TV rights

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

TV rights

by Silver Fox » 16 Feb 2024 09:32

TNT sports (nee BT SPort) have bought the rights to the FA cup for 4 years from 25/26. Apparently they're going to show some games (inc the final) on free to air but this is a bit of a shit plan as far as I can tell. They are apparently going to show every non Saturday at 3 game live, but that's not a great deal of succour if you don't have or want an extra subscription

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: TV rights

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2024 09:43

I can see why a lot of people are getting aggy over this - does feel a bit off for sure.

However, I watch so little football outside of Reading's games that it really doesn't impact me.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Feb 2024 09:48

Get TNT Sports free with my phone contract so it is all good with me.

I think it will alienate a lot of people, especially older people who stick to terrestrial TV. Sadly money talks.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Feb 2024 09:52

In my day you'd go down to the pub to watch it, the price of beer typically being cheaper than a monthly subscription.

Not sure that still holds.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2024 10:08

Maybe there needs to be a cap on ticket prices, maybe by round, which would encourage more people to attend games in person, who would otherwise watch their team on TV?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Feb 2024 16:32

Yay, the BBC now rely on England qualifying for finals to show any men's football live.

Will ITV have any men's football after this either? Haven't Channel 4 been showing recent England friendlies and qualifiers?

It's all pretty cr@p though, FA should take the moral ground and leave it as the one competion that is "free to air" but as you say "£££££" :evil:

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 16 Feb 2024 16:50

Sutekh Yay, the BBC now rely on England qualifying for finals to show any men's football live.

Will ITV have any men's football after this either? Haven't Channel 4 been showing recent England friendlies and qualifiers?

It's all pretty cr@p though, FA should take the moral ground and leave it as the one competion that is "free to air" but as you say "£££££" :evil:

England friendlies and qualifiers are on Channel 4; I think ITV have a handful of La Liga matches each season.

Very limited as to what's on free-to-air telly now.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 16 Feb 2024 17:13

Channel 4 deal to show England matches ends this year. ITV have won it from September 2024 through to June 2028. Euros and WC actual tournaments continue to be shared by BBC and ITV

Suspect that means that BBC will push to be the terrestrial partner for TNT Sport's FA Cup rights deal.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Feb 2024 12:10

Whore Jackie Channel 4 deal to show England matches ends this year. ITV have won it from September 2024 through to June 2028. Euros and WC actual tournaments continue to be shared by BBC and ITV

Suspect that means that BBC will push to be the terrestrial partner for TNT Sport's FA Cup rights deal.

Must admit I've quite enjoyed not having to watch ITVs advert coverage interrupted by the football whilst Channel 4 are doing England games.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Feb 2024 17:02

Brum Royal
Whore Jackie Channel 4 deal to show England matches ends this year. ITV have won it from September 2024 through to June 2028. Euros and WC actual tournaments continue to be shared by BBC and ITV

Must admit I've quite enjoyed not having to watch ITVs advert coverage interrupted by the football whilst Channel 4 are doing England games.

:| rarely worth watching anyway, don't see the point of suffering England struggling to another forgone conclusion victory v some central/eastern/southern european republic or principality. Now if they changed the qualification groups so just the group winner qualified rather than having the top 2 as a fail safe then another competition on top of that for all the failures, just in case some numpty big name made an arse of their qualification process it might have some point to it for countries like England.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Feb 2024 10:03

I`ve only got sky and refuse point blank to pay for multiple subscriptions to watch different competitions, it`s bloody expensive enough as it is.
When does the TNT European comps monopoly end? at least when sky had it there was a highlights programme on free to view.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Feb 2024 10:13

windermereROYAL I`ve only got sky and refuse point blank to pay for multiple subscriptions to watch different competitions, it`s bloody expensive enough as it is.
When does the TNT European comps monopoly end? at least when sky had it there was a highlights programme on free to view.

Just pay the money and enjoy the football. Stop being so tight.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Feb 2024 10:18

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL I`ve only got sky and refuse point blank to pay for multiple subscriptions to watch different competitions, it`s bloody expensive enough as it is.

Happy to know you have inside information about my personal circumstances.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Feb 2024 10:39

windermereROYAL
NathStPaul

I have always assumed you are a very wealthy man.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Feb 2024 10:50

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL
NathStPaul Just pay the money and enjoy the football. Stop being so tight.

I have always assumed you are a very wealthy man.

Far from it, I get along, but I won`t be ripped off (posted from a shop doorway in Friar st)

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1