FA Cup Thread

frimmers

Re: FA Cup Thread

by frimmers » 26 Oct 2008 17:27

cmonurz And as Reading is a football club (singular), it should be 'Has Reading ever won the F.A. Cup?' Note too the capital letters, as Reading is a place name, F.A is an abbreviation, and Cup is part of the title of a competition.

You've spent so long thinking about Tories today Frimmers your head is all of a mess.

and you are how old? and worried about upper case letters on an electronic message board?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 26 Oct 2008 17:30

I am 27 Frimmers, and so not yet bitter and twisted.

frimmers

by frimmers » 26 Oct 2008 17:51

cmonurz I am 27 Frimmers, and so not yet bitter and twisted.
still does not scan.sorry.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 26 Oct 2008 18:08

I bet other fans don't argue about spelling and grammar as much as we do. This isn't close to the one about the split infinitive though.

I think it's because were called Reading.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Oct 2008 18:31

Dirk Gently AFC Wimbledon (in Round 1 for the first time ever) have got a nice home tie with Wycombe.

Sadly not MK Dons, though, which would have been a cracker and is destined to happen one day.

Predict that one along with Leicester to be the live games.

becksisaroyal

by becksisaroyal » 28 Oct 2008 22:22

AFC Telford are through to the 1st Round
The furthest they've got as AFCTU
I am content :)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Oct 2008 22:36

Sarah Star I bet other fans don't argue about spelling and grammar as much as we do. This isn't close to the one about the split infinitive though.

I think it's because were called Reading.

We're. HTH.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 28 Oct 2008 22:48

LOL!

Just testing.

I think 2 days and 2 and a half hours for someone to spot that means we're slipping though.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Oct 2008 12:52

Reading FC has, of course, lost more FA Cup ties than any other club in the world.

RTFC Drummer

by RTFC Drummer » 30 Oct 2008 11:23

Geekins
T.R.O.L.I. Every year, I follow the progress of the most local team to me as my FA Cup "other team" and once they get beaten I move on tho their conquerers - this year's teams (in order) have been Reading Town FC, Brockenhurst FC, Fleet Town FC (2 rounds) and now AFC Totton. AFC Totton are away at Grays in the 4th qualifying round so I'll probably be switching allegiances again.

For the other non-league folllowers on here:

Basingstoke are in 3rd qualifying round replay away at Bashley - the winners to play Bury Town
Maidenhead lost away at Bashley in the 2nd qualifying round
FC United lost at home to Nantwich FC in the 1st qualifying round

Finally, last year's minnow Chasetown FC lost to Evesham United in the 3rd qualifying round.

You mentioned RTFC LEGEND :D :D :D :D

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 05 Nov 2008 17:56

FA Cup 1st Round this weekend, I always like to have a flutter as you get good value bets. So far, the one that springs to mind is Histon Vs Swindon. IMHO, Swindon look a big price at 11/10 / EVS against a Histon side who are 3rd in the Blue Square. Perhaps some of our non league geeks could enlighten me on where this tie is going.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Nov 2008 21:30

frimmers have reading ever won the f.a cup?

Yes in fact we have, on four ocassions. In 1832 we beat Tutts Clump Rangers in a final decided by throwing stones at swans after three drawn matches. In 1899 we beat Bukake Strollers 46-2 and we defended the trophy the following year with a narrow victory against Peru in a game played on the moon. The most recent victory in 1941 against Home Farm Dublin was of course famously dubbed 'the naked final'.

Ps.

Morph

by Morph » 06 Nov 2008 08:34

becksisaroyal AFC Telford are through to the 1st Round
The furthest they've got as AFCTU
I am content :)

You'd get it.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 06 Nov 2008 14:41

RG30 FA Cup 1st Round this weekend, I always like to have a flutter as you get good value bets. So far, the one that springs to mind is Histon Vs Swindon. IMHO, Swindon look a big price at 11/10 / EVS against a Histon side who are 3rd in the Blue Square. Perhaps some of our non league geeks could enlighten me on where this tie is going.

I was thinking of going for a non league double, because no doubt there will be at least 2 non league teams knocking out league opposition. Anyone got any ideas to whom I should back? I hope Morecambe win to. I'd love to draw them away at Christie Park!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 06 Nov 2008 15:29

RG30 FA Cup 1st Round this weekend, I always like to have a flutter as you get good value bets. So far, the one that springs to mind is Histon Vs Swindon. IMHO, Swindon look a big price at 11/10 / EVS against a Histon side who are 3rd in the Blue Square. Perhaps some of our non league geeks could enlighten me on where this tie is going.

Swindon ought to do Histon, They've done well again so far this season but they won't last the pace.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 06 Nov 2008 15:51

You going down to PLOLainmoor for the game against Evesham, AP?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 06 Nov 2008 16:01

T.R.O.L.I. You going down to PLOLainmoor for the game against Evesham, AP?

Reading are at home m8 so not this time. Fixtures last year were favourable, Torquay had away games round here Reading weren't playing or were miles away, this year the total opposite, been a pain although that will change next year when i don't have the burden of a season ticket and i can pick and choose a bit more. Only been down to fortress Plainmoor once this season, the first game of this mass unbeaten streak, maybe it was an omen? :)

Just seen they've got FGR away in the Satanta Shield so might do that one, might do Oxford even though Reading ar at home to Forest that day, other than that struggling to get down there. I'll get down for another 4 or 5 games at home I'd imagine and try and do a similar amount of aways. Fingers x'd they get through saturday and get a decent away tie!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 07 Nov 2008 01:14

the one that springs to mind is Histon Vs Swindon. IMHO, Swindon look a big price at 11/10 / EVS against a Histon side who are 3rd in the Blue Square. Perhaps some of our non league geeks could enlighten me on where this tie is going.

Histon may upset Swinedon - they don't score many but don't let many in - maybe still a mite green around the gills for these big cup ties though - saw them give Northwich Victoria (incl Paul Brayson :wink: ) the run around a couple of years ago - before they made it into the CONF national - but didn't have the nous to hang onto a lead. They are certainly doing well in their 2nd season at the top non-league level.

I was thinking of going for a non league double, because no doubt there will be at least 2 non league teams knocking out league opposition. Anyone got any ideas to whom I should back? I hope Morecambe win to. I'd love to draw them away at Christie Park!

... if you are looking for upsets I'd plump for one from:-

Kettering vs Lincoln
Harlow vs Macclesfield
Chesterfield vs Mansfield

.. or amongst the real outside chances ..

Havant & W vs Brentford lost to Chester 3-0 the other day - so they must be in a right slump - this is live on ITV on Sunday 14:00 KO. However H&W are having a pretty duff season to date themselves.
Sutton vs Notts Co - even less likely - Sutton relegated from CONF S last year - by some distance - not doing that well at the level below.

... the nearest non-league sides to us still in it, are probably P@xford at home to Dorchester; AFCW v Wycombe and Brackley Town away somewhere up north (Eastwood?)

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 07 Nov 2008 08:14

Four Of Clubs

... if you are looking for upsets I'd plump for one from:-

Kettering vs Lincoln
Harlow vs Macclesfield
Chesterfield vs Mansfield

.. or amongst the real outside chances ..

Havant & W vs Brentford lost to Chester 3-0 the other day - so they must be in a right slump - this is live on ITV on Sunday 14:00 KO. However H&W are having a pretty duff season to date themselves.
Sutton vs Notts Co - even less likely - Sutton relegated from CONF S last year - by some distance - not doing that well at the level below.

... the nearest non-league sides to us still in it, are probably P@xford at home to Dorchester; AFCW v Wycombe and Brackley Town away somewhere up north (Eastwood?)

Thanks for the tips, I'll get some money on 2 of the three, or might even put on a treble. Depends how flush I'm feeling when in the bookies!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 07 Nov 2008 09:18

Thanks for the tips, I'll get some money on 2 of the three, or might even put on a treble. Depends how flush I'm feeling when in the bookies!

... just don't come looking for me if it goes wrong - though I can give you my PayPal details if you win big! :wink: