have to be very polite with friends and colleagues where I live; the sense of entitlement is obscene. Relegation last year really hurt them as they thought they were "back" in their rightful place and the wilderness years were over. There are plenty of big clubs like Sunderland, Southampton and Norwich who spend a lot of time outside the PL without the same attitude.

I hope we're coming out of our own wilderness years, but if the takeover happens I won't say we deserve promotion because we're Reading and we're back. We deserve to be in L1 and if a smaller club like Lincoln finishes above us, fair play they will deserve it.

There's not the same respect for Ipswich's achievement in Leeds. Instead it's outrage and incredulity that they have dared take their promotion spot.

I also spent part of my 6th form/young adult years in Essex surrounding by West Ham fans, and it reminds me of how they acted when we won the league in 2012.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 May 2024 09:05

WestYorksRoyal

I have to be very polite with friends and colleagues where I live; the sense of entitlement is obscene. Relegation last year really hurt them as they thought they were "back" in their rightful place and the wilderness years were over. There are plenty of big clubs like Sunderland, Southampton and Norwich who spend a lot of time outside the PL without the same attitude.

I hope we're coming out of our own wilderness years, but if the takeover happens I won't say we deserve promotion because we're Reading and we're back. We deserve to be in L1 and if a smaller club like Lincoln finishes above us, fair play they will deserve it.

There's not the same respect for Ipswich's achievement in Leeds. Instead it's outrage and incredulity that they have dared take their promotion spot.

I also spent part of my 6th form/young adult years in Essex surrounding by West Ham fans, and it reminds me of how they acted when we won the league in 2012.

never had a problem with Ipswich however Norwich have always had a high opinion of themselves. As have Sunderland.

Spot on about West Ham lived there for 3 years back in the days when they were terrible and they were convinced that there’d be some terrible miscarriage of justice.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 May 2024 09:13

Sunderland are the classic 'we are too big for this league' club, who seem to feel its their right to be in the top division and anything less is a disgrace. Their sacking of Mowbray this season when they were around the play off places is a good example of this

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 May 2024 09:14

Clyde1998 Great result. All Ipswich need to do now is not lose against Huddersfield and they'll be up regardless of what Leeds do against Southampton.

With Huddersfield all but down, I can't see them looking to do Leeds a favour.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 01 May 2024 09:47

Ipswich promoted and Birmingham relegated this Saturday please :)

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 01 May 2024 09:50

leon
WestYorksRoyal

never had a problem with Ipswich however Norwich have always had a high opinion of themselves. As have Sunderland.

Spot on about West Ham lived there for 3 years back in the days when they were terrible and they were convinced that there’d be some terrible miscarriage of justice.

I have a soft spot for Ipswich, haven't spent silly money to gain success and have family who support them. Would be brilliant to see them go up

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2024 09:52

Winston Biscuit Sunderland are the classic 'we are too big for this league' club, who seem to feel its their right to be in the top division and anything less is a disgrace. Their sacking of Mowbray this season when they were around the play off places is a good example of this

ShambLOLes of a club. Would say more likely to be relegated next season than promoted.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 May 2024 07:38

Franchise FC
Silver Fox
Winston Biscuit 6th highest wage bill in the PL when relegated, brought in £100M from selling 3 players last summer while also receiving parachute payments on top of that, were able to keep their players on those PL wages incl Jamie Vardy being on £140,000 a week, stumbled over the line having looked like they were going to throw promotion away

real fairytale stuff there.

FinanciaLOL faiROFL pLOLay

Whilst I think that they have been playing with fire a bit, to say that bringing in £100m from selling players is contrary to FFP is a bit …. WTF are you thinking they should have done …. given them away ?
Plenty of clubs have successfully survived and built their entire model on selling a player or two to meet FFP requirements.

Indeed, had RFC sold Joao, Swift, Moore, etc. they MAY have avoided the FFP issues
Would we then have been saying it was unfair ?

Yeah, but they made a loss of £93m in the Premier League last season, which is why, even with going up, they are flirting with an FFP breach.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 May 2024 07:59

From Despair To Where?
Franchise FC
Silver Fox
FinanciaLOL faiROFL pLOLay

Whilst I think that they have been playing with fire a bit, to say that bringing in £100m from selling players is contrary to FFP is a bit …. WTF are you thinking they should have done …. given them away ?
Plenty of clubs have successfully survived and built their entire model on selling a player or two to meet FFP requirements.

Indeed, had RFC sold Joao, Swift, Moore, etc. they MAY have avoided the FFP issues
Would we then have been saying it was unfair ?

Yeah, but they made a loss of £93m in the Premier League last season, which is why, even with going up, they are flirting with an FFP breach.

I was merely pointing out that player sales are the lifeblood of MOST teams so they shouldn’t be lambasted for THAT specifically

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2024 19:41

I reckon:

Ipswich win 2-0
Leeds draw 2-2
Birmingham win 3-0
Plymouth and Hull draw 1-1
Sheffield Wednesday win 3-1 at Sunderland
Blackburn get a 1-1 at Leicester

Birmingham survive. Plymouth go down with Hudds and Rotherham

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 May 2024 19:46

Leeds apparently owe 180 million in unpaid transfer fees.....surely an FFP breach is on the cards if they fail to go up.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 May 2024 20:52

Ascotexgunner Leeds apparently owe 180 million in unpaid transfer fees.....surely an FFP breach is on the cards if they fail to go up.

Shirley, that’s not an FFP breach, it’s a football creditor regulation that’s been around for decades

5947 posts