Don Revie

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Don Revie

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jan 2022 11:03

This article on the BBC website caught my attention.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-60174037

Was Don Revie a victim of "cancel culture"?

Personally, I remember seeing an interview with Emlyn Hughes when Revie died where he claimed that Revie was only interested in money and failed to understand what motivated people to play for England. As a result, the players never warmed to him and he lost interest.

Banning for 10 years was maybe harsh but I get the distinct feeling there was never any great love for Revie outside Leeds and its not all down to the "Dirty Leeds" tag.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Don Revie

by Royal Rother » 29 Jan 2022 11:29

Brian Clough hated him didn’t he?

But wouldn’t say why.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 29 Jan 2022 11:48

Why the fcuk would anyone bring this up now?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2022 12:20

Though he was a good manager and built a very strong Leeds side, calling him the greatest manager the country has ever seen in the article is a bit over the top, however the initial ban DR got was totally ridiculous.

As I recall the England team wasn’t doing particularly well at the time and as you’d expect the manager, Revie, was getting it in the neck from fans and press and he just decided enough is enough and walked away before the FA decided to get rid of him first.

The trouble was he told one of the papers in an exclusive what he was going to do and that leaked out before the “old boy network” at the FA got his resignation letter, so after that he was always going to be hung out to dry and the fact he’d been a big stupid, by agreeing the deal in the UAE before resigning, gave them every reason to throw the book at him.

That it had all come to that in the first place is not really a surprise, the England team of old had been on the wane since the early 70s and by 73/74 many of the old guard had or were coming to the end of their careers so Revie had really to start over and build a new squad for the future.

Trouble was while there was the talent available I don’t think it really fitted the style of play Revie preferred so I think there was a lot of chopping and changing and experimentation which, while England remained one of the better sides, made for a lot of disappointing results that really culminated in pathetic sized wins over the minnows of the time in the WC qualification group (Luxembourg only beaten by 5 at Wembley and Finland by only 2-1 at the same venue).

All of it could have been avoided if DR had simply gone to the FA earlier to resign or come to some sort of “mutual agreement” package. Even after a not brilliant reign as England boss he would have been in demand (think there was some suggestion he’d take up the ManU job if he left England) as the UAE interest showed albeit a bit too quickly.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jan 2022 17:48

BROB0T Why the fcuk would anyone bring this up now?

Using your position as an MP to generate interest in a biography of Don Revie that you've just written?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1