Chester FC

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Chester FC

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jan 2022 11:01

I guess stuff like online gambling has given greyhound racing a proper kick in the nads.

Been to a couple of greyhound meets but the prospect of chicken in a basket in pretty rudimentary facilties isn't a big draw.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2022 12:33

One of Reading Greyhounds dying throes sometime around 2005, was their £5 deal…entrance, racecard, a pint, sausage and chips and a £1 tote bet.
Came home £30 up even after a belly full of beer 8)

Think the online/televised thing maybe gives them an added sense of purpose?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 21 Jan 2022 00:15

From Despair To Where? I guess stuff like online gambling has given greyhound racing a proper kick in the nads.

Been to a couple of greyhound meets but the prospect of chicken in a basket in pretty rudimentary facilties isn't a big draw.

I mean yeh +1 for sure, and I don't know what it's like in your part of the world - but I found it baffling they didn't try and modernise (and dare I say gentrify) the offering.

Not even talking about the £2 on every race set up, that's fine. But yes why were we subjected to horrible food, horrible drink and horrible facilities. Maybe it's just something to confine to history but I find it sad it's gone down without a fight.