Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Champions League, Europa League & Europa Conference League 22/23

by Sutekh » 23 May 2023 12:38

Stranded
From Despair To Where?
Winston Biscuit Champions League becomes an abomination the season after next

Europe League as well, I think

Conference League too.

36 teams in a league, 8 games (6 in the Conference) - top 8 qualify straight to knock out - 9th to 24th play an extra knock-out round.

Gladly swap all three competitions for one simple straight knockout over two legs cup competition. But of course that'll never happen 'cos a big club might cock it up in the first round and therefore not get very much money for their effort, in fact - horror of horrors - small clubs might start getting money too :o

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 May 2023 14:55

heard a euro journalist make a slightly throwaway comment the other day when talking about the Conference League and he said how he thinks it has been a really positive thing but then said he is disappointed to see a PL team in the last 2 and said 'well done but its not really FOR you guys'

The point he was making was that the competition has made a really positive impact for the leagues that wouldn't normally get a chance, and the experience for the teams, the fans and then the extra money it brings in for those teams/leagues has been great....and then the money boys from England turn up. The gap between West Ham's income and some of the teams in the Conf League is bigger than the top earners in the Champs League and lesser teams there.

Do you think a euro tournament designed only for certain leagues/countries would be a decent idea?

I also like the idea of a 2nd tier euro comp! Select nations 2nd tiers get together to hold a little tournament. Segunda, Serie B, Bundesliga 2 & The Championship! :D :D :D

The 'Ding Massive have an awayday in Zaragoza!!!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 May 2023 15:28

Winston Biscuit heard a euro journalist make a slightly throwaway comment the other day when talking about the Conference League and he said how he thinks it has been a really positive thing but then said he is disappointed to see a PL team in the last 2 and said 'well done but its not really FOR you guys'

The point he was making was that the competition has made a really positive impact for the leagues that wouldn't normally get a chance, and the experience for the teams, the fans and then the extra money it brings in for those teams/leagues has been great....and then the money boys from England turn up. The gap between West Ham's income and some of the teams in the Conf League is bigger than the top earners in the Champs League and lesser teams there.

Do you think a euro tournament designed only for certain leagues/countries would be a decent idea?

I also like the idea of a 2nd tier euro comp! Select nations 2nd tiers get together to hold a little tournament. Segunda, Serie B, Bundesliga 2 & The Championship! :D :D :D

The 'Ding Massive have an awayday in Zaragoza!!!

Dont know, whereas it'd be good for teams stuck in Scottish football for example, I'd miss the LOL's of sides like West Ham bigging it up if they win the Johnstone's Paint Trophy equivalent of European football.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 May 2023 23:34

Sevilla’s record is incredible in the EL. I do think there’s something in stopping the 3rd place team in each CL group from entering the EL but no doubt that’ll all change soon anyway with the new formats

Was a poor game though. Antics from both teams and benches were embarrassing, unfortunately Taylor never really got a grip of the game

Not enough incentives to cut out all the cheating and play acting. Until they clamp down harder on it, it will only get worse and worse

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2023 08:54

URZZZZ Sevilla’s record is incredible in the EL. I do think there’s something in stopping the 3rd place team in each CL group from entering the EL but no doubt that’ll all change soon anyway with the new formats

Was a poor game though. Antics from both teams and benches were embarrassing, unfortunately Taylor never really got a grip of the game

Not enough incentives to cut out all the cheating and play acting. Until they clamp down harder on it, it will only get worse and worse

Agree it wasn't a great spectacle, probably summed up in injury time of extra time where they ended up playing 10 extra minutes. I get it's all gamesmanship and teams wanting to do whatever possible to win but it was over the top.

I didn't even think the game itself was full of quality either. Although Dybala looked like the best player on the park until he went off.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jun 2023 09:05

So pleased for Jose.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Jun 2023 09:16

Seen a video of Mourinho allegedly approaching the referees in the car park afterwards to have his say. That is a big old ban coming his way.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jun 2023 09:24

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ Sevilla’s record is incredible in the EL. I do think there’s something in stopping the 3rd place team in each CL group from entering the EL but no doubt that’ll all change soon anyway with the new formats

Agree it wasn't a great spectacle, probably summed up in injury time of extra time where they ended up playing 10 extra minutes. I get it's all gamesmanship and teams wanting to do whatever possible to win but it was over the top.

I didn't even think the game itself was full of quality either. Although Dybala looked like the best player on the park until he went off.

It was odd - we all know Mourinho plays conservatively especially in the big games but I can’t understand playing for penalties when your team is littered with CB’s or CM’s. It’s no surprise Roma lost with their two CB’s missing their penalties

Similar to West Brom a few years back in the playoffs where they went down to 10 men, hung on desperately for penalties but they had around 5CB’s out of 9 outfield players, not going to work

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jun 2023 09:29

NathStPaul Seen a video of Mourinho allegedly approaching the referees in the car park afterwards to have his say. That is a big old ban coming his way.

Yeah, shouldn’t be getting away with things like that. Unless you’re Bruno Fernandes, of course

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Jun 2023 09:30

I thought the ref had a really good game FWIW.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2023 09:47

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99

It was odd - we all know Mourinho plays conservatively especially in the big games but I can’t understand playing for penalties when your team is littered with CB’s or CM’s. It’s no surprise Roma lost with their two CB’s missing their penalties

Similar to West Brom a few years back in the playoffs where they went down to 10 men, hung on desperately for penalties but they had around 5CB’s out of 9 outfield players, not going to work

I'm surprised he didn't have most of the forward players take the penalties at first as well.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jun 2023 09:50

NathStPaul I thought the ref had a really good game FWIW.

Don’t think he got any of the contentious calls wrong (not particularly aware of the handball law anymore so no idea if Roma should have been given a penalty) but I just felt he didn’t control the game brilliantly

Albeit a difficult game to ref given the behaviour of both teams

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Jun 2023 09:59

URZZZZ

Don’t think he got any of the contentious calls wrong (not particularly aware of the handball law anymore so no idea if Roma should have been given a penalty) but I just felt he didn’t control the game brilliantly

It was one of those games that was largely impossible to control, he did the best possible job of it given the circumstances imo. The alternative would have been to dish out red cards all over the place and he'd have then been criticised for being to harsh and ruining the final. He was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Jun 2023 12:09

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jun 2023 17:04

Staying classy as ever, the objectionable pcunt.

Obviously my opinion of him is well documented on here but he never makes any effort to prove me wrong.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Jun 2023 18:18

Are we all Citeh on Saturday? I'll be genuinely gutted if they don't win.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 03 Jun 2023 19:14

Pepe the Horseman Are we all Citeh on Saturday? I'll be genuinely gutted if they don't win.

Go Sportswashchester City boys.

YoungRon

by YoungRon » 05 Jun 2023 06:48

NathStPaul
URZZZZ

It was one of those games that was largely impossible to control, he did the best possible job of it given the circumstances imo. The alternative would have been to dish out red cards all over the place and he'd have then been criticised for being to harsh and ruining the final. He was caught between a rock and a hard place.

And how else will he teach discipline on the football field, apart from red cards?
I'm all for red cards if players behave in an unsportsmanlike and unprofessional manner.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Jun 2023 20:21

It's all Fiorentina so far

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 07 Jun 2023 20:38

Idiot West ham fans

401 posts