Man Utd v Barcelona: Champions League Final (with poll)

210 posts

Man Utd v Barcelona: Who will win?

Man Utd
44%
Barcelona
56%

Total votes: 87
RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Man Utd v Barcelona: Champions League Final (with poll)

by RG30 » 28 May 2009 02:36

The strengths of the PL include the high tempo football we play, and as said the first 10 minutes United were effective with plenty of closing down and quick high tempo moves. After the shock of the 1st goal, Barca were shown to much respect and it was far to easy for the likes of Xavi and Iniesta who will simply punish you time after time.

Fergie's team selection will be questioned. In the absence of Fletcher, was Giggs the right option? Hargreaves (if fit) would have been the ideal selection in that role, but he was injured. Would O'Shea have done a job in the midfield? Rooney was wasted on the wings, and as effective as Ronaldo is up front with his burst of pace leaving defenders worried, Rooney is a different kind of striker with his strength, workrate and never say die attitude. Sylvinho & Puyol had it far too comfortable at times.

A harsh lesson for United, but credit to Barca who up to the semi finals were the best team in the competition. Retaining the Champions League under the modern day format has yet to be achieved, but United came close and they'll come back stronger.

The format for the qualification for the Champions League changes with the weakest qualifiers in the better European leagues set to face eachother rather than be seeded (eg Arsenal Vs Lyon) while the lesser teams from other leagues will get a fairer opportunity to qualify into the group stage. IIRC, it was also the last final to be played midweek with Platini desperate to make it more accessible for families allegdley by hosting it on a Saturday night (nothing to do with the TV rights then Mr Platini :roll: )

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 28 May 2009 02:41

Victor Meldrew Fine when they are bullying sides at home like West Brom,Stoke or 'Boro but when big teams teams stand up to them like Chelsea,Liverpool or Barcelona they bottle it.
It could have been even more embarrassing and they weren't even playing Barcelona's full side.
For those that say Rooney is England's best player and he will lead us to World Cup glory-think again.
Well played Barcelona,a thoroughly deserved victory and a team that plays with some style so tonight football was the winner and my 3/1 of some months ago now looks to have been a steal.

LOL, jump on the bandwagon on hating English team/loving foreign ones. Of course there will be times when you will have the better bet. LOLZ at those who boasted about BM back in 1999. FWIW, the first goal changed everything, a particularly fortunate goal - not one borne out of skill.

Who claims Rooney is England's best player? and who says he will lead us to WC glory? :?

The best players were playing for barca, make no mistake. The key players were ALWAYS going to be Iniesta and Xavi. Messi stepped up after the lucky first goal - before then he was second fiddle to Ronaldo - easy to take the initiative when you are 1 - 0 up :|

Oh, and Man U are bottlers? do me a favour and keep quiet - the Spanish (yes thats a back hand against barca) are known for being bottlers....

Barca took advantage from a lack of MU clinical finishing - did well and the Midfield bossed it....end of....not a particular great game.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 28 May 2009 03:43

That was just a superb display of ball retention from Barca. I coach twelve-year old kids and even I tell them that if your do not give the ball away the other team cannot do you any damage. Xavi and Iniesta are just in a class of their own; the game must appear just so simple to them. When Utd gave the ball away you got the immediate feeling that they would not get it back for another five minutes. Toure and Puyol were just magnificent. Utd should be grateful that Barca were not at full strength, otherwise they would have had another arsehole ripped.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 28 May 2009 08:19

Barcelona>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Utd
Messi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ronaldo.

HTH

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 28 May 2009 08:42

SLAMMED I don't rate Vidic. He's never really impressed me as a player.

:|

David Pleat >>> Andy Gray

David Pleat made me want to cry.

Barcas passing in the middle of the park is making Utd look like school boys. Why they didn't have Scholes in there I don't know.

I liked the way Scholes only contribution was to try to murder someone.

When was the last European Cup Final a classic? Milan 3-3 Liverpool?

I enjoyed, as games of football, both the Barce win over Arsenal and the AC Milan game vs Liverpool when the Inzaghi didn't manage to control the ball until he scored his second goal.

But I tend to find the CL an absolute bore.

The game tonight reminded me a lot of the Spain v England friendly. Both teams obviously have quality all over, but the difference was in the centre of midfield.

Yeah, same here.

I have a natural like of small attacking midfielders. Players who keep the ball and keep the ball moving. Some of the passing was beautiful. But I also thought, given the circumstances, Puyol had a very good game.

easy to take the initiative when you are 1 - 0 up

Not really.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 May 2009 08:56

Tails
Victor Meldrew Fine when they are bullying sides at home like West Brom,Stoke or 'Boro but when big teams teams stand up to them like Chelsea,Liverpool or Barcelona they bottle it.
It could have been even more embarrassing and they weren't even playing Barcelona's full side.
For those that say Rooney is England's best player and he will lead us to World Cup glory-think again.
Well played Barcelona,a thoroughly deserved victory and a team that plays with some style so tonight football was the winner and my 3/1 of some months ago now looks to have been a steal.

LOL, jump on the bandwagon on hating English team/loving foreign ones. Of course there will be times when you will have the better bet. LOLZ at those who boasted about BM back in 1999. FWIW, the first goal changed everything, a particularly fortunate goal - not one borne out of skill.

Who claims Rooney is England's best player? and who says he will lead us to WC glory? :?

The best players were playing for barca, make no mistake. The key players were ALWAYS going to be Iniesta and Xavi. Messi stepped up after the lucky first goal - before then he was second fiddle to Ronaldo - easy to take the initiative when you are 1 - 0 up :|

Oh, and Man U are bottlers? do me a favour and keep quiet - the Spanish (yes thats a back hand against barca) are known for being bottlers....

Barca took advantage from a lack of MU clinical finishing - did well and the Midfield bossed it....end of....not a particular great game.

Good to see the posting of nonsense isn't restricted to the pre-match opinions

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 28 May 2009 08:56

Royal Rother Ferguson's Plan A seemed to be to hit them with all guns blazing, which nearly worked in the 1st 10 minutes. The problem was that when Barcelona scored 1st the Man Utd players seemed to suffer from a collective inferiority complex from then on and just couldn't adapt to whatever Plan B (assuming he had one) Ferguson wanted to implement.

Very reminiscent of the Arsenal – Man United CL semi-final second leg. As fantastic as Iniesta and Xavi obviously are, Guardiola should take a lot of credit for his tactics too.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 28 May 2009 09:05

1) United had two shots on target - a Ronaldo freekick that Valdes spilled and ... erm ... another one. Possibly Ronaldo twatting it from 40 yards. Its hardly clinicial.

2) OK, so what about chances off target. 7, including I guess chances such as Berbatov's late volley and the follow-up to that Ronaldo freekick. At least one was a 'speculative' effort from long range. That said, Barcelona had (according to the Guardian sports pages) seven shots on target, four off - one of which hit the woodwork.

So the idea that clinical finishing was the difference seems somewhat flawed, given that Barcelona got more chances in the first place.

3) 'The Midfield bossed it' - that's usually where games are won and lost, is it not? I'd really argue that that was where the game was comfortably won- in the manner the ball got retained and used by one midfield. United's midfield struggled to disrupt this movement of the ball.
Last edited by papereyes on 28 May 2009 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 May 2009 09:19

Tails

I assume, bearing in mind the time this was posted (2.42am) that the poster was tired and emotional, and should therefore be excused for posting such incomprehensible bollocks.

One question - does anyone else think the 1st goal was lucky? (Or is he talking about the MU v BM final?)

Edit: I just see on another thread that FineRain thinks the goal was lucky - am I missing something? :?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 May 2009 09:29

Maybe they think it was lucky that Vidic couldn't defend and a world class keeper got done at his near post?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 28 May 2009 09:30

Silver Fox I watched the first half on Sky but have come down to the basement where I've only got terrestrial, the ManU love-in has just made me throw up iny mouth a little bit

I watched it on Sky until the last 5 mins when I switched over just to hear the utter dejection in Tyldesley's voice. Pathetic of me I know but I felt I deserved it after putting up with his pro-United bias for so long.

Anyway decentish game and a lesson in close ball control, short passing, keeping possession and not panicing when getting the ball when there's a few players around you. For all the blood and thunder high tempo of the Premiership it doesn't teach you those things and thats what you need at the highest level and why England always struggle in latter stages of competitions. The work rate of Barcelona's flair players was also superb.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 May 2009 09:41

Ferguson must be so grateful that John Terry can't take penalties. Otherwise, for the self styled "greatest club in the world", their track record in this competition would look pretty shabby.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 28 May 2009 09:46

The Missing Persons Association (MPA) have today issued a statement regarding a new case.

‘Cristiano was last seen at 8:55pm yesterday in Rome. Having been sent out to play football with his friends last night he did not return and his friends have since confirmed that he only played for 10 minutes before just vanishing. We are not concerned for Cristiano’s safety as we know he has a history of going missing but many people are keen to know his whereabouts, especially some new friends in Madrid that he is expected to be holidaying with this summer’

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 May 2009 09:47

PlasticRoyale

Utd beat Barca last time they played, have regularly beat Liverpool and Chelsea in recent seasons so not sure about bottling it...

You're living in the past m8-this was about the current season and for all the talking up of this Man Utd side they really aren't that good when other teams refuse to roll over.
I did smile at Fergie's "this is a young team and they will learn".
Hmm-Van Der Sar,Ferdinand,Giggs,Scholes-all young and inexperienced?
Get real Fergie.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 28 May 2009 09:50

United were rubbish last night
Barca were decent

Given another game and another time, it could be totally different. To make assumptions Barca are far better than United and that Messi is far better than Ronaldo from one game is a bit silly really. Then again, most nobbers know nothing about football and make wild statements just because they're please the best team in this Country lost. Mainly due to jealousy.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 May 2009 09:54

It's not jealousy m8, we're still bitter you see

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 28 May 2009 09:56

LOL

daswonder

by daswonder » 28 May 2009 09:57

Pep Guardiola, not a bad first season in management.

first time a Spanish club has won the treble

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 May 2009 09:59

6ft Kerplunk
Silver Fox I watched the first half on Sky but have come down to the basement where I've only got terrestrial, the ManU love-in has just made me throw up iny mouth a little bit

I watched it on Sky until the last 5 mins when I switched over just to hear the utter dejection in Tyldesley's voice. Pathetic of me I know but I felt I deserved it after putting up with his pro-United bias for so long.

Having posted the original quote I had to go back upstairs for the Sky feed, ITV was that bad. Did flick over after the final whistle to see how Tyldesley was coping with the Barca celebrations but I'm guessing they went to ads as soon as the final whistle went?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 May 2009 10:12

Hoop Blah I think Utd should win this.

I think Messi is one of the most overrated players about, but is a cracking player obviously, and I can't see them being able to create as many chances as they usually do against Utd's outstanding back four.

Saving grace for Barca is that Utd can be got at out wide and in Xavi and Innesta they have two top draw players who could win the game for them. It's such a shame that the Messi-love-in means these two don't get the praise they deserve over here, they're a real joy to watch and it'll be interesting to see what Fergie does to stop them running the game.

I'd rather a Barca win personally, but either way the media will go way over board about how great either team are and how Ronaldo or Messi are the best thing since sliced bread.

Chuffed that Iniesta and Xavi showed their true class and now even our media are recognising how good they really are.

Thoroughly disappointed in Utd though. I thought they would've coped better in the midfield, but when you look at the individuals in that side you can see why they've got such a poor record against the top sides this season, they just don't quite cut it at the top level.

Glad someone else has mentioned the Rooney as a winger fixation that Fergie has. For a long time I've moaned about how he's been misused by Fergie to Rooney and Englands detriment but obviously his quality means he gets away with it for the most part. I can't remember a Utd side being so poor though so even though I didn't really want them to win I was disappointed in their performance.

Like any side, Utd need a midfield general and Carrick, as good as he's been this season, isn't it. Fletcher has been good too, but he isn't good enough to dominate a game, so I can see Fergie looking to address that hole this summer as Giggs and Scholes will be another year older.

Did Fergie allow sentiment to get in the way of picking the best side? Should Giggs really have started last night?

210 posts