Weekend Football

5738 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2024 09:21

Sanguine
Sutekh
Sanguine We do have a cracking title race, don't we? It's a shame that race is now curtailed by an international break. Three weeks until teams play again.

Obviously best result for Liverpool at the Etihad is a draw. They could be top again if they can beat Brighton at home.

Spurs are going to have a massive say in all this. Not only do they still have to play each of the top 3, they play them in a row, hosting City on 20th April, Arsenal a week later, and then going to Anfield.

Imagine the trip to Anfield could be well spicy with a very very "up for it" Liverpool. Looking forward to the farcical way that PGMOL will find to ruin it already.

Am just waiting for the announcement that Paul Tierney will referee, with Simon Hooper on VAR.

And David Coote as 4th official.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Mar 2024 09:41

Sutekh
And it seems Liverpool do find themselves on the worst end of many of these incredulous decisions.

That’s only because the “bigger” teams draw more attention. It’s evident everywhere

Don’t particularly understand the handball law myself but from the naked eye, it seems like West Ham have been extremely unlucky this week from the handball given against Zouma last week to the non-penalty on Thursday against Freiburg in the 95th minute and the non-penalty yesterday in the 95th minute

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Mar 2024 09:48

Beginning to feel like when, not if, Southgate gives Quansah a call-up. Immense again yesterday. Bizarre to think he was playing for Bristol Rovers last season, and by most accounts, not setting the world alight.

Elliott's terrific form continued - he must be an outside bet for the Euros squad.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Mar 2024 10:56

Perhaps the most unnoticed element of Arsenal's form is their defence. Just four goals conceded in their last eight, and one of those Ramsdale's error, one an own goal.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Mar 2024 11:37

Pictures emerge of the ref's view of Doku's challenge on MacAllister

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 11 Mar 2024 16:40

Sutekh There's something very questionable with the standard of refereeing at the moment, not just in the lower divisions where you expect to see people learning and mistakes being made, but at the highest level in this country, with the aid of slow-mo's and replays, where it is almost unacceptable for there to be errors made. Seems VAR has done nothing but made the game a laughing stock. PGMOL should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

And it seems Liverpool do find themselves on the worst end of many of these incredulous decisions.

Apart from the game the other week when they benefited from the ball given back to them :roll:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Mar 2024 20:01

I just learned that Tino Livramento is from Croydon and has played for England under 21's

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Mar 2024 09:15

Winston Biscuit I just learned that Tino Livramento is from Croydon and has played for England under 21's

Prior to this season had a year out with an ACL tear. Originally Chelsea academy player. But yes, very well thought of - hence Newcastle paying £40m for him despite his injury. Before the move he had more appearances for England's age group sides than he had senior games for Southampton.

Dad is Portuguese, Mum is Scottish. Southgate might have to cap him soon.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Mar 2024 10:34

by my own guesswork, I am thinking top 5 will get CL this year as one of the extra spots will be given to the PL (currently Serie A & Bundesliga are leading the way but I think the PL will end up taking one)

I think one of the teams qualifying for CL will win the FA Cup, and Liverpool already won the League Cup so the ECL spot goes to a league placing too

That would mean:
1-5th = CL
6th & 7th = EL
8th = ECL

Chelsea in 11th place are currently 4 points behind 7th and 3 points behind 8th and have a game in hand on both

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2024 11:36

Sanguine
Winston Biscuit I just learned that Tino Livramento is from Croydon and has played for England under 21's

Prior to this season had a year out with an ACL tear. Originally Chelsea academy player. But yes, very well thought of - hence Newcastle paying £40m for him despite his injury. Before the move he had more appearances for England's age group sides than he had senior games for Southampton.

Won't hold my breath on that...

Has Olise been capped yet by France, seems to me England have a better midfield than the French and there's no reason England couldn't achieve more in the next 10 years than France (though just maybe not under GS).

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Mar 2024 12:13

Sutekh
Sanguine

Won't hold my breath on that...

Has Olise been capped yet by France, seems to me England have a better midfield than the French and there's no reason England couldn't achieve more in the next 10 years than France (though just maybe not under GS).

With Walker and Tripper both 33 years old, I'd actually be surprised if Livramento isn't picked at some point this year, probably for the Nations League in September.

Olise hasn't quite got there yet - last I read he was considering switching to Algeria (through his mother).

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Mar 2024 12:31

Merson the other day said only 1 French player would get into England's starting XI. I know its Merson so its to be ignored, but it started a interesting debate of what your combined XI would be

I had 6 frenchmen and 5 englishmen in mine

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Mar 2024 13:26

It's so sad to see that Merson has fallen off the wagon.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Mar 2024 13:30

Winston Biscuit Merson the other day said only 1 French player would get into England's starting XI. I know its Merson so its to be ignored, but it started a interesting debate of what your combined XI would be

Maignan

Walker
Stones
French CB
Hernandez

Rice
Bellingham
French CM

Foden
Kane
Mbappe

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Mar 2024 13:35

Maignan

Walker
Stones
Saliba
Hernandez

Rice
Bellingham
Tchouameni

Griezmann
Kane
Mbappe

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2024 14:43

Winston Biscuit Merson the other day said only 1 French player would get into England's starting XI. I know its Merson so its to be ignored, but it started a interesting debate of what your combined XI would be

I think my combined XI would be

Ramsdale
Gusto Konate Saliba Hernandez
TAA Bellingham Rice Tchouameni
Kane Mbappe

For me it's the defensive side where England mostly lose out, there are a number of fairly decent younger defensive players like Guehi, Branthwaite and Tomasi but the idiot never picks them so it's difficult to know how they'd manage at international level. Stuck for a keeper as well as not entirely convinced by any from either nation.

Two friendlies coming up so I would EXPECT to see the likes of Guehi, Konsa and Tomasi being given shots rather than the same old, "know what he can do" faces that will likely still get the nod just because Southgate is a plank.

Who did Merson put with Mbappe?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Mar 2024 22:19

Ramsdale :D

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Mar 2024 23:34

Winston Biscuit Maignan

Walker
Stones
Saliba
Hernandez

Rice
Bellingham
Tchouameni

Griezmann
Kane
Mbappe

See you've been sucked in by the Griezmann propaganda.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 13 Mar 2024 08:57

Two. He's still an idiot though.

4-2-3-1
Maignan

Walker
Stones
Saliba
Theo Hernandez

Tchouaméni
Rice

Foden
Bellingham
Mbappé

Kane

A few easy ones like keeper and the full backs. Also, Rice over Rabiot, who presumably starts for France over Camavinga because of experience and Rabiot is a regular midfield starter at club level while Camavinga is shifted around a bit by Ancelotti.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 13 Mar 2024 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Mar 2024 10:12

Pepe the Horseman

Maignan

Walker
Stones
French CB
Hernandez

Rice
Bellingham
French CM

Foden
Kane
Mbappe