Cross Border Cup Idea - Scottish And English Sides

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JoeyVimsantePoet

Cross Border Cup Idea - Scottish And English Sides

by JoeyVimsantePoet » 07 Mar 2024 21:19

Pan-Great Britain Cups With Other Countries.
I would love us to have Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of European and domestic football trophies
I don't support a United Kingdom league and I do not support the Old Firm joining the English Leagues, as everyone would wrongly think Scotland was part of England. AND all the Scottish trophies would be relegated to the status of lower tier trophies, while all the English trophies would be seen as forerunners of the British tier 1 trophies. So teams like Celtic and Rangers would go from over 100 domestic trophies to ZERO in one day.
A better idea is to have Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of European and domestic football.
The Scots already have Welsh and Northern Irish club sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

I would support Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of league football all the way down the levels at male and female football. Cross border cups would be fun.
1. Bring back the Anglo Scottish Cup.
2. Invite all Scottish Premiership sides, and selected Cymru Welsh Premier sides into the EFL Football League Trophy. Plus perhaps sides from the Netherlands, North West France and Belgium.
3. Invite all Scottish Championship sides, and all Cymru Welsh Premier sides into the FA Trophy. And perhaps some North Western French non league sides.
4. Invite selected Scottish, Irish, French. Belgian, Spanish, Dutch, Polish, Swiss, and German sides as guests in the English FA Cup and English League Cup.
5. A Celtic Nations Club Cup. A cup with Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, Cornish, Yorkshire. Breton, and Cumbrian Club sides.
6. A North Atlantic League Cup of the leading club sides from European nations such as Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland. France, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia, Italy, Greece, Iceland, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Portugal, or Norway. Plus perhaps sides from North Africa, South America, Saudi Arabia, Asia.

I would love cross border games but not too many.
The Scots, Welsh, and Irish have travelled to Central Asia in UEFA trophies. In rugby the Scots, Welsh, and Irish travel in Club rugby to South Africa and Italy.
30 trips a year to England is too much for Scottish sides. But 5 to 7 times a year would be a highlight of the season.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Cross Border Cup Idea - Scottish And English Sides

by PieEater » 08 Mar 2024 11:27

I'd prefer they boot Cardiff and Swansea out of the EFL to play in their own Welsh league.

Quite how they still report to FAW despite playing in England baffles me

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Mar 2024 11:40

I am assuming the original post was some kind of spam (and a quick search for it shows much if it was taken from another website)

but I have said on here for yonks there should be a combined British or maybe UK cup!!

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 Mar 2024 12:45

Winston Biscuit I am assuming the original post was some kind of spam (and a quick search for it shows much if it was taken from another website)

but I have said on here for yonks there should be a combined British or maybe UK cup!!

Would be good if the League Cup was replaced with a joint cup competition. Would have to be some balancing to ensure clubs enter the competition at an appropriate stage and regional draws kept in place for a reasonable period (to minimise the chance of Inverness travelling to Plymouth on a Tuesday night, etc.).

I also think the early stages of the League Cup should be played in pre-season, like in Scotland. Could be played on a Saturday without affecting league matches.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Mar 2024 11:32

Nice idea but can't see it happening in a month of Sundays. Too many neigh sayers from all sides - lesser clubs fearing further distances to travel, the popo, the respective FAs, the old firm fearing the increased competition, you name it.

Presumably UEFA/FIFA would also seize on it as leverage to stop all the home nations having one vote at their table.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2024 11:37

Plus clubs in the CCL probably wouldn't be eligible anyway :?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 12 Mar 2024 14:06

JoeyVimsantePoet Pan-Great Britain Cups With Other Countries.
I would love us to have Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of European and domestic football trophies
I don't support a United Kingdom league and I do not support the Old Firm joining the English Leagues, as everyone would wrongly think Scotland was part of England. AND all the Scottish trophies would be relegated to the status of lower tier trophies, while all the English trophies would be seen as forerunners of the British tier 1 trophies. So teams like Celtic and Rangers would go from over 100 domestic trophies to ZERO in one day.
A better idea is to have Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of European and domestic football.
The Scots already have Welsh and Northern Irish club sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

I would support Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of league football all the way down the levels at male and female football. Cross border cups would be fun.
1. Bring back the Anglo Scottish Cup.
2. Invite all Scottish Premiership sides, and selected Cymru Welsh Premier sides into the EFL Football League Trophy. Plus perhaps sides from the Netherlands, North West France and Belgium.
3. Invite all Scottish Championship sides, and all Cymru Welsh Premier sides into the FA Trophy. And perhaps some North Western French non league sides.
4. Invite selected Scottish, Irish, French. Belgian, Spanish, Dutch, Polish, Swiss, and German sides as guests in the English FA Cup and English League Cup.
5. A Celtic Nations Club Cup. A cup with Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, Cornish, Yorkshire. Breton, and Cumbrian Club sides.
6. A North Atlantic League Cup of the leading club sides from European nations such as Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland. France, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia, Italy, Greece, Iceland, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Portugal, or Norway. Plus perhaps sides from North Africa, South America, Saudi Arabia, Asia.

I would love cross border games but not too many.
The Scots, Welsh, and Irish have travelled to Central Asia in UEFA trophies. In rugby the Scots, Welsh, and Irish travel in Club rugby to South Africa and Italy.
30 trips a year to England is too much for Scottish sides. But 5 to 7 times a year would be a highlight of the season.

Hi Brogue!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1