Commentators' 'magic of the FA Cup' not understood by foreigners crap

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Commentators' 'magic of the FA Cup' not understood by foreigners crap

by Cripple Creek » 10 Jan 2022 13:35

Jeez it makes my blood boil.
Some interviewer on ITV with a player and suggesting to him that foreign managers 'don't understand' the aura around the FA Cup. Footballer's very reasonable response: 'No not really. I think the manager understands what the FA Cup means in this country and its history.' Interviewer insisting: 'But I imagine it takes a while to really understand what the FA Cup means?'. Footabller managing admirably to contain their exasperation: 'Not really.'
Surely this sort of smug, jingoistic bollocks should have died a death a long time ago. Apart from anything else it is insulting to the footballer being asked the question.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Commentators' 'magic of the FA Cup' not understood by foreigners crap

by South Coast Royal » 10 Jan 2022 14:16

Agree with you CC.
The issue is not that foreign managers don't get it but ours don't either when they put out weakened teams, believing that whatever league they are in is more important.

This weekend I liked it that so many Championship clubs (with Reading being a notable exception) put out mainly their first teams and those "foreign" managers, in particular Pep and Tuchel put out very strong sides (yes I know they have very strong squads) against far, far weaker opposition.

If only ITV and BBC understood the magic of the FA Cup they might have shown Kidderminster (thank goodness they didn't :wink: )and Boreham Wood rather than routine Premier League fixtures such as West Ham v Leeds and Man Utd v A Villa which we can see so often.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Commentators' 'magic of the FA Cup' not understood by foreigners crap

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2022 15:06

South Coast Royal Agree with you CC.
The issue is not that foreign managers don't get it but ours don't either when they put out weakened teams, believing that whatever league they are in is more important.

This weekend I liked it that so many Championship clubs (with Reading being a notable exception) put out mainly their first teams and those "foreign" managers, in particular Pep and Tuchel put out very strong sides (yes I know they have very strong squads) against far, far weaker opposition.

If only ITV and BBC understood the magic of the FA Cup they might have shown Kidderminster (thank goodness they didn't :wink: )and Boreham Wood rather than routine Premier League fixtures such as West Ham v Leeds and Man Utd v A Villa which we can see so often.

+1 here. We can all understand the need for some fringe players to get a run out but when you make wholesale changes, there’s very little cohesion on the pitch and it isn’t an accurate assessment of each players abilities

Noticed that West Ham only made a couple of changes too (and they have the extra “excuse” of being in Europe with a small squad)

On your last point, the most ironic thing is those exact two games you mentioned are two of the televised Prem games this upcoming weekend! Competition has become a bit of a farce unfortunately

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1