Changes In Football thread

125 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Changes In Football thread

by Sutekh » 17 Oct 2022 13:08

Winston Biscuit https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1581904137867776000

Premier League set to stage enhanced pre-season tournament in USA next summer. Not finalised but potentially ~6 clubs in 2 groups with games in multiple cities on east/west coasts. 1st step on “roadmap for meaningful matches abroad”

Stuff that, really don’t want meaningful matches played anywhere else other than where they should be. They start down that road and the PL becomes a farce and/or the CL becomes even more devalued than it is already. Imagine being a supporter of ManU or Liverpool and getting told that your games against each other will be moved to the middle of Arkansas or somewhere!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Oct 2022 13:27

Sutekh

Premier League set to stage enhanced pre-season tournament in USA next summer. Not finalised but potentially ~6 clubs in 2 groups with games in multiple cities on east/west coasts. 1st step on “roadmap for meaningful matches abroad”

Stuff that, really don’t want meaningful matches played anywhere else other than where they should be. They start down that road and the PL becomes a farce and/or the CL becomes even more devalued than it is already. Imagine being a supporter of ManU or Liverpool and getting told that your games against each other will be moved to the middle of Arkansas or somewhere!

f*ck Arkansas residents!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Oct 2022 15:39

Sutekh

Just another step in the process of selling the game to a global TV audience at the expense of a match-going audience.

The PL's long-term plan is to have matches spanning the vast majority of time zones so there's a whole weekend full of matches, one after another, and a live match at the peak viewing time wherever you live in the world. Moving some matches to different locations, globally, is a part of that.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Nov 2022 08:36

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63767548

Professional footballers in Scotland are to be banned from heading the ball in training the day before and the day after a game.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 Nov 2022 11:17

Winston Biscuit https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63767548

Professional footballers in Scotland are to be banned from heading the ball in training the day before and the day after a game.

:| :| :|

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Nov 2022 14:00

Loafer
Winston Biscuit https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63767548

:| :| :|

It's to try to something about head injury. HTH.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 Nov 2022 15:05

Sanguine

It's ridiculous. HTH

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Nov 2022 15:12

Loafer
Sanguine
Loafer :| :| :|

It's ridiculous. HTH

There are evidenced links between head impact in top-level professional sports, and subsequent onset of neurological conditions. So you're wrong to think it ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is that wider governing bodies like UEFA and FIFA are playing catch-up on head injury and still haven't introduced concussion subs.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 Nov 2022 15:15

Sanguine
Loafer
Sanguine

It's ridiculous. HTH

There are evidenced links between head impact in top-level professional sports, and subsequent onset of neurological conditions. So you're wrong to think it ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is that wider governing bodies like UEFA and FIFA are playing catch-up on head injury and still haven't introduced concussion subs.

yes that is silly

but if you do not practice heading when younger then how you going to ever become a pro footballer ?

what next, no kicking because they might break a toe :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Nov 2022 15:16

Loafer
Sanguine
Loafer It's ridiculous. HTH

yes that is silly

but if you do not practice heading when younger then how you going to ever become a pro footballer ?

You strike me as the sort who takes things seriously only if and once they happen to you.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 Nov 2022 15:16

Sanguine
Loafer
Sanguine

yes that is silly

You strike me as the sort who takes things seriously only if and once they happen to you.

yeah that is true, kind of I suppose

Although I have broke my nose, lost 3 teeth and been concussed 4 times due to football

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Nov 2022 15:26

Loafer
Sanguine
Loafer It's ridiculous. HTH

yes that is silly

Its only banned heading the day before and day after a game. afaik there is usually no training the day after a game anyway, sometimes debriefs, warm downs, massages, gym work etc, but not full on training. The day before is usually more of a tactical session based on the opponent rather than just practicing shooting, heading etc.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Nov 2022 15:31

Winston Biscuit
Loafer
Sanguine

yes that is silly

Its only banned heading the day before and day after a game. afaik there is usually no training the day after a game anyway, sometimes debriefs, warm downs, massages, gym work etc, but not full on training. The day before is usually more of a tactical session based on the opponent rather than just practicing shooting, heading etc.

I guess the big thing the day before the game might be set piece work, both attacking and defending. I guess they'll just move it to a different day.

Overall seems like a sensible idea to me.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 Nov 2022 15:46

Winston Biscuit
Loafer
Sanguine

yes that is silly

havent they stopped kids doing it? what about academy level kids, which my son will definitely be in a few years

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 28 Nov 2022 16:06

Banned during training for <U12s at all levels isn't it?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Nov 2022 06:58

So what does everyone think of the changes to European club competitions coming into effect from 2024.

Seems to be jiggering about with the format for no real benefit to the competition as a whole and weighting it even more on favour of the big teams.

Basically, they're doing away with the group stages in their current format and replacing them with one big group of 36 teams. Each team plays 8 games, 4 at home, 4 away against 8 different teams. Top 8 qualify for the last 16 and 9-16 play off against 17-24 in 2 legged knockouts to see who joins them.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Nov 2022 08:40

From Despair To Where? So what does everyone think of the changes to European club competitions coming into effect from 2024.

Seems to be jiggering about with the format for no real benefit to the competition as a whole and weighting it even more on favour of the big teams.

Basically, they're doing away with the group stages in their current format and replacing them with one big group of 36 teams. Each team plays 8 games, 4 at home, 4 away against 8 different teams. Top 8 qualify for the last 16 and 9-16 play off against 17-24 in 2 legged knockouts to see who joins them.

Is it still segregated by Pot A, B, C and D to determine who plays who? I.e. the 8 teams in Pot A play against each other et al.

I agree, it just seems to be a lot of messing around without much benefit. I don't really see how something can be considered a fair league if you're only playing a quarter of the league.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Nov 2022 08:49

I would like to see how the fixtures in the initial league of 36 teams are selected. I assume they are seeded because of course the big boys want their income protected

I can't help but think that one of the good bits of how it works now is you always play each opponent both home and away, and so there is fairness in that. The new group stage has you playing 10 teams but all of them only once, and so inevitably the day the first draw is make people will compare fixtures and say 'how come Liverpool have 6 tough away games but Man Utd only have 3?' for example

One bit I don't like, unless I have misunderstood it, is that you are selected to play 10 games in this initial group, but due to so many teams going through I would imagine after 8 games some teams will know they are through and so can play reserve teams. This will then have a detrimental effect on others hopes to get through. It happens now in the group stage but to a lesser extent. Maybe nothing can be done about that, maybe taking your foot off the gas when comfy towards the end is just a part of sport that can't really be tackled.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Nov 2022 08:52

also if you play each team only once, you only have to wait for the argument of 'how is this fair that a once off game is played at their ground?' and you then get to conveniently think of a solution of playing it at a neutral ground.....sayyyy, outside of the continent?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Nov 2022 10:04

I guess that with 24 of 36 teams progressing, as a big club, you'd really have to fcuk up not to qualify. I presume the draw is seeded according ro UEFA co-efficients. I'm not even sure that if, say, Liverpool are drawn against Inter, that the other 7 teams they each play will be the same.

125 posts