Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by Brogue » 03 Jan 2024 16:33

forest v everton game should be called the deduction derby

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jan 2024 10:47

Brogue forest v everton game should be called the deduction derby

Aren't they in the same division as Reading now?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Jan 2024 12:18

Everton points deduction. Forest and Everton (again) apparently set to find out if they face FFP charges on Monday. Last time Everton were charged it was resolved in a couple of months, wasn't it? Meanwhile City's date with destiny is some time next century. It all stinks.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Jan 2024 12:19

Everton points deduction. Forest and Everton (again) apparently set to find out if they face FFP charges on Monday. Last time Everton were charged it was resolved in a couple of months, wasn't it? Meanwhile City's date with destiny is some time next century. It all stinks.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 Jan 2024 22:29

Sanguine Everton points deduction. Forest and Everton (again) apparently set to find out if they face FFP charges on Monday

Athletic reporter saying they will be charged.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2024 07:43

Sanguine Everton points deduction. Forest and Everton (again) apparently set to find out if they face FFP charges on Monday. Last time Everton were charged it was resolved in a couple of months, wasn't it? Meanwhile City's date with destiny is some time next century. It all stinks.

I hate this false comparison. Everton and Forest will be charged with very simple breaches of the FFP rules i.e. they lost too much money over the 3 year period.

City have been charged with multiple cases of what is alleged to be close to fraud - of course that will take a vastly longer period of time as I imagine forensic accountants need to review the books in great detail.

It may well all come to nothing, or be brushed under the carpet of course, but to compare the situations does nobody any favours.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Jan 2024 08:14

Stranded
Sanguine Everton points deduction. Forest and Everton (again) apparently set to find out if they face FFP charges on Monday. Last time Everton were charged it was resolved in a couple of months, wasn't it? Meanwhile City's date with destiny is some time next century. It all stinks.

I hate this false comparison. Everton and Forest will be charged with very simple breaches of the FFP rules i.e. they lost too much money over the 3 year period.

City have been charged with multiple cases of what is alleged to be close to fraud - of course that will take a vastly longer period of time as I imagine forensic accountants need to review the books in great detail.

It may well all come to nothing, or be brushed under the carpet of course, but to compare the situations does nobody any favours.

Personally I think it's a little naive to think that there won't be more 'two-way discussion' between club and PL when it comes to any sanctions City face.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2024 09:14

Sanguine
Stranded

Personally I think it's a little naive to think that there won't be more 'two-way discussion' between club and PL when it comes to any sanctions City face.

As there will be with any club. Doesn't change the fact these are very different situations.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 16:15

Premier League referral for FFP breaches confirmed by Everton and Forest.

I'm curious how it works for Everton, given they already have a 10 point penalty for 2020-22. Surely any penalty for 2021-23 must consider the 2 years' overlap?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Jan 2024 16:53

How does it work for promoted clubs like Forrest? Are the EFL and Premier League rules the same so they can use 3 years of accounts.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 Jan 2024 16:59

I would LOL a bit if Everton got another 10 point deduction

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2024 17:54

6ft Kerplunk How does it work for promoted clubs like Forrest? Are the EFL and Premier League rules the same so they can use 3 years of accounts.

Don't think so, they're two different jurisdictions. Bournemouth got fined by the EFL for breaking the rules when they went up, so I don't see how that can have counted against them in the PL.
https://talksport.com/football/395272/afc-bournemouth-fine-financial-fair-play/

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2024 18:06

Dirk Gently
6ft Kerplunk How does it work for promoted clubs like Forrest? Are the EFL and Premier League rules the same so they can use 3 years of accounts.

Don't think so, they're two different jurisdictions. Bournemouth got fined by the EFL for breaking the rules when they went up, so I don't see how that can have counted against them in the PL.

But it should be taken into consideration out of respect to the FL.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2024 18:34

Sutekh
Dirk Gently

But it should be taken into consideration out of respect to the FL.

The Pl have no respect for the FL.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Jan 2024 07:22

Forest have employed leading sports lawyer Nick de Marco to argue their case, which is thought to centre around the sale of Brennan Johnson to Tottenham for up to £45m in September.

This took place after the accounting deadline, but Forest argue their negotiating tactics allowed them to generate a higher fee than if they had been forced to sell by 30 June 2023.

Well I don’t care how good De Marco is, if that’s the best they can come up with, I think he might have a bit of a struggle on his hands.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Jan 2024 07:29

Dirk Gently

Yes, they do combine the limits - therefore for Forest it’s 2 years at £13m under FL rules and 1 year at £35m, so, back in the PL, a total limit for permissible losses of £61m for the 3 years to 2022/23.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Jan 2024 12:32

Masters telling the parliamentary select committee today that decision on 777 and Everton to be completed in the next few weeks. Given the money loaned, failure to approve is a disaster for Everton which moves them toward the precipice.

May help our cause if so. See how urgent the regulator becomes if Everton are up shit creek.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Jan 2024 17:20

All of this activity is really just the PL telling the government that they're perfectly capable of governing football themselves and so an independent regulator is not needed, thank you very much.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jan 2024 17:45

Trouble brewing for the Hammers over "their" stadium. Seems the legal firm tasked with getting the best deal for Londoners over the ongoing use have been sued (and lost) a claim from the LLDC (London Legacy Development Corporation (responsible for the ongoing development of the area in which the stadium is sited) over the utterly cr@p terms (for Londoners) that the firm agreed with the Hammers. Stadium is therefore operating at a massive loss (apparently the operating costs per annum are about £17m and West Ham are only paying about £4m and even with the stadium being used for other events there's still around a £10m deficit each year) the landlords (the stadium owners E20 Stadium have had to make provision in their accounts for future losses totalling £232m) are therefore now looking to try and tear up the current agreement. Worries now that if the stadium can't be sold to someone, that E20 might go under at some point and then god knows what'll happen to the 'appy 'ammers.

Said at the time it was a stupid white elephant to build and then to give it to a football club on more than generous terms just to ensure it's got some regular use was even more of a stupid idea.

Stadium is now apparently getting into a poor state of repair and no one willing to foot the bill.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 16 Jan 2024 17:58

I wonder how the 'ammers got such a favourable deal.

5623 posts