Who should be voted the Premiership player of the season?

Who's it gonna be?

Drogba
20%
Cristano Ronaldo
70%
I can't decide between the two
5%
It's got to be somebody else (post your choice)
4%

Total votes: 74
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Who should be voted the Premiership player of the season?

by SpaceCruiser » 06 Mar 2007 15:29

I'd expect it to be Drogba, scored a hatful of goals and most probably responsible for keeping Chelsea's season on course when they were having problems.

Ronaldo may be having a good season, but he's been playing with a team that is also functioning ok. I don't think he deserves it at all.

What you reckon?
Last edited by SpaceCruiser on 08 Mar 2007 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 06 Mar 2007 15:34

They should give it to whichever one of them wins the league with their team.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 06 Mar 2007 15:36

But Drogba has already scored 29 goals. Should he get more than 30 goals, he will surpass Kerry Dixon's record - is that true?

Whereas Ronaldo has only scored 16 goals. All in the league.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 06 Mar 2007 15:37

I'm tripping over myself to nominate my choice.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 Mar 2007 15:38

SpaceCruiser But Drogba has already scored 29 goals. Should he get more than 30 goals, he will surpass Kerry Dixon's record - is that true?

What about the 40 that Greaves got?

As for 'Ronaldo - I don't think he deserves it at all.' That's just hilarious.

Ronaldo for me, by a long way.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Mar 2007 15:41

SpaceCruiser But Drogba has already scored 29 goals. Should he get more than 30 goals, he will surpass Kerry Dixon's record - is that true?

I never knew, until you just posted it, that player of the year is all about how many goals a player scores - amazing!!!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 06 Mar 2007 15:43

cmonurz

What about the 40 that Greaves got?

Note that I didn't mention club records, I just mentioned Dixon's record. I did so because I saw Drogba talking about his record of 30 goals on Sky Sports News. I wasn't sure what Chelsea's club record is for most goals scored, so I didn't write anything about that.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 06 Mar 2007 15:48

TBM

I never knew, until you just posted it, that player of the year is all about how many goals a player scores - amazing!!!

And why not? Surely scoring the most goals wins you games? Fancy tricks and step overs don't win you a game.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 06 Mar 2007 15:54

SpaceCruiser
TBM

And why not? Surely scoring the most goals wins you games? Fancy tricks and step overs don't win you a game.

There's a clue in the title of the award Spacey - FOOTBALLER of the year - ie, the player who plays the best football? Ginola (sorry to use a french example) was never prolific, but was a very good player, ditto (some more of your favourites) Keane, Bergkamp and Vieira (not sure if these won the PFA or writers award, but anyhow). Are you trying to suggest that Little should not have been a contender for Reading's player of the year last season?!?!?

Garry Mann

by Garry Mann » 06 Mar 2007 15:54

SpaceCruiser

Since when has the league table been decided on goals scored you tool.

Unless I'm mistaken, Arsenal have scored the same number as Chelsea.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 06 Mar 2007 15:59

Garry Mann
SpaceCruiser

Since when has the league table been decided on goals scored you tool.

In 1988/89, it was. Unfortunately, it was Arsenal who scored more than Liverpool.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 Mar 2007 16:01

SpaceCruiser And why not? Surely scoring the most goals wins you games? Fancy tricks and step overs don't win you a game.

14 (so far), 38, 31, 44, 42, 33, 24, 31

That's the goal-scoring record (in all games) of a Premiership striker for the last 8 seasons. He has won Football Writers' Player of the Year 3 times, and Players' Player 2 times. What do you think of him? Will you give him the recognition you are giving Drogba?

And here's a list of PFA Player of the Year winners:

96 Cantona
97 Zola
98 Bergkamp
99 Ginola
00 Keane
01 Sheringham
02 Pires
03 Henry
04 Henry
05 Lampard
06 Henry

With the exception of Henry, I would say there aren't many top scorers on that list (without checking the numbers).

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 06 Mar 2007 16:01

we all dream of a team of kevin doyles

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Mar 2007 17:17

SpaceCruiser
TBM

LOL - you retard!

Anyone can put a ball into the net from a yard out.......its all about the build up. If a player can influence a game and set up 3 goals then surely they are better than someone who just taps them into an empty net?!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 06 Mar 2007 17:31

TBM
SpaceCruiser
TBM

LOL - you retard!

Anyone can put a ball into the net from a yard out.......its all about the build up. If a player can influence a game and set up 3 goals then surely they are better than someone who just taps them into an empty net?!

Not all of Drogba's goals were tap ins. Also, Ronaldo has scored a few tap ins himself. As an example, his first goal in the Old Trafford league fixture against Reading was a simple tap in, nothing more.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 06 Mar 2007 17:40

16 goals from midfield is a fantastic achievement but Ronaldo also has 8 assists to his name which swing it in his direction at this moment in time.

Plenty of football to be played yet though.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 Mar 2007 17:46

Few outstanding players this season include;

Ronaldo
Scholes
Vidic
Drogba
Essien
Fabregas
Giggs

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 07 Mar 2007 12:13

SpaceCruiser
TBM

strikers tend to score more than wingers, and ronaldos 16 is quite impressive for a wide player. Ronaldo all the way

Hyundai Coupe

by Hyundai Coupe » 07 Mar 2007 12:15

cmonurz
SpaceCruiser And why not? Surely scoring the most goals wins you games? Fancy tricks and step overs don't win you a game.

14 (so far), 38, 31, 44, 42, 33, 24, 31

That's the goal-scoring record (in all games) of a Premiership striker for the last 8 seasons. He has won Football Writers' Player of the Year 3 times, and Players' Player 2 times. What do you think of him? Will you give him the recognition you are giving Drogba?

And here's a list of PFA Player of the Year winners:

96 Cantona
97 Zola
98 Bergkamp
99 Ginola
00 Keane
01 Sheringham
02 Pires
03 Henry
04 Henry
05 Lampard
06 Henry

With the exception of Henry, I would say there aren't many top scorers on that list (without checking the numbers).

No Gerrard in that list and he wont be again this year. Ronaldo will win it and Drogba should get top goalscorer.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 07 Mar 2007 12:20

wehateoxford
SpaceCruiser
TBM

strikers tend to score more than wingers, and ronaldos 16 is quite impressive for a wide player. Ronaldo all the way

Ronaldo also takes penalties and a lot of set-pieces for United, so bear that in mind when making your judgement.

Drogba's not taken a penalty for Chelsea, and would have a fair few goals more if he did.

The two players have been pretty fantastic this season, but as has been said, it's not over yet. There's still nine or ten games to go, so we'll have to see what happens. I'd say Ronaldo at this stage, as he's played a huge role for a team who are top of the league by a distance.