The non-league thread 2008/9

489 posts
Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The non-league thread 2008/9

by Four Of Clubs » 11 Jan 2009 22:51

Oh and btw...Reading Town (doing well and riding high in the Futball Hellenic having won 10 out of their last 12 games) have applied to move up from Step 5 to Step 4 (Ryman)

how much work will they need to do to the ground for that

Where did the Ryman bit come from - out of 'interest'. I'm fairly positive that the recent winners of the Hellenic Premier have always progressed into the Southern League.

Its the Combined Counties (where Town were last season) that usually step up into the Ryman/Isthmian.

I'm sure they are very happy with their current form but they are still quite a way off the top two spots that I think they'd need to finish in, to progress this season. Though the promotion rules to move up from 5 to 4 can be a bit flaky. They may well benefit from yet another interminable non-league pyramid re-organisation at the end of 08/09.

Perhaps they are looking to move upwards after the 09/10 season - I'm sure the Ground Grading regs state the facilities have to meet the required standard a long time in advance.

Scours Lane is probably not that far behind Bulpit Lane (Hungerford) - both a bit tatty - Hungerford have just got a bit more tat to stand under - Reading's tat looks a bit newer 8) - and I'd put it better than Shortwood's ground (though it was two years ago I visited) but its years behind Witney's 'Polythene UK Stadium' :wink: or Marriot's as it was until this season. Even Faraday Road (Newbury FC) has probably more going for it at present - though they are @ STEP6 - and their floodlights have fallen over :shock:

I've been to a few STEP4 grounds of late and Town would have quite a bit to do to meet those standards. Indeed there's quite a few grounds at STEP5 in Town's league and in the surrounding leagues (Wessex, Western, South-Mids) that are much nearer meeting the STEP4 grading criteria.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Jan 2009 23:32

Yes F.O.C's it is the Southern.

The Non League Paper listed the Ryman (and I quite wrongly jumped to conclusions).

A 2-2 draw today ends our 7or8 game clean sheet record.

Still, despite the ignorance on here, it it good to see Reading's second team making headway.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 18 Jan 2009 10:42

... I was going to post a comment elsewhere re yesterday's game but you all seem to have gone off to 'skulk about' on Little Drummer Boy's exclusive shiny new Forum ! :shock:

I can't be @rsed to register on another one ...

... anyway WTF happened yesterday at Scours - how an earth did you drop points against that lot after the run you've been on. They'd lost 4 in a row letting in 17 - and the point did 'em no good anyway cos Bicester won yesterday putting them (Harrow Hill) bottom.

Did those Red Cards you got against the Fizzers in the Cup last week kick in straight away?

If so I presume you missed Ray S. - you'll need to sort yourselves out for Hooky on Tue night - they are one of the better 'away' sides in the division.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Jan 2009 17:59

RT picked up a few injuries and missed a good few of their players to compound the two suspended following the Sandhurst game.

Harrow Hill scored two penalties

jocombes

by jocombes » 18 Jan 2009 19:49

AthleticoSpizz RT picked up a few injuries and missed a good few of their players to compound the two suspended following the Sandhurst game.

Harrow Hill scored two penalties

My reaction from the game posted on my forum!! You have to sign up but that takes only a few seconds http://readingtownchat.4umer.net/readin ... bdc2aa2075

1st half consisted of a lot of shots by the Reading Town which were either high and wide or straight at the Harrow keeper. Harrow Hill did have the odd chance here and ther but it didn’t really come to much. To be honest the entire first half wasn’t that exciting to watch with both sides creating not creating a lot of goal scoring opportunities.

2nd half Harrow Hill were awarded a penalty just after the restart because of a push/tug but my eye sight isn’t that good as it used to be, so can’t be 100% certain . From the resulting penalty Harrow Hill scored (but it wasn’t just a normal spot kick, because the ball was chipped into the middle of the goal whilst Chris Grace dived to his left.) All most straight after the goal Reading Town responded with a goal, when Suarez glided the ball into the top left hand corner to make the scores level . Soon after goal machine Graham Lewis made it 2-1 when he slotted it past the keeper . After the Town took the lead, there were a lot of balls going into the box which saw the Harrow Keeper make some fine saves and others which players couldn’t latch onto. Harrow were then reduced to 10 men midway through the 2nd half but this didn’t seem to effect them when they scored a late penalty on to make the final result 2-2 .

M.O.M: No one really stood out for me on today’s performance, so can’t really give to anyone this week.

Harrow Hill played well in which they were determined to get a result. Hope they have a good journey back to Gloucestershire and good luck to them for the rest of the season.

Last thing had a nice drink in the clubhouse as per usual but it was bl@@dy cold in there might need to wear more layers next time

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Jan 2009 23:44

Windsor & Eton continued their fantastic run (undefeated since August) with a 3-0 home win against 4th placed Didcot Town. W&E now top by a point with a game in hand.

Martin Williams scored a last minute goal.

Didcot had Simieon Howell and Neville Roach playing for them.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 18 Jan 2009 23:52

Hampton defeat Team Bath away from home, i think another play off place beckons, i think Spacey has scored more times than Hodgey this season.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 19 Jan 2009 09:02

Brommers let Nic McDonnell leave, their talisman top scorer to relief some of the pressure on the wage bill. I've lost count the number of players they've sold or let go this year. Consequently they are sitting in mid table.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 19 Jan 2009 18:07

Graeme Lewis scores for Reading Town against Harrow Hill.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPHG-iEqCY

jocombes

by jocombes » 20 Jan 2009 07:40

eddiegrundy Graeme Lewis scores for Reading Town against Harrow Hill.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPHG-iEqCY

I got both Reading Town goals but my video camera isn't connecting to the computer so have not had the chance to upload it :roll: :oops:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 20 Jan 2009 09:29

... a quick query

What is KO time tonight?

Offical league site has Scours MW games as 19:45
Hooky's website shows 19:30
Town's 'official' site shows 15:00! :roll: says a lot :wink:

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 20 Jan 2009 15:57

The Town programme is useless too. It just gives dates and not kick-off times. It's not going to be 1500. I'd get down there for 1930 and have a drink in the bar if you are too early.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 20 Jan 2009 16:18

... thanks - must admit I completely forgot about looking in a prog. but as you say its naff all use anyway.

I'm sure a clue could be found in a Saturday Prog. where it might give details of the next game - (should it have been a Midweek one :? ) - but since I haven't got one its immaterial. :|

.... fairly certain I can't get there anywho - my daughter has Cubs tonight and needs collecting at 20:30 - so unless the 'In Laws' co-operate I'm b@ggered! :roll:

... and yes I'd worked out it wasn't 15:00h - sad thing is I've actually been twice this season in midweek but can't remember what time KO was! :oops:

Not sure I'd trust the 'Evening Pist' to get it right either.... :wink:

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 20 Jan 2009 16:35

Bracknell Town are 20th of 22 in the SL Div 1 S&W, with a meagre 16 points, but some games in hand.

My other non-league, team, Racing club de Paris, are in mid-table, equidistant from top and bottom.

M'eh.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re:

by Four Of Clubs » 20 Jan 2009 16:45

rabidbee Bracknell Town are 20th of 22 in the SL Div 1 S&W, with a meagre 16 points, but some games in hand.

Their match tonight Home vs Burnham passed a 15:30 pitch inspection and goes ahead.
The Robins Forum states :

the pitch is heavy but playable for tonight's game

... not sure I've ever been to Larges Lane when it wasn't 'heavy'. :?

Burnham are up in 14th place - shame Bracknell's crunch game at Winchester was off last w/e - supposedly got called off at 15:10 !
Andover - who are bottom - did both sides a favour by getting whumped 5-0 @ Cinderford.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 20 Jan 2009 16:47

Presumably the water all ran down to the bottom of the slope anyway.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 20 Jan 2009 23:23

Result from Scours Lane tonight was Reading Town 3 Hook Norton 0. It was chuffing freezing, but numbed fingers managed this clip of Reading's 3rd goal. Reading Chronicle were in attendance too (photographer plus reporter) so expect to see something in this week's or next week's rag.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CYskb_yMXB8

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 21 Jan 2009 10:12

... against all odds I did escape in time to nip down there - agree it was fffreezin' and got colder! :shock:

If they hadn't been fumbling around for counter staff in the bar at HT I'd have had a Bovril but the queue for Guinness was shorter so settled for that. :wink:

Good result - keeps them tucked in nicely in 4th - shame Shortwood, Ardley and the BlanketBoys won too - expect all are hoping Wasps can put a dent in Hungerford tonight?

Desperately dissappointed with Hooky - for a side just behind the chasing pack they were woeful and it doesn't say much for the standard of this league, that Town got such an easy win without playing all that well themselves - bit like another team from round these parts! :?

Since I saw Town a few weeks back, they have greatly improved the midfield - especially getting Suarez in from Slough (?) , he looks like a great acquisition for this level - though he does tend to fall over a lot! :?

I also thought the Hooky No 2. was far and away the best player on the pitch but got no help from his hapless team-mates. I even thought Hooky had the means to trouble Town, with those two big lads up front but they were completely incapable of getting quality ball into them.

Need a win at Shrivvy this Saturday, cos all the other contenders have winnable games too - saw Shrivvy at the start of the season - had just lost half their squad to Highworth - they looked small but very mobile especially down the right - little fair haired striker (Davis?) was particularly dangerous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally bad news from Larges Lane - Robins lost 1-2 to Burnham whilst both Winchester and Andover won - leaving them bottom, though they do have a couple of games in hand on Taunton.

Thames

by Thames » 21 Jan 2009 13:58

Gonna start watching Maidenhead United abit next season.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re:

by Royal Rother » 21 Jan 2009 20:30

rabidbee Bracknell Town are 20th of 22 in the SL Div 1 S&W, with a meagre 16 points, but some games in hand.

Now 22nd of 22 after losing at home to Burnham last night, with Andover winning. (No games in hand on the teams immediately above them.)

http://www.southern-football-league.co. ... gue-tables

489 posts