PARAGAY / NZ + ITALY / SLOVAKIA

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

PARAGAY / NZ + ITALY / SLOVAKIA

by bobbybottler » 24 Jun 2010 10:22

Just doing the honours.

I've been deeply impressed (and wrong) about NZ in this tournie so far, and I expect that to continue because I'm tipping Paraguay.

Paraguay are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me ever since I first saw Chilavert, the mutha of all free-kick taking penalty scoring centre forward assaulting goalkeepers from Hell.

Italy - :| but who knows they'll probably go on and win from here. They were as shite as this in the group stages of 1982.

So.....in a break from the current conventions on hobnob I will post my bets up pre-match...

Paraguay to win
Italy / Slovakia under 3.5 goals

Many thanks.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: PARAGAY / NZ + ITALY / SLOVAKIA

by NR_Royal » 24 Jun 2010 10:30

ParaGAY? :|

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 24 Jun 2010 12:46

I've not been impressed with NZ at all. Slovakia should have had them out of sight before NZ scored a very late equaliser, and Italy had them under the cosh for most of the game last Sunday. I fully expect Paraguay to play all over them today, and win cosily.

Despite Italy only having drawn their first two games, I actually think they've played all right (better than France & England). Again, they should brush past the Slovakians with ease.

The double pays just over even money. Fill your boots.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 24 Jun 2010 13:39

Kiwis possess will and luck in roughly equal measures, which helps when you can't match anybody for talent

I've found Paraguay very, very impressive, both here and in past performances --and if this competition ends up matching my vague sense that it would be domin7ed by the southern hemispheric/equatorial nations, then I expect them to be right there in the mix (route: Japan/Denmark >> Chile/Spain/Swiss even/Portugal >> Argentina/Germany/England >> final)

For today, it'll come down to keeping their bookings to a minimum, and I don't see NZ refusing to oblige them by getting into the rough stuff and making the referee start flashing the cards

Italy to do what's needed; Japan v. Denmark later on is the one that's got my attention in any case

Magnus

by Magnus » 24 Jun 2010 13:42

Zammo I've not been impressed with NZ at all. Slovakia should have had them out of sight before NZ scored a very late equaliser, and Italy had them under the cosh for most of the game last Sunday. I fully expect Paraguay to play all over them today, and win cosily.

Despite Italy only having drawn their first two games, I actually think they've played all right (better than France & England). Again, they should brush past the Slovakians with ease.

Don't like accumulators (even over 2 legs), especially when just backing favourites, and especially in this WC where the favourites keep losing.

But for all that, f*ck it I'll join you. If only as I can't see any other value bets today.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 24 Jun 2010 13:46

Zammo I've not been impressed with NZ at all. Slovakia should have had them out of sight before NZ scored a very late equaliser, and Italy had them under the cosh for most of the game last Sunday. I fully expect Paraguay to play all over them today, and win cosily.

Zammo - another way of looking at exactly the same teams would be to see NZ as plucky never-say-die triers, Slovakia as hopleless bottlers and Italy as toothless mediocrities. Don't forget that Italy needed a penalty to equalise against NZ and were unable to break them down in open play.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jun 2010 13:47

bobbybottler

Zammo - another way of looking at exactly the same teams would be to see NZ as plucky never-say-die triers, Slovakia as hopleless bottlers and Italy as toothless mediocrities. Don't forget that Italy needed a penalty to equalise against NZ and were unable to break them down in open play.

Wasn't the NZ goal offisde though?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 24 Jun 2010 14:10

Wycombe Royal
bobbybottler

Wasn't the NZ goal offisde though?

Not disagreeing but that doesn't in any way disprove Italy's lack of a cutting edge. Is Pirlo still absent today?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 24 Jun 2010 15:06

NR_Royal ParaGAY? :|

:lol: You just know it was done on purpose :roll:

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 24 Jun 2010 15:07

Predictions...

Paraguay 2-1 NZ
Italy 1-1 Slovakia

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 24 Jun 2010 15:11

That would put Italy through with 3 x 1-1 draws in the weakest group of this World Cup... :evil:

How undeserving would that be? Probably go on and win the whole shooting match again, though... :roll:

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 24 Jun 2010 15:29

Well I'm hoping ParaGAY win the group. :)

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 24 Jun 2010 15:33

Just to refresh my memory: Slovakia have a vote in this --aye?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 24 Jun 2010 15:37

Is it possible to watch ITV online?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Jun 2010 15:44

RoyalChicagoFC Just to refresh my memory: Slovakia have a vote in this --aye?

they certainly do now, 1-0

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 24 Jun 2010 15:54

http://live.itv.com/episode/41

Couldn't get it to work at all in firefox, then had to sit through adverts before the stream started. Missed the goal.

I fcuking hate ITV

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Jun 2010 15:55

As it stands

Paraguay and New Zealand going through.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Jun 2010 15:59

Try stv if ITV won't stream - i've used it all WC with no issues.

Slovakia actually owning Italy here. Shame..

No bets on today having lost heavily laying England yday. Tennis acca came in to claw a bit back but still a bit of a bloodbath :-(

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 24 Jun 2010 16:06

No Fixed Abode As it stands

Paraguay and New Zealand going through.

Paraguay and Slovakia - surely?! :|

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 24 Jun 2010 16:11