FA Cup Changes

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: FA Cup Changes

by RG30 » 22 Apr 2024 09:38

Lighthouse
RG30 All a massive overreaction. Let's be honest unless you get a big club in a replay they are massive loss makers for the majority of clubs and inconvenient for teams, players and fans. Just take our match at Eastleigh this season. We'd have had to push back the Oxford (H) match by a week to fit the replay in.

I also note our last home midweek replay attracted a crowd of 4.5k. Hardly the magic of the cup was it.

It should be noted at the time of this match. Reading were being deducted points for failure to pay tax on time. If they had drawn that match and won the replay they’d have earns an extra £60,000. They’d then have drawn Newport with the winners being drawn at home to Man Utd. Another potential huge windfall missed.
Should also be noted that Eastleigh drew at Newport and had a sell out for their replay earning significant extra revenue.

That's a lot of clutching at straws :D

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2024 09:40

people need to stop looking at the getting a replay/not getting a replay from a financial point of view IMO

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2024 09:44

football has been going sh*t for some years now, but the speed in which its sh*tness is growing has been accelerating a lot more recently

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 09:56

Winston Biscuit people need to stop looking at the getting a replay/not getting a replay from a financial point of view IMO

I agree with this. When the BBC / FA move the FA Cup final to evening slot to make more money every cries blue murder.

When the World Cup is expanded to allow more teams to play (but also generate more money) everyone cries blue murder.

When the FA remove replays (giving smaller teams a better of chance of actually getting through as it so happens) (and earning less money) every cries blue murder.

You can't criticise all three decisions.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2024 10:13

as a general point and not a dig at people here, I can't help but think that all areas of football have now become so analysed that even company bottom lines are now debating points for fans and the extra profit they might make becomes a thing to get enthused by.

I don't want replays to go because they can make for a great part of the experience of being a match going fan. Getting a replay away at a club in a division above, where you would not otherwise have a chance of playing, is brilliant! Also getting a 'big name' (in relationship to yourselves) club come down to your little ground for a game after earning a surprise draw away is amazing. This is all part of the romance of sport, of the excitement of going to games and getting to travel away to new grounds with your mates etc. Thats why I don't want replays to go.

but still, I am sure there will be a twitter account and a podcast somewhere which analyses the minute detail of the financial benefits of getting a replay and will make their decision based only on that :roll:

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 10:20

Winston Biscuit as a general point and not a dig at people here, I can't help but think that all areas of football have now become so analysed that even company bottom lines are now debating points for fans and the extra profit they might make becomes a thing to get enthused by.

I don't want replays to go because they can make for a great part of the experience of being a match going fan. Getting a replay away at a club in a division above, where you would not otherwise have a chance of playing, is brilliant! Also getting a 'big name' (in relationship to yourselves) club come down to your little ground for a game after earning a surprise draw away is amazing. This is all part of the romance of sport, of the excitement of going to games and getting to travel away to new grounds with your mates etc. Thats why I don't want replays to go.

but still, I am sure there will be a twitter account and a podcast somewhere which analyses the minute detail of the financial benefits of getting a replay and will make their decision based only on that :roll:

My friend asked me, what would i rather, Reading progress to later rounds of the cup, or a replay against a big team and all the money it brings. I without a second thought said progress as far as possible.

He was very surprised.

I really dont give an oxford about the finances. Why would i cheer that. This year i may have had a different point of view as it became existential, but in any other circumstance, why whould I cheer £££s rolling into the club versus getting to a further round? The whole point is to see how far you can get...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Apr 2024 10:58

I think there is a disconnect between what execs and fans want. I always think of Wigan in 2013 who won the FA Cup and got relegated from the Premier League. Would I take that in a similar situation? Fcuk yes. You will never forget an FA Cup win, whereas what is the appeal to stay in the PL and have another season where you're fighting to finish 16th or 17th? But for the money men, the answer is clearly to take survival and an embarrassing 3rd round exit.

But there is a connection between the two. If you read about Exeter City's recovery under fan ownership, the FA Cup draw and replay against Man Utd was absolutely instrumental. It gave them a windfall which they invested wisely and now they hold their own in L1. As for Wigan, the decade since that season suggests perhaps staying up would have meant more in the long run. I care about on pitch success, but in the long run that depends upon money matters and good decisions in the board room.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 22 Apr 2024 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2024 10:59

Greatwesternline
Winston Biscuit as a general point and not a dig at people here, I can't help but think that all areas of football have now become so analysed that even company bottom lines are now debating points for fans and the extra profit they might make becomes a thing to get enthused by.

My friend asked me, what would i rather, Reading progress to later rounds of the cup, or a replay against a big team and all the money it brings. I without a second thought said progress as far as possible.

He was very surprised.

I really dont give an oxford about the finances. Why would i cheer that. This year i may have had a different point of view as it became existential, but in any other circumstance, why whould I cheer £££s rolling into the club versus getting to a further round? The whole point is to see how far you can get...

100% this.

Unless my club is about to go out of business for financial reasons, I don't care for the finances. it should all be about the experience of being a fan, going to see exciting games of football and in the Cup being able to hope/dream of getting a match against someone we usually wouldn't play. I hate all these conversations about the revenue it might bring in. Do people lose their minds and jump around wildly to football club revenue these days?!

When we got a draw up at Maine Road and so had a replay against Man City at Elm Park in 1993 I never once thought about the revenue involved. It was just a really exciting thing to look forward to.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Apr 2024 11:00

Greatwesternline
Winston Biscuit people need to stop looking at the getting a replay/not getting a replay from a financial point of view IMO

I agree with this. When the BBC / FA move the FA Cup final to evening slot to make more money every cries blue murder.

When the World Cup is expanded to allow more teams to play (but also generate more money) everyone cries blue murder.

When the FA remove replays (giving smaller teams a better of chance of actually getting through as it so happens) (and earning less money) every cries blue murder.

I know I'm literally asking for some GWLsplaining her but why not?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Apr 2024 11:02

GWL in contrary opinion shock horror.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 11:34

Silver Fox
Greatwesternline

I know I'm literally asking for some GWLsplaining her but why not?

Why is it wrong to expand international tournaments for more money for smaller countries, but wrong to curtail FA cup replays which harm small clubs revenues?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Apr 2024 11:39

Obviously that wasn't what you said and anyone who believes that expanding international tournaments is for the good of the smaller nations is probably just being deliberately obtuse

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 12:05

Silver Fox Obviously that wasn't what you said and anyone who believes that expanding international tournaments is for the good of the smaller nations is probably just being deliberately obtuse

What do you mean its not what i said? Its written right there?

People are anti football expansion at a world cup. FIFA expands world cups because more games = more money. FIFA presidents expand world cups because more federations getting a space at a world cup = more happy federations who vote for them.

The FA is proposing to reduce matches, which reduces football revenue. People are angry about it almost entirely because it raises less money.

If someone says to me, I'm pro replays because they are fun for fans, i agree. If someone says im pro replays because they increase revenue, i'm like, why should keeping replays because they make more money be the deciding factor?

Fewer replays = more giant killings, = more smaller teams in later rounds, but yes, a few less money spinning replays. But that shouldnt be the reason for keeping replays per ce.

Any league club that fields weakened teams in the cup (almost all now) but is still upset about this can also be safely ignored.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Apr 2024 12:46

You didn't say anything about improving the lot of smaller nations, I'd quote what you actually said but I'm not convinced it will work

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 12:50

Silver Fox You didn't say anything about improving the lot of smaller nations, I'd quote what you actually said but I'm not convinced it will work

"When the World Cup is expanded to allow more teams to play (but also generate more money) everyone cries blue murder."

That is what i wrote.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Apr 2024 12:58

Greatwesternline
Silver Fox Obviously that wasn't what you said and anyone who believes that expanding international tournaments is for the good of the smaller nations is probably just being deliberately obtuse

People are anti football expansion at a world cup. FIFA expands world cups because more games = more money. FIFA presidents expand world cups because more federations getting a space at a world cup = more happy federations who vote for them.

The FA is proposing to reduce matches, which reduces football revenue. People are angry about it almost entirely because it raises less money.

If someone says to me, I'm pro replays because they are fun for fans, i agree. If someone says im pro replays because they increase revenue, i'm like, why should keeping replays because they make more money be the deciding factor?

Fewer replays = more giant killings, = more smaller teams in later rounds, but yes, a few less money spinning replays. But that shouldnt be the reason for keeping replays per ce.

Any league club that fields weakened teams in the cup (almost all now) but is still upset about this can also be safely ignored.

This is the bit where your argument falls down
They're not reducing the games so that EVERYONE gets less revenue. It's designed solely to INCREASE the revenue opportunities for the bigger clubs (more overseas friendlies, expanded CL, expanded World Club Championship, etc.) by reducing the games they now see as second class

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Apr 2024 13:11

Greatwesternline
Silver Fox You didn't say anything about improving the lot of smaller nations, I'd quote what you actually said but I'm not convinced it will work

"When the World Cup is expanded to allow more teams to play (but also generate more money) everyone cries blue murder."

That is what i wrote.

I know, so we agree you didn't say anything about it being for the benefit of smaller nations? Glad that's sorted

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 13:27

Silver Fox
Greatwesternline

That is what i wrote.

I know, so we agree you didn't say anything about it being for the benefit of smaller nations? Glad that's sorted

Who do you think the "more teams" bit is referring to? If you expand a world cup from 64 to 108, you have half the world's teams playing. That's for the benefit of the smaller nations.....

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2024 13:30

Franchise FC
Greatwesternline

This is the bit where your argument falls down
They're not reducing the games so that EVERYONE gets less revenue. It's designed solely to INCREASE the revenue opportunities for the bigger clubs (more overseas friendlies, expanded CL, expanded World Club Championship, etc.) by reducing the games they now see as second class

I agree that the decision is being made because of what UEFA are imposing. However, without replays, more non league teams will get to rounds 3 4 and 5. That adds IMO excitement and intrigue to the competition. Hopefully more championship teams will get to QFs and SFs. There should be more upsets.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Apr 2024 14:31

Quite. This whole thing is a lesson in obtuse from GWL. Shockingly.

And it remains total bullshit that binning replays makes it easier for small teams to progress.