Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5623 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by Silver Fox » 12 Dec 2023 07:48

Sutekh Bet Man City are glad they're not Welsh.

True for everyone isn't it?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Dec 2023 13:47

PL apparently advise 777 that their is unlikely to be a decision on their Everton takeover before January at the earliest. Apparently, they have been funding Everton under the proviso the deal was approved this side of Christmas.

Now looks likely they will cease funding as they fear the takeover will be vetoed due to complexity of their finances. As a result, real risk that Everton may go into admin and have a new, automatic 9 pt penalty.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Dec 2023 15:39

Obviously terrible for Everton and their fans, but a club as big as Everton going into a doom spiral would certainly help force the agenda for a strong regulator.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Dec 2023 17:01

Stranded PL apparently advise 777 that their is unlikely to be a decision on their Everton takeover before January at the earliest. Apparently, they have been funding Everton under the proviso the deal was approved this side of Christmas.

Now looks likely they will cease funding as they fear the takeover will be vetoed due to complexity of their finances. As a result, real risk that Everton may go into admin and have a new, automatic 9 pt penalty.

9 point penalty, imagine the wailing and moaning and supporter demonstrations that there'd be over "poor little Everton" if that did happen.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Dec 2023 17:52

Sutekh
Stranded PL apparently advise 777 that their is unlikely to be a decision on their Everton takeover before January at the earliest. Apparently, they have been funding Everton under the proviso the deal was approved this side of Christmas.

9 point penalty, imagine the wailing and moaning and supporter demonstrations that there'd be over "poor little Everton" if that did happen.

Again this sort of attitude I find hard to swallow. Just because they are a PL side doesn’t mean the fans aren’t hurting in all this. Surely, surely after all we’ve been through we need to stop with this sort of rhetoric . Again this is punishing the fans and not the owners.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Dec 2023 09:07

Since their initial deduction, they've been on pretty decent form.

Everton fans may welcome it :lol: :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2023 12:17

Brogue
Sutekh

Again this sort of attitude I find hard to swallow. Just because they are a PL side doesn’t mean the fans aren’t hurting in all this. Surely, surely after all we’ve been through we need to stop with this sort of rhetoric . Again this is punishing the fans and not the owners.

It's punishing the clubs. Everton get relegated for the first time in 70 years. Welcome to football.

How do you suggest the owners are punished?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Dec 2023 12:33

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
Sutekh

It's punishing the clubs. Everton get relegated for the first time in 70 years. Welcome to football.

We have hundreds of pages on the team board about punishing owners and not the fans. Perhaps have a read

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Dec 2023 12:38

Brogue
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

We have hundreds of pages on the team board about punishing owners and not the fans. Perhaps have a read

Are they really your shoes?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2023 14:17

Brogue
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

I have. At no point has anyone given a solution that's actually possible.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Dec 2023 14:22

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
Snowflake Royal It's punishing the clubs. Everton get relegated for the first time in 70 years. Welcome to football.

agreed, but you're having a conversation/argument that no one else is having. I was just pointing out that relishing in another club's financial demise is in poor taste considering what we've been through. But it seems that just because this latest club is in the PL its OK to do that. Which I don't agree with... If you and Stukeh want to be hypocrites that's up to you, I'm not going to tell you to stop. Just voicing my displeasure about it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2023 14:25

Brogue
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

agreed, but you're having a conversation/argument that no one else is having. I was just pointing out that relishing in another club's financial demise is in poor taste considering what we've been through. But it seems that just because this latest club is in the PL its OK to do that. Which I don't agree with... If you and Stukeh want to be hypocrites that's up to you, I'm not going to tell you to stop. Just voicing my displeasure about it.

I'm not a hypocrite. I fully agree with all the sanctions we've faced and Everton also deserve what they're getting.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Dec 2023 22:07

https://edinburghcityfc.com/club-update/

Edinburgh City release most of their squad, shut down their development side and raise ticket prices to try and avoid going under.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Dec 2023 06:30

Not a good advert for the Scottish pyramid system.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Dec 2023 09:03

Not really the case, this seems to be problem specific to Edinburgh City. They're a small club in a big city with much larger, more established, more successful neighbours and they've pretty much exceeded their potential by being in League 1. I'd say that Scottish clubs are more adept and living within their means than their English counterparts.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Dec 2023 09:09

From Despair To Where? Not really the case, this seems to be problem specific to Edinburgh City. They're a small club in a big city with much larger, more established, more successful neighbours and they've pretty much exceeded their potential by being in League 1. I'd say that Scottish clubs are more adept and living within their means than their English counterparts.

Amazing what can be achieved when you're league isn't bloated with idiot tv money.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Dec 2023 10:56

Sutekh
From Despair To Where? Not really the case, this seems to be problem specific to Edinburgh City. They're a small club in a big city with much larger, more established, more successful neighbours and they've pretty much exceeded their potential by being in League 1. I'd say that Scottish clubs are more adept and living within their means than their English counterparts.

Amazing what can be achieved when you're league isn't bloated with idiot tv money.

The sums that clubs survive on (outside the Auld Firm plus Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen) are just ridiculously small by English standards. Even in the Championship the numbers are tiny but every club is living on or close to the breadline, and it doesn't take much to tip a club over the edge.

And because the numbers are so small, it's comparatively easy for an over-acheiveing team to do well enough that they go higher in the pyramid than they can realistically afford, which is precisely what Edinburgh City have done. Really, they're a Lowland League team with a small, local support base

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Dec 2023 11:00

Dirk Gently
Sutekh

The sums that clubs survive on (outside the Auld Firm plus Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen) are just ridiculously small by English standards. Even in the Championship the numbers are tiny but every club is living on or close to the breadline, and it doesn't take much to tip a club over the edge.

And because the numbers are so small, it's comparatively easy for an over-acheiveing team to do well enough that they go higher in the pyramid than they can realistically afford, which is precisely what Edinburgh City have done. Really, they're a Lowland League team with a small, local support base

Kind of shows that opening up the pyramid in a smaller country like Scotland is both a blessing and a curse especially for smaller clubs based around the big cities.

On a side note, quite a good Youtube channel, Footy Adventures, that mainly focuses on lower and non-league Scottish football - worth a watch occasionally.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Jan 2024 10:24

Forest submitted their accounts on 31st Dec and there seems to be a lot of chat that they are about to run into FFP problems

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Jan 2024 16:13

Winston Biscuit Forest submitted their accounts on 31st Dec and there seems to be a lot of chat that they are about to run into FFP problems

An article by the Athletic explains it well. They were basically banking on the sale of Brennan Johnson at the end of the season. Everyone knew this so lowballed them offers of £30m ahead of the 30th June year end, which they rejected. They ultimately got £45m for him from Spurs but in August, which will have fallen into the 23/24 financial year and be too late to save them.

They're arguing that their negotiating stance was good business sense that made them an extra £15m which they shouldn't be punished for, which is a laughably bad excuse which will surely get short shrift.

I believe the PL have a more streamlined process compared to the Everton case and if Forest are found in breach for what appears a simple case, any penalty will be applied this year. So the Championship may beckon.

5623 posts