Refereeing

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Refereeing

by NathStPaul » 25 Aug 2023 10:56

Dean should have been pensioned off many years ago, shouldn't be anywhere near the sport. It is people like him who give referees a really bad name.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Aug 2023 11:16

The thing is, this won't be an isolated incident, of VAR refs doing on-field refs a bit of a 'favour'.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Aug 2023 11:27

Sanguine The thing is, this won't be an isolated incident, of VAR refs doing on-field refs a bit of a 'favour'.

We need to get to a stage where there are refs who are just trained VAR refs and aren't on field refs - skill set is different - also takes away the aspect of helping a mate out, which whilst a natural human response, isn't particularly helpful in a black/white decision of was that a foul or not?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 25 Aug 2023 12:22

Stranded
Sanguine The thing is, this won't be an isolated incident, of VAR refs doing on-field refs a bit of a 'favour'.

We need to get to a stage where there are refs who are just trained VAR refs and aren't on field refs - skill set is different - also takes away the aspect of helping a mate out, which whilst a natural human response, isn't particularly helpful in a black/white decision of was that a foul or not?

Reckon var refs will become AI

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2023 12:45

Orion1871
Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to intervene on a major VAR call because he didn’t want to cause his friend Anthony Taylor any ‘grief’, he has revealed.

“I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view”

“I said to Anthony afterwards: ‘I just didn’t want to send you to the screen after what has gone on in the game’. I didn’t want to send him up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I think I didn’t want to send him up because I didn’t want any more grief than he already had.

“Anthony, he is big and bald and ugly enough to know if he is going to the screen he is going to the screen for a reason. If someone pulls their hair now it’s dead easy. It’s just a brainwave by me, a really bad call by me, and it kind of affected me as VAR going forward.”

Not only is this ridiculous behaviour, he's made everything about it exponentially worse by coming out and admitting it. He should have just kept quiet.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Aug 2023 16:02

Old pals act

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Sep 2023 09:50

Howard Webb and Michael Owen ( :shock: :o :shock: ) to present regular show explaining referees' decisions, including audio of in-match conversations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66713320

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Nov 2023 12:38

An under 12's game was abandoned at HT yesterday after the level of abuse that had been given to the 15 year old referee by one of the managers, former Wolves midfielder Karl Henry

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Nov 2023 16:40

Winston Biscuit An under 12's game was abandoned at HT yesterday after the level of abuse that had been given to the 15 year old referee by one of the managers, former Wolves midfielder Karl Henry

He was always a cnut when he played. Not shocked he's a cnut as a coach.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 27 Nov 2023 13:01

The levels of abuse match officials get is at an all time high.

Starts from the top and filters down. Arteta, De Zerbi etc.. all need to take a long hard look at their behaviour

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Nov 2023 13:30

Winston Biscuit An under 12's game was abandoned at HT yesterday after the level of abuse that had been given to the 15 year old referee by one of the managers, former Wolves midfielder Karl Henry

Sounds very familiar, has he got previous form for this or was there another ex-player a few years back that did the same?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Nov 2023 16:04

LWJ The levels of abuse match officials get is at an all time high.

Starts from the top and filters down. Arteta, De Zerbi etc.. all need to take a long hard look at their behaviour

I'd go ultra hardline. Excessive criticism by the manager or club is a 3 point deduction. I'm thinking particularly of Klopp after Spurs and that Arsenal statement after Newcastle.

Klopp's was more understandable as they had been on the end of a bad decision. But equally, PMGOL's response to the error was immaculate; apology, publish the recording, team demoted for a week. You don't throw your toys out of the pram for human error.

Arsenal's statement was ridiculous for being on the end of a "seen them given" decision.

Deductions in both instances would sort the game out. Perhaps De Zerbi too.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Nov 2023 13:38

LWJ The levels of abuse match officials get is at an all time high.

its quite a simple fix at grassroots level - but for whatever reason leagues wont tackle it although over the weekend i have seen one county fa offer a "team ban" for the next fixture and 3 points awarded to opposition.

If anything i think its getting worse from own experience. With so many junior leagues now setup, tagged with "academy" brandng, coaches think they are the next Klopp, and a win at all stakes mentality is forming, which is passing through kids and parents.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Nov 2023 13:39

6ft Kerplunk

Sounds very familiar, has he got previous form for this or was there another ex-player a few years back that did the same?

Yeah he has previous, so will imagine a ban is incoming for him.

You might be thinking of Ashley Williams, was it 2 years ago he was seen coming onto the pitch remonstrating at a young official for an U13 game or something?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 29 Nov 2023 11:57

paultheroyal If anything i think its getting worse from own experience. With so many junior leagues now setup, tagged with "academy" brandng, coaches think they are the next Klopp, and a win at all stakes mentality is forming, which is passing through kids and parents.

It's definitely getting worse. With VEO and social media grassroots decisions are constantly under scrutiny.

Players expect perfection when they play in front of one man and his dog on a Sunday.

As i always remind them, you get the same level of referee that you play at. You want a better ref? Play at a better standard.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Nov 2023 12:04

I am getting gradually more annoyed by clubs posting videos of alleged refereeing mistakes on Twitter encouraging pile on's. I think it should be an offence for clubs to draw attention to the "errors" of often young, inexperienced officials. Post goals, chances etc all they like but I am getting a bit sick of "WE GOT A RED CARD FOR THIS, WHAT DO YOU THINK??????".

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Nov 2023 12:48

LWJ
paultheroyal If anything i think its getting worse from own experience. With so many junior leagues now setup, tagged with "academy" brandng, coaches think they are the next Klopp, and a win at all stakes mentality is forming, which is passing through kids and parents.

It's definitely getting worse. With VEO and social media grassroots decisions are constantly under scrutiny.

Players expect perfection when they play in front of one man and his dog on a Sunday.

As i always remind them, you get the same level of referee that you play at. You want a better ref? Play at a better standard.

Good shout about VEO. I am often seeing clips now from JPL games and even grassroots being posted on social media, attempting to crucify a referee or basically shame them. It will be a dying trade soon, brining less quality, or even no games for some.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 29 Nov 2023 13:17

What would make you want to referee 22 mouthy hungover builders on a Sunday morning...fook that

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 29 Nov 2023 13:17

paultheroyal You might be thinking of Ashley Williams, was it 2 years ago he was seen coming onto the pitch remonstrating at a young official for an U13 game or something?

Yes, I think it was the Ashley Williams incident I was thinking of.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 29 Nov 2023 13:20

paultheroyal
LWJ

Good shout about VEO. I am often seeing clips now from JPL games and even grassroots being posted on social media, attempting to crucify a referee or basically shame them. It will be a dying trade soon, brining less quality, or even no games for some.

They need to changes the rules so that clubs aren't allowed to post footage from matches unless the ref has agreed to it. Break the rule and get points deductions, repeat offenses get you kicked out the league,