The Non-league thread

691 posts
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Dec 2007 15:21

frimleygreen_shotspur to paraphrase dave snooty,it beggars belief how many miss the point...there is little if any away support in the conference (there are exceptions that bring "numbers",but rare)... and of course,there are many that shy away from paying"league" prices for non- league football. there is nothing wrong with the base support:any other non league club without a league history would roll over and die for average gates like them.

But as already mentioned, you have a solid core support that has been more than happy to pay rip off prices for many a season. Unfortunately, Aldershot will not attract much larger crowds due to the amount of successful clubs around them, least not the fact that half of Hampshire supports Chelsea and AN Other London clubs

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 09 Dec 2007 16:17

what is the fixation with crowds? reading did very well without them for a century or so.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Dec 2007 16:56

frimleygreen_shotspur what is the fixation with crowds? reading did very well without them for a century or so.
Reading's crowds have always been good enough to support a football league club. The point is, will Aldershot's be if they get promoted? Anything less than 3000 will see Aldershot as perennial strugglers. Will fans continue to pay modern prices for the Recreation Ground's archaic facilities if the team are struggling? On a cold, wet weekend like today, who is going to pay £15 to stand on an exposed footpath behind a goal to watch a struggling team play a match against Macclesfield?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Dec 2007 17:01

frimleygreen_shotspur what is the fixation with crowds? reading did very well without them for a century or so.

As the good Reverend has pointed out, they are the lifeblood of a team in your position. Two seasons ago it was only £150 more to watch Reading in the Championship than it was to watch Aldershort in the Conference. They aren't going to keep paying it for those sort of facilities, though of course having electronic turnstiles at the Rec was a huge requirement :?

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 09 Dec 2007 17:13

i see. so the fact that crap little aldershot average more for home games than many a side in league two gives them cause for concern for the future?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2007 17:44

frimleygreen_shotspur i see. so the fact that crap little aldershot average more for home games than many a side in league two gives them cause for concern for the future?

The good burghers of Aldershot have already allowed league football to slip through their fingers once before by tunring up in such pitifully small numbers that their club folded in 1992. So perhaps you should be concerned.

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 09 Dec 2007 17:47

Harwell in to the quarter finals of the north berks cup with a new club record 16-0 win

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Dec 2007 18:02

frimleygreen_shotspur i see. so the fact that crap little aldershot average more for home games than many a side in league two gives them cause for concern for the future?

You mean three clubs in League 2, which are all ex Conference teams as well.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 09 Dec 2007 18:36

floyd__streete

The good burghers of Aldershot have already allowed league football to slip through their fingers once before by tunring up in such pitifully small numbers that their club folded in 1992. So perhaps you should be concerned.

could you give me the gate averages for the season that the club folded? thought not.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 09 Dec 2007 18:38

Huntley & Palmer

there's the rub "ex" .

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Dec 2007 18:57

frimleygreen_shotspur
Huntley & Palmer

there's the rub "ex" .

3 is hardly many frimmers.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 09 Dec 2007 19:35

frimleygreen_shotspur
floyd__streete

could you give me the gate averages for the season that the club folded? thought not.

That'd be a tough ask, as most archivists will have expunged them from their records.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 09 Dec 2007 19:36

so...the poster has no idea what the clubs attendances were at the time. just an assumption.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 09 Dec 2007 19:37

bobbybottler
frimleygreen_shotspur
floyd__streete

That'd be a tough ask, as most archivists will have expunged them from their records.

why?

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 09 Dec 2007 20:00

With a bit of luck Frimmers, you'll go up and take that momentum into the League 2 season and go straight up, and fair play if you do. But for the long term you must move into a new stadium!
Even if it means a ground share if possible. A 15,000 seater would more than suffice with a view to later expanding if it was necessary. But good luck to the football club, albeit not against Reading, and hopefully a local derby wont be that far away - in a cup competition!

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Dec 2007 20:08

frimleygreen_shotspur
floyd__streete

Aldershot - 2146.

The average that year was 3406.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Dec 2007 20:33

Simon Osborn now joint caretaker manager at Bromley following Mark Goldberg's resignation

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 09 Dec 2007 21:11

frimleygreen_shotspur
floyd__streete

Aldershot - 2146.

The average that year was 3406.

for how many games?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Dec 2007 21:18

Neil Smith has been given the "V of C" from the directorship at Welling

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 09 Dec 2007 21:21

itis not easy being at the helm in the conference..just the one promo spot and the rest via play offs...it must be changed soon.

691 posts