The Brits Abroad Thread

134 posts
6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Brits Abroad Thread

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Nov 2023 11:34

Winston Biscuit 19 year old Mohamed-Ali Cho has been one of Real Sociedad's stand out players this season. From Staines

Wikipedia seems to think that's Stains the suburb of Paris not Staines the shithole near London.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Nov 2023 11:39

6ft Kerplunk
Winston Biscuit 19 year old Mohamed-Ali Cho has been one of Real Sociedad's stand out players this season. From Staines

Wikipedia seems to think that's Stains the suburb of Paris not Staines the shithole near London.

LOL. that'll be me getting it wrong then. I saw a brief interview with him and it said he was originally from near London, and I wiki'd it to see where and assumed our Staines, rather than their Stains

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Nov 2023 12:15

I'm imaging a sitcom where his dad accepts a job without properly checking the location and the family have to leave Stains for Staines.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Jan 2024 21:15

In case you didn't know, Dennis Wise is President of Como in Serie B and last month he made former Welsh national team assistant Osian Roberts the first team manager. Cesc Fabrigas is also one of the coaches.

They are in 2nd place in the league

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 21 Jan 2024 21:43

6ft Kerplunk I'm imaging a sitcom where his dad accepts a job without properly checking the location and the family have to leave Stains for Staines.

...vaguely remember a sub-plot-line within the Beiderbecke Affair/Tapes, where an ageing comedian, known to the lead (James Bolam) character was on a ferry to Rotterdam for a gig.
.... he admitted he must have misheard his agent telling him to go to a booking in Rotherham ! :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jan 2024 07:34

6ft Kerplunk

20 years old. Signed a 4.5 year deal with Nice after a 12m Euro switch earlier this month. Internationally he is eligible for Morocco (mother), Ivory Coast (father), France (born), England (mainly grew up). Has played for England u15 and u16 but has most recently opted for France u21.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Jan 2024 10:58

6ft Kerplunk

have you ever been to staines :? its certainly not a shithole :|

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Jan 2024 11:22

Brogue
6ft Kerplunk

I see this a lot - I think because (a) it sounds shit (Stains) and (b) Ali G. But for the latter part of the joke was he was from a middle class leafy area rather than some inner city gangster.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2024 16:20

Green
Brogue
6ft Kerplunk Wikipedia seems to think that's Stains the suburb of Paris not Staines the shithole near London.

I see this a lot - I think because (a) it sounds shit (Stains) and (b) Ali G. But for the latter part of the joke was he was from a middle class leafy area rather than some inner city gangster.

It's a dump and pretentious with it having suddenly decided to acquire "on Thames" as a suffix about 10 years ago in an effort to be "up market" and therefore make it easier to explain to Staines Town supporters why the council didn't really want their football club when it needed help. Plus it's the only town I know that put its "out of town" retail park actually in the town centre. And it's a right bottleneck at rush hour esp. if the M25 is in a bad way.

Still, better than Chertsey though.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Feb 2024 12:17

Jack Harper, the Scottish lad we have discussed on here before, who came up through the Real Madrid youth system, was let go by Getafe in the summer and is now playing for Marbella in the 4th div, which lokks to be his 8th club in Spain

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Apr 2024 12:12

Former Middlesbrough midfielder Luke Williams just starting his 3rd season playing in the Iceland 3rd tier at 30 years old :?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2024 15:14

He plays there with former Chesterfield & Bracknell player Reece Mitchell.

Can't imagine they earn too much playing at that level. Their clubs stadium has a bigger capacity than the town has citizens.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Apr 2024 15:18

Stranded He plays there with former Chesterfield & Bracknell player Reece Mitchell.

Can't imagine they earn too much playing at that level. Their clubs stadium has a bigger capacity than the town has citizens.

Got to allow for 120 away fans :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Apr 2024 16:38

Hendo
Stranded He plays there with former Chesterfield & Bracknell player Reece Mitchell.

Got to allow for 120 away fans :wink:

More of their ground...

134 posts