Champions League, Europa League & Europa Conference League 23/24

291 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Champions League, Europa League & Europa Conference League 23/24

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Dec 2023 12:05

WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99
WestYorksRoyal So has the veneer of sporting merit, but let's say 15th and 16th are relegated from the top division, you'd probably in practice end up with 12 massive established clubs who know relegation will only occur if things go catastrophically wrong and then 2nd tier clubs scrabbling over the remaining spots.

Like most leagues then now, the Big Six in England, Bayern, PSG, Barca, Real Madrid etc know they won't get relegated unless they are sanctioned as they won't go down on sporting merit.

The biggest question again will be who funds this, will it be A22? Will the clubs competing in the divisions have to pay a share each season? That latter would be the most obvious way, like what happens in leagues currently.

Slight difference. Those clubs aren't guaranteed to sit at Europe's top table, they have to qualify. In England, only 4 currently qualify so not all the big 6 get to compete in the top competition. Juventus have missed out on the Champions League recently too.

By contrast, these clubs would get to underperform domestically and stay in the top European division, while a disruptor like Villa will go into the 3rd. Grossly unfair.

Take your point, I thought you meant in regards to relegation. Although Juve were ineligible for all UEFA competitions and were docked 10 points (would have finished 4th and in the CL without the sanctions).

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 21 Dec 2023 12:27

Winston Biscuit not going to claim this as some kind of nothingburger, but it just feels like Perez (plus others) trying to save face a little. The impact in other countries may be more than it is here, but here it will be little if anything IMO.

Of course UEFA will continue trying to change the format of their comps to satisfy the big boys, but they would do that regardless anyway

as an aside, a ESL would be sh*t anyway and I think even if they had got their way it would have failed. Its was being created and pushed by money men, who would have soon found out that those paying to watch the game and keeping it all going are interested in other things than money

The ESL could have been run under the slogan of 'price of everything, value of nothing'

I agree with you it would not be as good as existing tournaments. But it probably wouldn't be bad enough to fail. There will always be people willing to pay for Sky Sports to watch the highest format of competition. Even if they don't watch it as gladly.

FIFA and UEFA are pushing the euros and world cup formats to ones i really dont care for much, in locations i also dont care for. But at the end of the day, in the absence of anything else better to watch, i will still always watch the best countries in the world playing each other in a world cup or euros come what may, which is enough for the money men.

With a european super league, would i want to watch it as much as champions league? no, but if the champions league turned into the BBCs shitty version of the darts, when the sky sports one is available, then at the end of the day, i'll probably just go along with watching the final knockout stages of the super league out of curiosity. And then the money have got all they needed anyway.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Dec 2023 12:36

I think the Saudi League is a decent indicator of where a ESL would quickly head towards if it was ever established. Players being paid crazy money, to play in mostly empty stadiums, in a country who's public doesn't care much about it, for a trophy no one gives a toss about.

While the CL has become a bit watered down, a part of it that excites people is not knowing who you will draw, then getting a team you haven't played in years. It feels special. fans are then up for it way more.

In a ESL the teams would all play each other twice a year. I give it 2 or 3 seasons and the 'big' games would feel pretty meh. The games would also be played in weird locations for new audiences.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 21 Dec 2023 12:42

Winston Biscuit I think the Saudi League is a decent indicator of where a ESL would quickly head towards if it was ever established. Players being paid crazy money, to play in mostly empty stadiums, in a country who's public doesn't care much about it, for a trophy no one gives a toss about.

While the CL has become a bit watered down, a part of it that excites people is not knowing who you will draw, then getting a team you haven't played in years. It feels special. fans are then up for it way more.

In a ESL the teams would all play each other twice a year. I give it 2 or 3 seasons and the 'big' games would feel pretty meh. The games would also be played in weird locations for new audiences.

I totally agree. it would not be as good. I just think if there was no champions league, it would still get the sky sports punters interested.

I dont care much about the league of nations internationally, but i care enough to turn the tv on. That's all the ESL needs. They need eye balls, whether those eye balls rate the product 6/10 or 9/10 probably doesnt matter.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Dec 2023 13:16

I wonder if something more akin to this will enter UEFA competitions by the back door. We already have next year's Swiss model which offers an extra safety net for big clubs failing to qualify, and which will take a lot of excitement out of the group stage.

It's not hard to imagine it evolving into two divisions where the top 10 or so automatically quality for the following year, and then 2 knock out stages as we currently have with the Europa League.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 21 Dec 2023 13:16

The Premier League instigated a rule that means any club joining any non-UEFA sanctioned tournament will immediately be docked 30 points.

More money for the lawyers then!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Dec 2023 14:41

Greatwesternline
Winston Biscuit I think the Saudi League is a decent indicator of where a ESL would quickly head towards if it was ever established. Players being paid crazy money, to play in mostly empty stadiums, in a country who's public doesn't care much about it, for a trophy no one gives a toss about.

I totally agree. it would not be as good. I just think if there was no champions league, it would still get the sky sports punters interested.

I dont care much about the league of nations internationally, but i care enough to turn the tv on. That's all the ESL needs. They need eye balls, whether those eye balls rate the product 6/10 or 9/10 probably doesnt matter.

Yeah the TV is where they really benefit rather than people in the grounds. It's far more commercially viable to have 6 million people watching on TV in a 6,000 seater stadium, rather than 60,000 people watching in a 60,000 seater stadium for instance.

I'd be a sucker for watching it as I'm a football fan, given it was on at a reasonable time. I won't be getting up at 3am Monday morning to watch Atletico play Juventus, but if the ESL was to replace the Sunday 4pm kick off for example, I'd watch it even if it was a division 3 game between the BATE Borisov and Slavia Prague.

It's a shame as you lose the value as a supporter who has had a season ticket, followed home/away etc for several years if games were to move to Saudi or wherever else.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Dec 2023 15:30

Mr Angry The Premier League instigated a rule that means any club joining any non-UEFA sanctioned tournament will immediately be docked 30 points.

More money for the lawyers then!

As any rule change is voted for by the clubs and needs 75% to pass, not sure the lawyers would get very far. Especially as the UKG are saying they will introduce a new law asap making it illegal for any English Club to join any Super League style competition.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Dec 2023 15:32

YorkshireRoyal99
Greatwesternline

Yeah the TV is where they really benefit rather than people in the grounds. It's far more commercially viable to have 6 million people watching on TV in a 6,000 seater stadium, rather than 60,000 people watching in a 60,000 seater stadium for instance.

I'd be a sucker for watching it as I'm a football fan, given it was on at a reasonable time. I won't be getting up at 3am Monday morning to watch Atletico play Juventus, but if the ESL was to replace the Sunday 4pm kick off for example, I'd watch it even if it was a division 3 game between the BATE Borisov and Slavia Prague.

It's a shame as you lose the value as a supporter who has had a season ticket, followed home/away etc for several years if games were to move to Saudi or wherever else.

The thing with TV deals is part of the appeal is the atmosphere of the games, one of the reasons that English football sells so well.

It would be a harder sell, for the money expected, if games are going to be played in close to empty stadiums. It is why Saudi may well struggle to make the money they clearly hope to make from tv rights, you can have the biggest stars but with empty stadiums, its like watching a training session.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Dec 2023 15:52

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Greatwesternline

The thing with TV deals is part of the appeal is the atmosphere of the games, one of the reasons that English football sells so well.

It would be a harder sell, for the money expected, if games are going to be played in close to empty stadiums. It is why Saudi may well struggle to make the money they clearly hope to make from tv rights, you can have the biggest stars but with empty stadiums, its like watching a training session.

precisely. there is obviously a massive potential tv audience out there if the product is right, but I think the culture and feel of the sport is a big part of the package that is offered up to viewers.

I said a while back that there was a spanish newspaper report on how La Liga can try and compete with the PL and they said a big part of what subconsciously draws people in is that the PL get the look of things right. The camera placement/angle, the look of the pitches, closeness of crowd etc. People at home 'feel' the experience much more than they do when they watch other leagues

I think if the viewer can see the people there engaged in it then you end up feeling like you are extension of that. If you are watching a game in a near empty stadium then it just feels like something big is missing from the experience

a 7/10 game in a packed raucous stadium > a 9/10 game in an empty stadium

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Dec 2023 16:31

The Chinese League failed, so will the Saudi one. You can't recreate the passion, crowds and atmosphere of European leagues that comes from historical clubs with connections to their community. These disruptors will never feel like an authentic product no matter how much money they have.

If you have a shit ton of money and want to compete with Europe, invest a load in South American leagues where they have the heritage to match.

And yes, the European Super League will only succeed if fans and players view it as the pinnacle of their game. If it's just another tournament to fit in, it means nothing.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Feb 2024 11:20

Uefa Europa Conference League renamed the Uefa Conference League

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Feb 2024 09:25

As it stands Serie A is currently the league in line to get the 5th Champions League place this season

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Feb 2024 09:25

Thanks UNited(s)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Feb 2024 11:22

John o Shea looks weird. Has he had work done?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 23 Feb 2024 13:11

Europa League – Round of 16
Sparta Prague v Liverpool
Marseille v Villarreal
Roma v Brighton
Benfica v Rangers
Freiburg v West Ham
Sporting v Atalanta
Milan v Slavia Prague
Qarabag v Bayer Leverkusen

Europa Conference – Round of 16
Servette v Viktoria Plzn
Ajax v Aston Villa
Molde v Club Brugge
Union SG v Fenerbahce
Dinamo Zagreb v PAOK
Sturm Graz v Lille
Maccabi Haifa v Fiorentina
Olympiacos v Maccabi Tel Aviv

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Feb 2024 19:31

Whore Jackie Europa League – Round of 16
Sparta Prague v Liverpool
Marseille v Villarreal
Roma v Brighton
Benfica v Rangers
Freiburg v West Ham
Sporting v Atalanta
Milan v Slavia Prague
Qarabag v Bayer Leverkusen

Europa Conference – Round of 16
Servette v Viktoria Plzn
Ajax v Aston Villa
Molde v Club Brugge
Union SG v Fenerbahce
Dinamo Zagreb v PAOK
Sturm Graz v Lille
Maccabi Haifa v Fiorentina
Olympiacos v Maccabi Tel Aviv

Ha, I was confused and thought that all our lot must've all gone out. Was this last round a kind of pre-KO playoff then?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Mar 2024 23:17

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 08 Mar 2024 11:21

Lovely stuff.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict