EngLOLand - The Backlash!

324 posts

Re: EngLOLand - The Backlash!

by 1960 » 27 Jun 2010 18:39

Could the one silver lining be that we sack the lot of them and start again with youngsters? The only problem there is that every top team only has a couple of good young players - and they are alaways out on loan. It's the bleeding Premier League - about 75% foreign. Just no room for good young kids. Look at the Bundesliga - full of German players because they don't play stupid wages. They no longer dominate club football, but they sure as hell do in international tournaments.

But having said all that - if Lampard's goal had counted and we had sneaked a lead in the secondhalf with his bar shot maybe the whole game would have been different. We cerainly wouldn't have collapsed as we did. Pundits bang on about how poor we were (and we were), but if that goal had stood it might have been very different.

Sorry - stream of consciousness.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 27 Jun 2010 18:39

Can I suggest a fan boycott of the pointless friendly with Hungary in August as a start of the backlash.....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Jun 2010 18:43

Capello has not done that much different to what he did in the qualifiers. Gerrard regularly played out left, the team was always announced 2 hours before kick off and he was always promoting a strict approach.

It's laughable how Capello was told to treat the players with friendliness when the same people attacked Eriksson and McClaren for calling them by their nicknames and trying to be their best mate.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 27 Jun 2010 18:48

I lay the blame with the manager.. 4-4 2 !!!! with no wingers , is mind numbingly poor tactics
he can't speak english for a start and confuses completely unadaptable players , by playing them out of their best positions WHY ? It's the world cup NOT a friendly , It's important to get the best out of your team
BUT ALSO ,today there were 6 or 7 players who were asleep
I still think cole/terry/gerrard and rooney are good enough at this level.
barry/lampard/jcole/defoe/james in squad
johnson a maybe but today he looked fat ,slow and clueless

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Jun 2010 18:48

England didn't have a hard group to qualify for the finals so Capello's achievement here is limited. Wales had Germany and Russia in their qualifying group. England would not have romped to easy qualification in that group. Thats for sure.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 27 Jun 2010 18:55

John Madejski's Wallet
Avon Royal
willz_royal Its only us that think England are any good anyway. We are an average side that should lower our expectations and be happy to get to the last 16. We have no right to assume that we are good enough to go forwards as we have NEVER proved this.

Terrible performance, nothing of note out there today, but maybe this will make the country realise we are on a par with lesser international teams, not the big boys

Sorry Willz, that's not quite right.

If our players play to the level that they do every week for their club teams then we could be a match for all but the top two or three teams in the world. The issue is one of pride and motivation. If England had given their best and got whupped by Germany then I think that the reaction would have been different.

They get to play like that week in, week out as they are supported by very good FOREIGN players.

Lampard gets to score so many as he has the quality of Drogba in front of him making runs, holding up the ball, and laying it off. Move him to the England team and he doesn't have that.... and doesn't have the ability to do something himself. Same with most of the England players.

Not completely true: Rooney has Fletcher and Park; Lampard has Kalou; Gerrard has 9 players who are not Torres when Mascherano is suspended.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Jun 2010 18:58

PEARCEY England didn't have a hard group to qualify for the finals so Capello's achievement here is limited. Wales had Germany and Russia in their qualifying group. England would not have romped to easy qualification in that group. Thats for sure.

Croatia had beaten them twice in the euro qualifiers and Ukraine have some good players. Wales ranking for qualifying alway will put them in a harder group than England so I don't see how they can be compared to England.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Jun 2010 19:03

sandman
PEARCEY England didn't have a hard group to qualify for the finals so Capello's achievement here is limited. Wales had Germany and Russia in their qualifying group. England would not have romped to easy qualification in that group. Thats for sure.

Croatia had beaten them twice in the euro qualifiers and Ukraine have some good players. Wales ranking for qualifying alway will put them in a harder group than England so I don't see how they can be compared to England.

All true. However Croatia were dreadful in the qualifiers so England didn't have to beat much to get to South Africa.
Last edited by PEARCEY on 27 Jun 2010 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Jun 2010 19:06

engLOLand
capeLOLLOLo
LOLampard
ashLOLey coLOLe
emiLOLe heskey
joe coLOLe
james miLOLner
wembLOLey
4 goaLOLs conceded
disallowed goaLOL
footbaLOLLOL association

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 27 Jun 2010 19:18

Kitson12
Avon Royal Whatever else this bunch of failures achieve in their careers, they will always be remembered for this most pathetic of capitulations.

They have brought shame to themselves and their country. This is the final destination of the premier league road paved with ill gotten money and questionable morals. Where fame and lifestyle are more important than passion and pride. They deserve all the anger and bile that is going to come their way. Will they care? Will they fuck. The mansion will still be there with the sports cars in the garage and the fake plastic trophy wife waiting inside.

Representing England is a privilege that comes with the responsibility to give of your all. If this lot were playing for their club team they'd be busting a gut. After all, it is the club that provides the money and at the end of the day that is what really counts.
We will never win a world cup until playing for England once again becomes the pinnacle of an English footballer's career.
Bobby Moore will be turning in his grave tonight.

+1

I agree but not entirely.

In 65/66 Bobby Moore didn't play half the games the players on the pitch did today. The most he played that year was 55 games. In the 60's West Ham had some European glory but he played far less than the likes of Terry, Lampard etc. You can't expect anything from a knackered side. Capello is entirely to blame for this, Heskey shouldn't of even been in the squad let alone allowed on the pitch.

The team has no excuses whatsoever, they were awful. But we won't win a World Cup until we make room for home grown English talent and eventually rid of all the European players in our Premier League. We also need an English manager. Hodgson or Redknapp PLEASE.

Could absolutely not agree more with the whole, club is their provider of money though.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Jun 2010 19:25

URZZ
We also need an English manager.

The best English candidate as far as I can see would be Hodgson who has spent most of his coaching career abroad.

The rest simply aren't good enough.

royal tee

by royal tee » 27 Jun 2010 19:25

Schards#2 England have been on the wrong end of the two worst refereeing decisions in the history of the tournament.

LOL - does that include the one that gifted you the cup in....sorry can't remember the year

or how about Shumacher vs Battiston

:roll:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Jun 2010 19:27

royal tee
Schards#2 England have been on the wrong end of the two worst refereeing decisions in the history of the tournament.

LOL - does that include the one that gifted you the cup in....sorry can't remember the year or how about Shumacher vs Battiston

You're obviously a bitter Scottish supporter. Bet you're having a gr8 laugh. :roll:

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 27 Jun 2010 19:27

URZZ We also need an English manager. Hodgson or Redknapp PLEASE.

sandman The best English candidate as far as I can see would be Hodgson who has spent most of his coaching career abroad.

Yup.

royal tee

by royal tee » 27 Jun 2010 19:29

Royal Lady
royal tee

LOL - does that include the one that gifted you the cup in....sorry can't remember the year or how about Shumacher vs Battiston

You're obviously a bitter Scottish supporter. Bet you're having a gr8 laugh. :roll:

Not at all. Just not quite as one-eyed and trying to keep things in a bit of perspective

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Jun 2010 19:30

royal tee

LOL - does that include the one that gifted you the cup in....sorry can't remember the year

All countries can complain about bad decisons. England are certainly no worse off than the rest.
I'm still getting over Joe Jordan's handball against Wales in the crucial WC qualifier in 1977 which the ref decided was a Scottish penalty. It cost Wales dearly as did the pen against the bloody Scots in 1985 which was at best dubious.
Ireland have every right to be angry about Thierry Henry. Sometimes its worse and more costly when these decisions go against you in vital qualifiers especially for smaller nations.
Old wounds never heal.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Jun 2010 19:31

Well, why would you say "won YOU the cup" if you were an England fan you wouldn't have said that. So, whether Scottish or not, you're clearly not an England fan, so tbh I, personally, couldn't give a flying one about what you think about England.

royal tee

by royal tee » 27 Jun 2010 19:34

PEARCEY
royal tee

All countries can complain about bad decisons. England are certainly no worse off than the rest.
I'm still getting over Joe Jordan's handball against Wales in the crucial WC qualifier in 1977 which the ref decided was a Scottish penalty. It cost Wales dearly as did the pen against the bloody Scots in 1985 which was at best dubious.
Ireland have every right to be angry about Thierry Henry. Sometimes its worse and more costly when these decisions go against you in vital qualifiers especially for smaller nations.
Old wounds never heal.

Exactly - every country, and every club, has their own sob stories about bad decisions and things not going their way. They always forget about the times when they are on the other side of it.

To say that England have been on the wrong side of the two worst refereeing decisions in the history of the tournament is quite frankly laughable

royal tee

by royal tee » 27 Jun 2010 19:35

Royal Lady Well, why would you say "won YOU the cup" if you were an England fan you wouldn't have said that.

I'm just a fan of good football who has a sense of perspective.

Royal Lady So, whether Scottish or not, you're clearly not an England fan, so tbh I, personally, couldn't give a flying one about what you think about England.

LOL - its only a game dear. Do calm down

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Jun 2010 19:43

sandman
URZZ
We also need an English manager.

The best English candidate as far as I can see would be Hodgson who has spent most of his coaching career abroad.

I don't know what it is about England that makes us act like Newcastle supporters at every setback. It doesn't matter who the manager is. If the players aren't that great, we'll never achieve much anyway. The manager isn't the issue. A squad that just isn't good enough is. Yes, if he get them playing to their very best then getting to the semi-finals was achievable, but the genuine contenders are teams who typically regard reaching the semi-final as the minimum achievement.

Our failures over the last 4 decades haven't been down to poor managers and bad luck. It's simply that our players aren't good enough. We are not an elite level team, and you'd have to back to 1970 for the last time we might have been considered one.

324 posts