What one thing about modern football annoys you most?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: What one thing about modern football annoys you most?

by Hendo » 11 Aug 2022 14:01

paultheroyal XG was the final straw!

Yeah, xG and xA can get in the bin.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Aug 2022 14:16

At Reading, and seemingly at nearly every crowded gathering, Sweet Caroline.
WTF has she to do with RFC?

Players appealing when they know it isn't their throw-in.
Retired players on the radio who can barely put two words together-it's radio where the spoken word is what matters. :evil:
Not just in football but people in the crowd going mad and pointing when the camera has picked them out.

Apologies, more than one thing as requested by the OP.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Aug 2022 14:26

South Coast Royal Retired players on the radio who can barely put two words together-it's radio where the spoken word is what matters. :evil:

They can, they can string five words together. Unfortunately, those five words are always "at this moment in time" when they actually mean "now."

Why is this so prevalent among ex-players? :roll:

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 11 Aug 2022 14:51

South Coast Royal Not just in football but people in the crowd going mad and pointing when the camera has picked them out.

This, particularly when their team is losing an important match and they look like they're about to cry until they realise they're on the big screen and all of a sudden its big smiles and waves. Would love it if somebody in that situation would just flick the Vs at the camera whilst mouthing f*ck off you c*nt.

The other timewasting one that does my head in is keepers catching the ball at chest height under no pressure whatsoever who then fall to the ground lying on top of it to protect it from absolutely nothing for no reason other than to waste 10 seconds. Should be an instant yellow card.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Aug 2022 15:19

6ft Kerplunk
South Coast Royal Not just in football but people in the crowd going mad and pointing when the camera has picked them out.

This, particularly when their team is losing an important match and they look like they're about to cry until they realise they're on the big screen and all of a sudden its big smiles and waves. Would love it if somebody in that situation would just flick the Vs at the camera whilst mouthing f*ck off you c*nt.

The other timewasting one that does my head in is keepers catching the ball at chest height under no pressure whatsoever who then fall to the ground lying on top of it to protect it from absolutely nothing for no reason other than to waste 10 seconds. Should be an instant yellow card.

Agreed and Pickford is a guilty party here, copied by England women's keeper.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Aug 2022 15:20

South Coast Royal Retired players on the radio who can barely put two words together-it's radio where the spoken word is what matters. :evil:

Remember when Dean Windass had a stint on Soccer Saturday and it was unwatchable.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Aug 2022 15:22

Clinton Morrison spent the whole West Ham match on Sunday calling their striker "Sacca-macca"

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Aug 2022 15:23

Dirk Gently

They can, they can string five words together. Unfortunately, those five words are always "at this moment in time" when they actually mean "now."

Why is this so prevalent among ex-players? :roll:

I think they feel that they have to speak for a while when being concise would be enough.
There also are quite a few malaprop types including Trevor Sinclair who is verbally out of his depth if on the radio with Simon Jordan who generally gets his big words right and poor old Trevor tries to match him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Aug 2022 15:28

Fans. I can't stand the lad culture, bravado, chest beating nonsense... it's all so immature.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Aug 2022 15:43

6ft Kerplunk

:lol: my son does that and he's 11 :lol:

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 11 Aug 2022 17:08

Can only blame the parents.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Aug 2022 18:01

6ft Kerplunk Can only blame the parents.

Hold my hands up and encouraged it at a football tournament this season. :oops:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Aug 2022 18:49

South Coast Royal At Reading, and seemingly at nearly every crowded gathering, Sweet Caroline.
WTF has she to do with RFC?

Players appealing when they know it isn't their throw-in.
Retired players on the radio who can barely put two words together-it's radio where the spoken word is what matters. :evil:
Not just in football but people in the crowd going mad and pointing when the camera has picked them out.

Apologies, more than one thing as requested by the OP.

Sweet Caroline was just us a while back, now it seems every club and it`s dog have picked it up, Neil Diamond must be loving it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Aug 2022 18:52

Its the same with 24 hr news in general but saturation media coverage. It just results in endless drivel masquerading as news and places too much importance on the opinions of idiots.

The currently situation at Barca utterly bemuses me. Just totally indicative of a club and fan base that sees success as a God given right and thinks they can do whatever they want with zero consequences. The fact that there is saturation news coverage every time a Barca player farts, doesn't help.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Aug 2022 18:55

I for one don`t turn on the telly for the endless drivel for an hour before the games and mostly turn it off at the final whistle unless something happens that I want to hear about, which is rarely.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 11 Aug 2022 21:11

Barcelona
Psg

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 12 Aug 2022 10:56

paultheroyal XG was the final straw!

For a poster who likes a bet this is an awful take :wink:

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 13 Aug 2022 22:18

With all the people jaded about the millions and billions in modern soccer, would be interesting to see a counter to that like non league / not for profit soccer league.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Aug 2022 10:04

I’m sure it’s been covered but players who are fouled and go down and roll around like they have been shot then as soon as they get the free kick or penalty they stop and get up.

Saw it again on the Wolves Fulham game, bit 50/50 but Fulham player brought down in penalty area, but not big contact and clearly no injury but he was rolling around like he was In dire pain, whistle goes, penalty, oh I’m ok now.

It’s a bit boring

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Aug 2022 11:25

SouthDownsRoyal I’m sure it’s been covered but players who are fouled and go down and roll around like they have been shot then as soon as they get the free kick or penalty they stop and get up.

Saw it again on the Wolves Fulham game, bit 50/50 but Fulham player brought down in penalty area, but not big contact and clearly no injury but he was rolling around like he was In dire pain, whistle goes, penalty, oh I’m ok now.

It’s a bit boring

Same when they go own holding their faces when are brushed by an arm or not near the face at all.
In the same game Mitrovic committed a bookable foul from behind and then stuck his head in the guys face, both got a yellow, but he should have got two plus a red.