Terrible refereeing ruining football - the saga continues.

248 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Terrible refereeing ruining football - the saga continues.

by PieEater » 21 Jun 2010 14:03

Kaka getting sent off was justice for the constant wining and cheating of the Brazilian team throughout the game. Lucio was just embarassing, as were Chielini and de Rossi in the italian game.

The refs constantly fall for this play acting presumably because they are pretty good at it.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 21 Jun 2010 15:50

OK. Swiss guy just got a red for not much! Where is the crowing???

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Jun 2010 16:52

i just dont get all the media gnashing of teeth over kaka sending off. if you watched the whole context of it, it was clearly the right decision, all of the pundits and journos saying he didnt mean it, it was totally accidental are talking utter rubbish. imo

is it just cos hes a great player that they all developed blindness?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Jun 2010 18:12

The whole context being what exactly?

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 21 Jun 2010 18:31

Flyingkiwi OK. Swiss guy just got a red for not much! Where is the crowing???

Deserved it though. Deliberate movement towards two players' faces, even if they did ridiculously overstate it.

This World Cup (and especially the last two days) have made me lose a lot of passion and respect for the game, all that happened today and in the Brazil game was a lot of diving and trying to cheat the way to victory.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 21 Jun 2010 18:42

Royal Rother Kaka didn't raise his arm...
You cannot be serious.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 21 Jun 2010 19:54

Off to Headless Square with the dope in charge of Chile v. Switzerlan* immediately upon his plane touching down in Riyadh --just march him straight past customs and kneel him down in front of the bucket as another man draws the big blade

*The d got sent off, and for nothing at all that a simple booking couldn't've punished justly

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jun 2010 22:34

Schards#2 It's not the refereeing, it's the ball that's ruining this tournament, or more accurately, FIFA for foisting it onto us for the sake of a few quid.

The world's greatest players are massively overhitting crosses and putting free kicks tens of yards over the bar, and not just at the higher altitude venues. I can hardly remember a decent shot from outside the area and not a single decent free kick. They can't all have suddenly become crap simultaneously.

Furthermore, it seems to run away from people when passed through, it reminds me of watching games on the earliest astro turf pitches where the ball never held up, just always ran through to the keeper or out of play.

For the sake of whatever they are being paid, FIFA have ruined their own tournament.

Agreed

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jun 2010 22:35

Maguire Having watched the majority of games in this tournament, I am of the honest opinion that the standard of officiating has been significantly higher than the standard of the football.

Agreed

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jun 2010 22:38

Villa should of got sent off tonight

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jun 2010 06:21

Arch
You cannot be serious.

Well, depends on your definition of "raising an arm" I suppose.

If you consider twitching an arm 6" higher than normal carriage (in an instinctive act of self-preservation a moment before an impact) to be a fair example of "raising an arm" then maybe I've got this wrong.

To me "raising an arm" in football means something a little more aggressive than that.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Jun 2010 09:11

Royal Rother
Arch
You cannot be serious.

Well, depends on your definition of "raising an arm" I suppose.

If you consider twitching an arm 6" higher than normal carriage (in an instinctive act of self-preservation a moment before an impact) to be a fair example of "raising an arm" then maybe I've got this wrong.

To me "raising an arm" in football means something a little more aggressive than that.

'gree with you RR

He just tensed up and the guy ran into him. It wasn't a yellow in a million years and I 100% guarantee that Keita wasn't hurt in the slightest.

Also don't agree with Behrami's red card yesterday. I did that all the time when I was playing football - just holding off a guy who's clinging on to you. It's not the same as throwing an elbow.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Jun 2010 09:12

This thread just sums up why video technology during games wouldn't work. People on here have watched countless replays and still can't agree on whehter Kaka showed any intent and should have gone off.........

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Jun 2010 09:18

Wycombe Royal This thread just sums up why video technology during games wouldn't work. People on here have watched countless replays and still can't agree on whehter Kaka showed any intent and should have gone off.........

I'd guess any use of video technology would include having people involved who know the laws of the game and their interpretation though.

Having said that I don't quite see how any video replay would allow you to judge 'intent' (in the situations where it's of any relevance), or allow you to judge an incident in context. I'm impressed by those who appear able to get inside the head of a player and work out his thought processes based purely on what they see on the TV.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Jun 2010 09:35

Sun Tzu
Wycombe Royal This thread just sums up why video technology during games wouldn't work. People on here have watched countless replays and still can't agree on whehter Kaka showed any intent and should have gone off.........

I'd guess any use of video technology would include having people involved who know the laws of the game and their interpretation though.

But where interpretation is required there will always be differences as these people are not robots and will have their own opinion on how to interpret the law. That's the problem with football, most of the contentious decisions are not black and white......

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Jun 2010 10:16

Wycombe Royal
Sun Tzu

But where interpretation is required there will always be differences as these people are not robots and will have their own opinion on how to interpret the law. That's the problem with football, most of the contentious decisions are not black and white......

It's not a problem though is it ? It's the nature of the game. It's a problem because people witter on about 'consistency' rather than actually trying to understand what the laws of the game are about and how they are applied. The problem is with the fans and 'experts' who argue from a point of view that is removed from what the game actually is. It is (I would argue) impossible to make the rules black and white without fundamentally changing the nature of the game.

I'd also hope that at the highest level of the game there is less variation in interpretation between officials as they are all given the same briefing. It will never appear to be 100% (partly because we're so guided by incompetant fools in the media and partly because I don;t the law makers do enough to communicate with fans, players and managers about the way decisions are made and how they are instructing referees to view certain offences.

Whilst Premiership managers still go on about players deserving red cards for being 'the last man', as David Moyes has done in this WC I think we have big problems with the running of the game. I can;t imagine another other sport has such poorly informed participants as football does.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Jun 2010 10:51

Royal Rother The whole context being what exactly?

hed just been rightly yellow carded for some niggling argy bargy with the same player, and been warned strongly to pack it in.
the brazilians had got riled by some stiff tackles from the ivorians, and then kaka deliberately and slyly-thinking hed get away with it-elbowed/shouldered the guy.revenge for the previous, and he carried it one when the ref had warned him not to.
the ref had no choice iMO - kaka has no one to blame but himself, and it was his own stupid fault.it was soft, but only on his part.

yes hes a great player, yes the other guy collapsing and clutching his face was ridiculous, yes the ref didnt actually see it.
but kaka definitely meant it.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Jun 2010 10:55

Maguire
Royal Rother
Arch 'gree with you RR

He just tensed up and the guy ran into him. It wasn't a yellow in a million years and I 100% guarantee that Keita wasn't hurt in the slightest.

Also don't agree with Behrami's red card yesterday. I did that all the time when I was playing football - just holding off a guy who's clinging on to you. It's not the same as throwing an elbow.

he had time to step aside, he could have used his hands, or just turned his back. he deliberately raised the elbow and used the hardest most nobbly part of his body to hit the guy.

on its own, no it wasnt a yellow, but 5 mins after his yellow in a set to with the same player and being told to leave it, it was.

by 1960 » 22 Jun 2010 12:03

And any way, whether Kaka deserved to go or not it was nice to se Karma at work- albeit 8 years on. Rivaldo hit in the knee (by a ball FFS) and falling down clutching his head was maybe the most obvious and embarrassing play-acts of all time. He got away with it in the game and the Turk was sent off. Now what went around has come around.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 22 Jun 2010 12:08

brendywendy
he had time to step aside, he could have used his hands, or just turned his back. he deliberately raised the elbow and used the hardest most nobbly part of his body to hit the guy.

on its own, no it wasnt a yellow, but 5 mins after his yellow in a set to with the same player and being told to leave it, it was.

More importantly, why was the Ivorian running into him? He had plenty of time to stop or sidestep. Instead he deliberately tried to get Kaka sent off. If Kaka desvered a yellow card the Ivorian deserved a straight red.

248 posts