Did you know?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Did you know?

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2022 07:17

Thread for random football related "did you knows" about players and clubs. Might help with compiling and answering quizzes

First up, did you know that Steve Finnan is the only player to have played in the World Cup, Champions League, UEFA/Europa Cup, Intertoto Cup, all four football league divisions and the National League/Conference.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Did you know?

by Brogue » 09 Nov 2022 09:29

Nemanja Vidic is the only Premier League winner with a surname made entirely of Roman Numerals

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Nov 2022 09:58

Brogue Nemanja Vidic is the only Premier League winner with a surname made entirely of Roman Numerals

Lovely.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2022 09:58

Chelsea are the only club to be holders of the Europa League and Champions League at the same time.

They won the CL in 2012 before winning the Europa League in 2013. As the CL final was after the EL final, they were the current holders of both cups for 10 days.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Nov 2022 09:59

Hull City is the only League team where you can't colour in any of the letters.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2022 10:00

Dundee United have a 100% record v Barcelona. Played 4 Won 4.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Nov 2022 10:04

In 1967, Wolves, Stoke and Sunderland played domestic football in the USA. The newly formed United Soccer Association lifted whole teams from Europe and implanted them to America. Wolverhampton Wanderers, Stoke City and Sunderland were renamed LA Wolves, Cleveland Stokers and Vancouver Royals respectively with the squads and coaches going over to compete for these teams. Wolves ended up winning the one and only season the league played.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Nov 2022 10:14

The 2018 World Cup final was the first since 1982 not to feature a Bayern Munich player.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2022 10:16

Brogue In 1967, Wolves, Stoke and Sunderland played domestic football in the USA. The newly formed United Soccer Association lifted whole teams from Europe and implanted them to America. Wolverhampton Wanderers, Stoke City and Sunderland were renamed LA Wolves, Cleveland Stokers and Vancouver Royals respectively with the squads and coaches going over to compete for these teams. Wolves ended up winning the one and only season the league played.

Remembering reading about that in the past.

The English season finished early May - they flew out to the US pretty much straight away. USA season started end of May and finished in mid-July before the new English season started in August.

Full list of sides

Boston Rovers Shamrock Rovers
Chicago Mustangs Cagliari
Cleveland Stokers Stoke City
Dallas Tornado Dundee United
Detroit Cougars Glentoran
Houston Stars Bangu AC
LA Wolves Wolverhampton Wanderers
New York Skyliners C.A. Cerro
San Francisco Golden Gate Gales ADO Den Haag
Toronto City Hibernian
Vancouver Royal Canadians Sunderland
Washington Whips Aberdeen

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 09 Nov 2022 11:24

Despite only playing 9 matches for Juventus in 2012/2013, and scoring 0 goals, Arsenal reject Nicklas Bendtner has won the same number of Serie A titles as the legendary Francesco Totti (1 title).

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 09 Nov 2022 20:31

:shock:

I had no idea about the teams playing in America that’s wild. I remember the old Dallas Tornadoes badge, but never knew the history with Dundee. Crazy.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Nov 2022 21:41

Coventry City did not finish in the top six of any division between 1970 and 2018

David Beckham was born at Whipps Cross hospital

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 09 Nov 2022 22:04

Chelsea are the only team to be holders of the Europa League and the Champions League at the same time

New Zealand were the only unbeaten team in the 2010 World Cup

In 2014, three Chelsea goalkeepers were awarded clean sheets in a 0-0 draw with Atletico Madrid

Robert Earnshaw is the only player to have scored a hat-trick in all three divisions of the English Football League, the Premier League, the League Cup, FA Cup, and for his country at International level

St Johnstone is the only team in Britain with a J in it.Cowdenbeath FC is the only team in the UK with the letters A, B, C, D and E contained in the name.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Nov 2022 08:23

Loafer Chelsea are the only team to be holders of the Europa League and the Champions League at the same time

In 2014, three Chelsea goalkeepers were awarded clean sheets in a 0-0 draw with Atletico Madrid

Robert Earnshaw is the only player to have scored a hat-trick in all three divisions of the English Football League, the Premier League, the League Cup, FA Cup, and for his country at International level

St Johnstone is the only team in Britain with a J in it.Cowdenbeath FC is the only team in the UK with the letters A, B, C, D and E contained in the name.

The St Johstone fact needs to be reworded. Jarrow play in the Northern League and I think Jedburgh have a team in the lowland leagues somewhere, then there’s Jersey Bulls in the Combined Counties and though Jersey technically isn’t part of Britain the club is playing in Britain.

It’s also a shame Radcliffe dropped the Borough element from their name as when it was there their name contained a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h and i.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Nov 2022 09:32

Sutekh
Loafer Chelsea are the only team to be holders of the Europa League and the Champions League at the same time

The St Johstone fact needs to be reworded. Jarrow play in the Northern League and I think Jedburgh have a team in the lowland leagues somewhere, then there’s Jersey Bulls in the Combined Counties and though Jersey technically isn’t part of Britain the club is playing in Britain.

It’s also a shame Radcliffe dropped the Borough element from their name as when it was there their name contained a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h and i.

The Four-Four-Two piece you copied and pasted this from needs updating. Cowdenbeath were relegated in May.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 10 Nov 2022 09:34

Dirk Gently
Sutekh

The Four-Four-Two piece you copied and pasted this from needs updating. Cowdenbeath were relegated in May.

:|

Yeah I am sure that every single fact here has been copy and pasted from somehwere :roll:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Nov 2022 09:36

The two I posted weren't. They were known and remembered.

If they had been, at least I'd have made the effort to rewrite them slightly in order to try to cover my tracks ;-)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Nov 2022 14:55

Dirk Gently
Sutekh

Don’t think it does need to be updated based on the above, Cowdenbeath have neither changed their name nor relocated outside of the U.K. since their relegation

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Nov 2022 14:57

Loafer
Dirk Gently
Sutekh

:|

Yeah I am sure that every single fact here has been copy and pasted from somehwere :roll:

Fine, nowt wrong with that.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 10 Nov 2022 15:04

Dirk Gently The two I posted weren't. They were known and remembered.

If they had been, at least I'd have made the effort to rewrite them slightly in order to try to cover my tracks ;-)

Good for you