Reading Town thread

227 posts
Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading Town thread

by Four Of Clubs » 19 Dec 2008 16:52

Jolly good - all 5 you've answered are correct - 8)

.... just needs someone to be @rsed to look up where the Answer to No.3 play their home games. :wink:

... and that season 02/03 AFC Wimbledon brought untold wealth and thousands of well-behaved supporters wherever they went.

I managed to see them at Hartley Wintney (where they lost!) - though it was supposed to be all-ticket for 'away' fans - we got some funny looks when we claimed to be 'neutrals' from Reading.

There were dozens of Chairmen of Combined Counties League clubs, rubbing their hands with glee when, at the end of that season, Wimbledon didn't manage to go up. Their unbridled joy was purely financially-based. Teams like Feltham for example - who copped a 'short-straw' first time round and got landed with a midweek home game at their rickety old arena. The following season the CCL commitee tried to ensure that any club who missed out on a Saturday game vs AFC Wimbledon in 02/03 - were guaranteed one for 03/04!

I think they almost certainly set attendance records at nearly every club they visited that season and at quite a few more teams, on their subsequent rise up to where they are now.

The 'official' crowd figure at Sandhurst was 2,449 - it was AFC Wimbledon's first game that season - an unprecedented crowd for this league.

Sad to say of the two sides that finished above them that season: - Withdean 2000 are no longer a senior Saturday side - they were denied promotion cos they groundshared at the time with Worthing & Brighton Ressies.
AFC Wallingford finished the following season as runners-up again - this time to AFC Wimbledon - they have since slipped back to two levels below CCL Premier and struggle on in the North Berks league - having tried the Hellenic for a spell.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 19 Dec 2008 21:12

Four Of Clubs Jolly good - all 5 you've answered are correct - 8)

.... just needs someone to be @rsed to look up where the Answer to No.3 play their home games. :wink:

... and that season 02/03 AFC Wimbledon brought untold wealth and thousands of well-behaved supporters wherever they went.

I managed to see them at Hartley Wintney (where they lost!) - though it was supposed to be all-ticket for 'away' fans - we got some funny looks when we claimed to be 'neutrals' from Reading.

There were dozens of Chairmen of Combined Counties League clubs, rubbing their hands with glee when, at the end of that season, Wimbledon didn't manage to go up. Their unbridled joy was purely financially-based. Teams like Feltham for example - who copped a 'short-straw' first time round and got landed with a midweek home game at their rickety old arena. The following season the CCL commitee tried to ensure that any club who missed out on a Saturday game vs AFC Wimbledon in 02/03 - were guaranteed one for 03/04!

I think they almost certainly set attendance records at nearly every club they visited that season and at quite a few more teams, on their subsequent rise up to where they are now.

The 'official' crowd figure at Sandhurst was 2,449 - it was AFC Wimbledon's first game that season - an unprecedented crowd for this league.

Sad to say of the two sides that finished above them that season: - Withdean 2000 are no longer a senior Saturday side - they were denied promotion cos they groundshared at the time with Worthing & Brighton Ressies.
AFC Wallingford finished the following season as runners-up again - this time to AFC Wimbledon - they have since slipped back to two levels below CCL Premier and struggle on in the North Berks league - having tried the Hellenic for a spell.

Oh right, I didn't understand that Q4 related to Q3. In that case it must be Alwyns. I was looking for any old ground that happened to be the name of a composer :D

Cheers for all the gen on Wimbledon - very interesting. I guess the crowd at Town tomorrow will only be pushing towards the ton.

jocombes

by jocombes » 19 Dec 2008 21:32

eddiegrundy
Four Of Clubs Jolly good - all 5 you've answered are correct - 8)

Oh right, I didn't understand that Q4 related to Q3. In that case it must be Alwyns. I was looking for any old ground that happened to be the name of a composer :D

Cheers for all the gen on Wimbledon - very interesting. I guess the crowd at Town tomorrow will only be pushing towards the ton.

Witney will be out in force some say 30 but one said 100

jocombes

by jocombes » 20 Dec 2008 21:18

Reading Town 1-0 Witney
:D :D :D :D :D :D

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 21 Dec 2008 00:03

jocombes Reading Town 1-0 Witney

Reading 3-1 Birmingham
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Far better entertainment at the Birmingham game.

jocombes

by jocombes » 24 Dec 2008 14:58

SLAMMED

Reading 3-1 Birmingham

Na never

Match video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DdOnhGITf ... re=channel

Barmy Army video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPRaXo6gOA

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 24 Dec 2008 15:09

You sad sad people.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Dec 2008 15:13

rg6royal You sad sad people.

Exactly - and don't they realise that if they're wanting to attract people to go and see RTFC they're going about it completely the wrong way?

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 24 Dec 2008 15:38

I love the fact that they are singing songs to the opposing fans but there are hardly, if any of them there!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 24 Dec 2008 15:56

jocombes
SLAMMED

Reading 3-1 Birmingham

Na never

You might as well go and watch sunday league football. Its about as good quality as that, and sometimes, the other team have funny looking players.

The short fat goalkeepers are the best!

Oh and its free.

But you dont see me going off and creating a "Palmer Park Thread" do you

jocombes

by jocombes » 24 Dec 2008 16:40

rg6royal I love the fact that they are singing songs to the opposing fans but there are hardly, if any of them there!

There were 30 Witney fans

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 24 Dec 2008 16:45

30!!! Yikes! :roll:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 24 Dec 2008 17:29

jocombes
rg6royal I love the fact that they are singing songs to the opposing fans but there are hardly, if any of them there!

There were 30 Witney fans

What a bunch of kids?

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 24 Dec 2008 17:30

Like us rg6ers! :lol:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 24 Dec 2008 17:32

rfcjoe Like us rg6ers! :lol:

Yeah mini me's jumping around with a drum!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 24 Dec 2008 17:39

this thread probably amounts to the biggest media exposure Reading Town have had in their history.

Saying that, when David Bobin added his appalling commentary to our Simod Cup win, he did add that "it's a great day for Reading Town Football Club"

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 24 Dec 2008 17:40

jocombes
SLAMMED

Reading 3-1 Birmingham

Na never

Absolute LOLz

At least the sunshine bus had a good day out it seems.

jocombes

by jocombes » 24 Dec 2008 18:46

Marlow United v Reading Town 27th Dec

Sign up to the http://readingtownchat.4umer.net/index.htm (you never know you might go and see RTFC and find it great fun :D )

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 24 Dec 2008 20:02

rfcjoe Like us rg6ers! :lol:

Lowers ftw 8)

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 24 Dec 2008 20:03

jocombes you never know you might go and see RTFC and find it great fun :D

Or we might go and have such a crap time we go on a murderous rampage followed by a jump off a high building.

227 posts