The generic transfer thread

10377 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: The generic transfer thread

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Sep 2020 13:41

Hendo Liverpool are considering allowing Rhian Brewster to leave on a permanent deal in this transfer window, with the possible protection of a buy-back clause.

:shock: :?

What are you insinuating? We could buy him? He is far better than Reading Football Club. It has transfer to Southampton written all over it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Sep 2020 13:50

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Liverpool are considering allowing Rhian Brewster to leave on a permanent deal in this transfer window, with the possible protection of a buy-back clause.

:shock: :?

What are you insinuating? We could buy him? He is far better than Reading Football Club. It has transfer to Southampton written all over it.

No no, if I thought we could get him, I’d put it in the Rumours and Gossip sub-forum.

Just a bit surprised that Liverpool are happy to let him go, thought he was going to be the next big thing coming through.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to Southampton at all.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Sep 2020 18:14

Ollie Watkins to Villa. £28M rising to £33M

:shock:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Sep 2020 19:05

Winston Biscuit Ollie Watkins to Villa. £28M rising to £33M

That seems a bit OTT. Good player for sure, but that is :shock:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Sep 2020 19:05

Good job covid put an end to ridiculous transfer fees.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Sep 2020 20:36

Hendo

That seems a bit OTT. Good player for sure, but that is :shock:

1 good season he had. Brentford seem to have the model of buying players, developing them and getting a oxf*rd of money for them, and doing again.

Newcastle have brough Lewis from Norwich.

Good player and good business.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Sep 2020 11:23

Exeter to get £4.2M from the Watkins deal due to a sell on clause. That sell on clause alone smashes their transfer record

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Sep 2020 11:27

Winston Biscuit Exeter to get £4.2M from the Watkins deal due to a sell on clause. That sell on clause alone smashes their transfer record

Brilliant news for them!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Sep 2020 11:29

Hendo
Winston Biscuit Exeter to get £4.2M from the Watkins deal due to a sell on clause. That sell on clause alone smashes their transfer record

Brilliant news for them!

I don't know too much about them but Exeter have alway struck me as a decent, well run club. Their academy is certainly very good based upon the players it has produced.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Sep 2020 11:37

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Brilliant news for them!

I don't know too much about them but Exeter have alway struck me as a decent, well run club. Their academy is certainly very good based upon the players it has produced.

Same. Looking at it, names which stand out are:

Ethan Ampadu
George Friend
Ollie Watkins

Plus I am sure there are a bunch of young players they have developed, but maybe didn't come through their academy.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Sep 2020 11:54

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Brilliant news for them!

Ethan Ampadu
George Friend
Ollie Watkins

Plus I am sure there are a bunch of young players they have developed, but maybe didn't come through their academy.

It is quite simple when you think about it. Have a good local scouting network, sign up talented kids, train them, give them first team football and then move them on for a large fee. It is such a straightforward business model that so many clubs in League 1 and 2 fail to do and end up in financial peril. Too many clubs at that level looking for the quick win and financially killing themselves in the process.

I have just seen they are completely redeveloping their stadium too which is an indication of just how well Exeter are doing.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Sep 2020 11:57

Does this make Watkins the most expensive signing from the English 2nd tier?

if you ignore players who have just been relegated from the PL so haven't even played in the Championship (like Wijnaldum, Sissoko etc) then I can't think of anyone more expensive than Neves for about £18M
Last edited by Winston Biscuit on 09 Sep 2020 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Sep 2020 11:58

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews I don't know too much about them but Exeter have alway struck me as a decent, well run club. Their academy is certainly very good based upon the players it has produced.

Ethan Ampadu
George Friend
Ollie Watkins

It is quite simple when you think about it. Have a good local scouting network, sign up talented kids, train them, give them first team football and then move them on for a large fee. It is such a straightforward business model that so many clubs in League 1 and 2 fail to do and end up in financial peril. Too many clubs at that level looking for the quick win and financially killing themselves in the process.

I have just seen they are completely redeveloping their stadium too which is an indication of just how well Exeter are doing.

I guess something they do have in their favour is a very large catchment area. The only other major club you have in the local area really is Plymouth and even that is still oxf*rd miles away. You obviously still need the talent to spot these kids.

Take us for example, really good local kids would have their pick of a number of clubs to choose from.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Sep 2020 13:50

Two good signings for Newcastle in Wilson and Lewis.

The Brewster one is odd - best goals per game ratio excluding penalties in the Championship last season from the time he joined Swansea, he looks a great prospect. FSG run things tightly at Liverpool, but they risk it being 'one and done' (albeit that one was four trophies) if they don't help Klopp retain and nurture replacements for their starting XI. The strength of their first XI is undeniable, but they also have easily the weakest bench of the top 6.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Sep 2020 13:53

Sanguine Two good signings for Newcastle in Wilson and Lewis.

The Brewster one is odd - best goals per game ratio excluding penalties in the Championship last season from the time he joined Swansea, he looks a great prospect. FSG run things tightly at Liverpool, but they risk it being 'one and done' (albeit that one was four trophies) if they don't help Klopp retain and nurture replacements for their starting XI. The strength of their first XI is undeniable, but they also have easily the weakest bench of the top 6.

I think this is the key point for me. They really don't have too much depth, not proven depth anyway.

If they were to lose a couple of key players, say VVD and Mane for a long period, they could well struggle compared to Chelsea, Utd or City.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2020 14:00

Hendo
Sanguine Two good signings for Newcastle in Wilson and Lewis.

I think this is the key point for me. They really don't have too much depth, not proven depth anyway.

If they were to lose a couple of key players, say VVD and Mane for a long period, they could well struggle compared to Chelsea, Utd or City.

Agreed, think most people believe Liverpool’s shrewd non investment this summer (just the Greek chap as cover for Robertson so far isn’t it) will see them back down to a 3rd/4th place battle though Thiago remains on the club’s radar if Wijnaldum leaves). Mind you they do have some decent kids coming through but then you never win anything with kids...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Sep 2020 14:37

Didn't everyone say Liverpool had no strength in depth last season? How did that work out for them?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Sep 2020 15:22

Silver Fox How did that work out for them?

They didn't need strength in depth? Last season seven players took part in at least 35 of their 38 league games. In 18/19 it was five, with three more playing at least 30.

I don't think anyone is questioning the effectiveness of their best 11/13/14 players. But they've gone two full seasons without losing Van Dijk, TAA, Robertson, Mane, Firmino or Salah for any significant length of time. That's a testament to the work of their fitness coaches of course, but by law of averages probably something that can't be sustained. Ironically/happily where they have had injury lay-offs, such as Henderson and Fabinho, they've had very good cover in the likes of Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I wouldn't fancy them to keep up with City though if they had to play Origi up front for six months - or Milner and Williams at full-back.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what Klopp/FSG are doing, and that the likes of Jones and Williams and Elliott will get chances (Elliott should prove to be one hell of a player), but can't help but think that the club has missed a chance to double down on its success.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Sep 2020 15:46

That really ^^.

Yes it worked out for them last season of course it did, but like Sangers said, law of averages is that its going to come tumbling down at some point. You can't go on playing the way they do with only 13 core players, not matter how good those core players are.

Lets say they had signed;

Werner
Van Der Beek
Ake

Instead of their rivals, you'd say that Liverpool were nailed on for the title and probably the next few as well.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Sep 2020 15:49

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing has his contract terminated by Cardiff, he has also deleted his social media accounts

Shame saggy Harry isn't around anymore, sounds like the kind of 'rough diamond' he would sign up

10377 posts