Refereeing

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Refereeing

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2023 13:08

Thought it’d be good to have a specific thread related to referees, linesmen and other match officials so we have a go to thread for any questions or feedback or getting a better understanding on the interpretation of the laws and why these people do the things they do as regards refereeing of football and for any nostalgia of officials from days of yore (remember Paul Rejer or the referee that hailed from Great Bookham in Surrey ?)…

Thought I’d start with answering the question “what does the 4th official actually do beside standing around stopping management getting into fights with each other”? See url below…

https://trophyroom.io/behind-the-game-t ... -official/

One of the best bits in the above is “maintains eye contact with the other referees” :lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Refereeing

by paultheroyal » 02 Feb 2023 14:47

Sutekh Thought it’d be good to have a specific thread related to referees, linesmen and other match officials so we have a go to thread for any questions or feedback or getting a better understanding on the interpretation of the laws and why these people do the things they do as regards refereeing of football and for any nostalgia of officials from days of yore (remember Paul Rejer or the referee that hailed from Great Bookham in Surrey ?)…

Thought I’d start with answering the question “what does the 4th official actually do beside standing around stopping management getting into fights with each other”? See url below…

One of the best bits in the above is “maintains eye contact with the other referees” :lol:

Did many a game with Ray Lewis - a gentleman off the pitch, if i recall he patented the modern day lineman flag and made a fortune from it.

Enjoyed my 4th Official stints. Its much change now how they do it, less so in League one etc - but brilliant to be part of the Premier League and duties then pretty much duties now minus the substitutes board which was done by the coaching staff.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Feb 2023 15:02

Back in the days when I used to do football-related stuff I was invited to the opening of the National Football Museum in Manchester. I was playing the video "You Are The Ref" game when I sensed a large presence watching over my shoulder.

Turned around and saw it was Howard Webb - now that's what I call pressure with the other decisions I had to make...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2023 17:55

paultheroyal
Sutekh Thought it’d be good to have a specific thread related to referees, linesmen and other match officials so we have a go to thread for any questions or feedback or getting a better understanding on the interpretation of the laws and why these people do the things they do as regards refereeing of football and for any nostalgia of officials from days of yore (remember Paul Rejer or the referee that hailed from Great Bookham in Surrey ?)…

Did many a game with Ray Lewis - a gentleman off the pitch, if i recall he patented the modern day lineman flag and made a fortune from it.

Enjoyed my 4th Official stints. Its much change now how they do it, less so in League one etc - but brilliant to be part of the Premier League and duties then pretty much duties now minus the substitutes board which was done by the coaching staff.

Ray Lewis, that was it, when you’re 10 you think it’s hilarious that a football ref comes from a place called Great Bookham! Seem to recall he was the ref at the Hilsborough tragedy too so quite a career overall!

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 02 Feb 2023 19:10

Dirk Gently Back in the days when I used to do football-related stuff I was invited to the opening of the National Football Museum in Manchester. I was playing the video "You Are The Ref" game when I sensed a large presence watching over my shoulder.

Turned around and saw it was Howard Webb - now that's what I call pressure with the other decisions I had to make...

Did he have his United shirt on?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Feb 2023 14:18

John Brooks has been replaced as the VAR operator for Liverpool's game against Everton on Monday and Arsenal's game with Manchester City on Wednesday.

Brooks made a mistake when he was in charge of VAR for Brighton's 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Brighton had a goal disallowed for offside after the VAR guidelines were wrongly drawn.

Andre Marriner will replace Brooks on Monday, while David Coote will assume VAR duties on Wednesday.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Feb 2023 14:30

Seen suggestions that the skill of being a VAR official is quite different to the skill of being an on-field official - in terms of use of technology, concentration levels etc, and so maybe there should be two different training "tracks" rather than assume that the two roles are interchangeable between officials.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 13 Feb 2023 16:03

I thought the offside lines were being done by AI, or was that just the World Cup?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Feb 2023 16:28

Dirk Gently Back in the days when I used to do football-related stuff I was invited to the opening of the National Football Museum in Manchester. I was playing the video "You Are The Ref" game when I sensed a large presence watching over my shoulder.

Talking of Howard Webb I remember complaining about Howard Webb after he didn't give a Keith Jones goal away at Walsall. (no goal line technology then).
I believe the complaint was to the FA but whoever it was I got a phone call from the "compliance " officer to discuss the matter.

I had suggested that Webb hadn't a clue and was probably what refs usually were then , i.e. a teacher, a civil servant or a policeman who were all officious , loving to tell people what to do and were generally old and bald.

The compliance officer was very friendly, in no hurry to halt the conversation and confirmed that I was right on two counts, that Webb was indeed a policeman and bald but was in fact young.
He was being fast tracked (ironically just like Attwell who gave the goal that never was at Watford) as they had high hopes for him going forward.
I expressed my doubts based on his performance in that one game.

A life lesson was learnt by me-don't judge a player or a ref based on one game only but I still think he chickened out by not sending-off De Jong in that final..

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Feb 2023 17:16

South Coast Royal

Talking of Howard Webb I remember complaining about Howard Webb after he didn't give a Keith Jones goal away at Walsall. (no goal line technology then).
I believe the complaint was to the FA but whoever it was I got a phone call from the "compliance " officer to discuss the matter.

I had suggested that Webb hadn't a clue and was probably what refs usually were then , i.e. a teacher, a civil servant or a policeman who were all officious , loving to tell people what to do and were generally old and bald.

The compliance officer was very friendly, in no hurry to halt the conversation and confirmed that I was right on two counts, that Webb was indeed a policeman and bald but was in fact young.
He was being fast tracked (ironically just like Attwell who gave the goal that never was at Watford) as they had high hopes for him going forward.

A life lesson was learnt by me-don't judge a player or a ref based on one game only but I still think he chickened out by not sending-off De Jong in that final..

Really good of the FA to get someone to get back to a fan based on a complaint, must have been a really well written letter. Wonder if they still do that if Joe Public take the time to complain.

Also wasn’t Stuart “when is not a goal a goal” Attwell another one being fast tracked when he turned up at Watford that time, Reading seem to have a record of “dodgy decisions” with this type of referee.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Feb 2023 17:22

Sutekh
South Coast Royal

Really good of the FA to get someone to get back to a fan based on a complaint, must have been a really well written letter. Wonder if they still do that if Joe Public take the time to complain.

Also wasn’t Stuart “when is not a goal a goal” Attwell another one being fast tracked when he turned up at Watford that time, Reading seem to have a record of “dodgy decisions” with this type of referee.

As I said in my post, Attwell was fast-tracked.
BTW Michael Oliver was fast-tracked and is probably (based on the bar being very low) one of the best now officiating so perhaps it can work.

Going back to the compliance officer, he thought it was quite funny that I had listed the 3 occupations for referees as he himself had been a copper before he became a referee. :D

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Feb 2023 18:00

On a similar theme, I went to a presentation from a PGMOL assessor in late 2008, explaining how they review referees and give them feedback etc. This included lots of video analysis, and he talked the groups through the two worst mistakes made in the previous PL season.

The first was Reading (wrongly) having a goal disallowed for offside (forget who against but it was quite early in the season) and the second was the infamous penalty encroachment at Spurs. It was interesting to see these freely acknowledged as mistakes and talked through in detail - although tbf this was an event oop North so they probably didn't expect anyone from Reading to be in attendance.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Jul 2023 09:00

Referees for 2023/24

For season 2023/24 the referee groups that will primarily referee matches in the 4 divisions would appear to be comprised as per below:

Premier League (Select Group 1)

Stuart Attwell
    Peter Bankes
    Darren Bond
    Tom Bramall
    John Brooks
    David Coote
    Darren England
    Jarred Gillett
    Tony Harrington
    Simon Hooper
    Rob Jones
    Chris Kavanagh
    Andy Madley
    Michael Oliver
    Craig Pawson
    Tim Robinson
    Michael Salisbury
    Graham Scott
    Anthony Taylor
    Paul Tierney

Championship (Select Group 2)

Sam Allison
    Anthony Backhouse
    Sam Barrott
    James Bell
    John Busby
    Andy Davies
    Matthew Donohoe
    Leigh Doughty
    Geoff Eltringham
    Andrew Kitchen
    Oliver Langford
    James Linington
    Robert Madley
    Steve Martin
    Tom Nield
    Jeremy Simpson
    Josh Smith
    Keith Stroud
    Gavin Ward
    David Webb
    Rebecca Welch
    Dean Whitestone

Leagues 1 & 2

Declan Bourne
    Carl Boyeson
    Charles Breakspear
    Carl Brook
    Martin Coy
    Darren Drysdale
    Marc Edwards
    Will Finnie
    Sukhvir Gill
    Andy Haines
    Neil Hair
    Darren Handley
    Adam Herczeg
    Craig Hicks
    Simon Hooper
    Paul Howard
    Ross Joyce
    Thomas Kirk
    Robert Lewis
    Simon Mather
    James Oldham
    Scott Oldham
    Thomas Parsons
    Chris Pollard
    Sam Purkiss
    Tom Reeves
    David Rock
    Graham Scott
    Benjamin Speedie
    Sebastien Stockbridge
    Lee Swabey
    Ben Toner
    Martin Woods
    Andy Woolmer
    Peter Wright
    Oliver Yates
    Alan Young

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Aug 2023 16:47

An average of 16 minutes and 34 seconds was added to matches on the opening weekend of the EFL season, with 29 bookings for time-wasting compared with two on the final day of last season.

Good stuff. I like it. I think we'll see this have quite a quick impact - especially with regards to player behaviour.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Aug 2023 09:51

Sanguine An average of 16 minutes and 34 seconds was added to matches on the opening weekend of the EFL season, with 29 bookings for time-wasting compared with two on the final day of last season.

Good stuff. I like it. I think we'll see this have quite a quick impact - especially with regards to player behaviour.

The fact that players are complaining about it suggests it will work. Once the authorities stand their ground, players will realise that the only way to stop all the added time is to play ball.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Aug 2023 10:20

WestYorksRoyal
Sanguine An average of 16 minutes and 34 seconds was added to matches on the opening weekend of the EFL season, with 29 bookings for time-wasting compared with two on the final day of last season.

The fact that players are complaining about it suggests it will work. Once the authorities stand their ground, players will realise that the only way to stop all the added time is to play ball.

Best thing now is that stadia clocks are allowed to countdown the injury time!

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 11 Aug 2023 10:35

^ thought that was ace on Saturday.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Aug 2023 11:27

Agreed. 30 mins of in-play time would be better (no arguments, no controversies) but this is clearly a step in the right direction.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 24 Aug 2023 20:03

Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to intervene on a major VAR call because he didn’t want to cause his friend Anthony Taylor any ‘grief’, he has revealed.

“I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view”

“I said to Anthony afterwards: ‘I just didn’t want to send you to the screen after what has gone on in the game’. I didn’t want to send him up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I think I didn’t want to send him up because I didn’t want any more grief than he already had.

“Anthony, he is big and bald and ugly enough to know if he is going to the screen he is going to the screen for a reason. If someone pulls their hair now it’s dead easy. It’s just a brainwave by me, a really bad call by me, and it kind of affected me as VAR going forward.”

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Aug 2023 10:53

That's fcuking mad.