World cup qualifiers

250 posts
Dr Hfuhruhurr

Re: World cup qualifiers

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 10 Sep 2009 10:22

The best thing about last night, apart from the technical ability on show, is that we've recaptured our world seeding back from Croatia. Of course, we could do the real cntish thing and let Ukraine beat us so Croatia have no chance of qualifying - but we wouldnt do that would we?

Lets face it Scotland were humiliated in their group. For a team to win a 5 man group by 14 points just demonstrates how laughable the opposition were. Scotland have taken a couple of giant steps backwards in this campaign.

My favourite score of the night however was Northern Ireland. Losing all chance by capitulating feebly at their apparently inpenetrable home.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Sep 2009 10:28

ZacNaloen Looked offside in the replay, who kept him on?

Can't remember, I was only half watching, sure it was onside though and the fact that Jim Beglin and now Spacey thought it was offside pretty much makes me certain

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 10 Sep 2009 10:33

On the replay I saw there was a shot, a Croatian player was about a yard offside, Green saved, offside player picked up the pieces, had a shot and Eduardo scored from the rebound of that.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 10 Sep 2009 10:39

As it stands...

Group 1

Loads of permutations, but if Denmark beat Sweden at home on 10th October, they will qualify. Sweden's remaining game is Albania, whilst Denmark play Hungary, so if Sweden win in Copenhagen, then they might be marginal favourites to qualify on goal difference.

Portugal have home games against Hungary and Malta. If they win those, they need Denmark to avoid defeat against Sweden, to finish 2nd in the group. I'm writing off Hungary.

Group 2

Also wide open, but leaders Switzerland have Israel and Luxembourg to play, and should find their current three point lead is enough to qualify. Greece and Latvia will probably shoot-out for second place in Athens on 10th October.

Group 3

Anyone in the group bar San Marino can still mathematically qualify. Slovakia can seal their place by avoiding to defeat home to Slovenia on 10th October. A gazillion permutations, but Northern Ireland are practically done; Slovenia in second have San Marino to play and a game in hand. Slovakia would need to thrash Slovenia for Northern Ireland to stand a chance of catching up on GD, and that doesn't take into account the other two teams.

Group 4

Germany and Russia take the top two spots and play each other in Russia on 10th October. Both sides should win their other remaining game, so 10th will be to qualify for SA.

Group 5

Spain have won the group. Bosnia need to win in Estonia, or beat Spain at home, to secure second place. Turkey have Belgium and Armenia to come, so will be on their heels if Bosnia slip up.

Group 6

England have won the group. Croatia should win in Kazakhstan, so Ukraine will need to beat England in Kiev to have a hope of 2nd place.

Group 7

Unless France absolutely hammer the Faroes, then Serbia's goal difference means they need one win from games against Romania and Lithuania (who the Faroes beat last night!) to qualify. Austria are out unless France fail to beat Faroe Islands.

Group 8

If Italy avoid defeat in Dublin then they win the group. Bulgaria need to beat Georgia and Cyprus, and home Ireland fcuk up at home to Montenegro. If Ireland beat Italy, then Italy will need a win at home to Cyprus to secure first spot.

Group 9

Holland qualify. Norway finish second, and need to wait on Ireland and Sweden to see if they make the playoffs.

The play-off qualification is ridiculously difficult to predict, as the ranking of 2nd place teams can change if the bottom side in the group(s) changes. Ireland might be in trouble if they lose to Italy though.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Sep 2009 11:04

ZacNaloen On the replay I saw there was a shot, a Croatian player was about a yard offside, Green saved, offside player picked up the pieces, had a shot and Eduardo scored from the rebound of that.

^^ this

Number 10 was offside when Eduardo had his first attempt saved, he then picked the ball up and shot which was parried out by Green for Eduardo to tap in....the only way this cant be offside is if the lino thought number 10 wasn't interfering with play and that when he got the ball it was infact the "second phase"

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Sep 2009 11:11

TBM
ZacNaloen On the replay I saw there was a shot, a Croatian player was about a yard offside, Green saved, offside player picked up the pieces, had a shot and Eduardo scored from the rebound of that.

^^ this

Number 10 was offside when Eduardo had his first attempt saved, he then picked the ball up and shot which was parried out by Green for Eduardo to tap in....the only way this cant be offside is if the lino thought number 10 wasn't interfering with play and that when he got the ball it was infact the "second phase"

Cross came in, header from Eduardo - number 10 being played on side by Johnson over on the right who had tried to block the cross. Number 10 picks up pieces, has shot, saved - Eduardo scores.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 10 Sep 2009 11:14

Johnson not visible on replay then?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Sep 2009 11:33

Stranded
TBM

^^ this

Cross came in, header from Eduardo - number 10 being played on side by Johnson over on the right who had tried to block the cross. Number 10 picks up pieces, has shot, saved - Eduardo scores.

Actually Stranded is right, watch here at 5:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEkeqvs7 ... re=related

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Sep 2009 13:29

Good spot Stranded.

I thought their 'keeper was sold a hard one to deal with for his error. Around knee height, going across him, with Cole closing in from one side and Rooney not too far away on the other. Don't think he had time or space to try and control it. He could easily have put himself ina lot of trouble by doing so.

Had to have a kick at it and unfortunately sliced it with a poor contact.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Sep 2009 13:36

cmonurz As it stands...

Group 1

Portugal have home games against Hungary and Malta. If they win those, they need Denmark to avoid defeat against Sweden, to finish 2nd in the group. I'm writing off Hungary.

Damn, I was hoping for Denmark and Hungary to qualify, oh well if not Hungary then come on Sweden....

cmonurz Group 7

Unless France absolutely hammer the Faroes, then Serbia's goal difference means they need one win from games against Romania and Lithuania (who the Faroes beat last night!) to qualify. Austria are out unless France fail to beat Faroe Islands.

Come on you Faeroes!!!

250 posts