EngLOLand - The Backlash!

324 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: EngLOLand - The Backlash!

by Maguire » 01 Jul 2010 10:04

The whole "the baby's not yours" thing is older than the hills.

I think they called him Pancake because of how often he flips. His name appeared in an article I read a month or so ago about SOuth American involvement in the Merseyside drugs trade.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Jul 2010 11:29

Will Graham be getting a legal threat?

NSC [Brighton messageboard NorthStandChat is temporarily closed in order to ensure people read, and take notice of, the following:

Today I received a threat of legal action relating to potentially libellous postings on NSC.

Please be aware that NSC is not here to allow people to make libellous postings about individuals and oganisations. If you have a grievance with someone, please use another avenue to air it.

I have always 'run' (I use the term loosely) NSC as a hobby of sorts, and I'm simply not prepared to assume legal and/or financial risk for the reckless actions of others. NSC logs quite a bit of information about you and it is likely that it could be used to locate and identify you, should the need arise. You are almost certainly not as anonymous as you may think.

Simply - please think before you post.

Darren (Bozza)

Magnus

by Magnus » 01 Jul 2010 11:32

Fair play but I think this horse has pretty much bolted and the solicitors must know it. It's surely on every football messageboard by now.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 01 Jul 2010 11:51

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
FiNeRaIn Big mike sounds like a bit of a tarrier, but to be fair he's making a few points I agree with and its easy to see why a lot of people get annoyed. British Broadcasting is not ENGLISH broadcasting, it should also be catering to the " sweaties, taffs and micks" as you put it. If we base a government on not offending a minority of muslims or ignoring our society rules and allowing them to wear burkas and build mosque's with our money...why can't we cater to people who have spent generations in britain with a bit more neutrality and acceptance that they want fair coverage of the world cup?

How do you propose we cater for the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish at this world cup? Bring on Jim Bowen and have him say "Lads, look, he's what you could have won"?

A speedboat ?! :lol:

I think really the issue is not the amount of England coverage but lack of coverage of the actual games being televised, but that's all been discussed and the quality of punditry criticized en masse elsewhere.

Magnus

by Magnus » 01 Jul 2010 12:00

But I live in Birmingham Jim :|

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 01 Jul 2010 17:02

Apologies if this has already been posted but a little birdy tells me....

A non playing squad member earns a minimum of £250,000 for going to the world cup as one of the 23

Appearence money and other bonuses can then be added.

Each player when arriving at their 5star hotel room had waiting for them on the bed :-

a blackberry
an xbox
a top of the range laptop / ibook

Magnus

by Magnus » 01 Jul 2010 17:26

Nick Shorey my Lord! Each player when arriving at their 5star hotel room had waiting for them on the bed :-

a blackberry
an xbox
a top of the range laptop / ibook[/i]

What's the problem with this? Fair enough if they're away from home for a month I'd say.

Wouldn't your company provide similar?

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 01 Jul 2010 17:28

Nick Shorey my Lord! Apologies if this has already been posted but a little birdy tells me....

A non playing squad member earns a minimum of £250,000 for going to the world cup as one of the 23

Each player when arriving at their 5star hotel room had waiting for them on the bed :-

a blackberry
an xbox

Stephen Warnock :?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jul 2010 19:41

bigmike
Clarence Seedorf was in the BBC studio for the Italy versus Paraguay match and he was making a point about the positive impact an Italian substitute had made on the game. He was referring to Antonio Di Natale, winner of more than 30 caps for the Azzurri and the leading goalscorer in Serie A in the season just gone, but Seedorf couldn't remember his name. Hadn't a clue. Neither did the blokes alongside him, Hansen among them. "He was the No 10," said a smiling Seedorf, who then reached for a team-sheet on the desk for help before realising that it was the Dutch team-sheet. "That's no use," he laughed.

I'm sure Seedorf does know who Di Natale is he has played against him for Milan more than a few times after all.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 01 Jul 2010 22:13

ScottishRoyal
FiNeRaIn Big mike sounds like a bit of a tarrier, but to be fair he's making a few points I agree with and its easy to see why a lot of people get annoyed. British Broadcasting is not ENGLISH broadcasting, it should also be catering to the " sweaties, taffs and micks" as you put it. If we base a government on not offending a minority of muslims or ignoring our society rules and allowing them to wear burkas and build mosque's with our money...why can't we cater to people who have spent generations in britain with a bit more neutrality and acceptance that they want fair coverage of the world cup?

How do you propose we cater for the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish at this world cup? Bring on Jim Bowen and have him say "Lads, look, he's what you could have won"?

A speedboat ?! :lol:

I think really the issue is not the amount of England coverage but lack of coverage of the actual games being televised, but that's all been discussed and the quality of punditry criticized en masse elsewhere.

I know. I said the same myself on the last page, and in my actual reply to bigmike.

But when someone says "British Broadcasting is not ENGLISH broadcasting, it should also be catering to the " sweaties, taffs and micks" in reply to the theme of an earlier poster, then what is "fair" coverage of the world cup?

The rant about "allowing" muslims to wear burkas wasn't worth touching.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Jul 2010 23:38

It wasn't meant in a serious context, but there are parallels. If you build a multicultural society you take the needs of everyone involved into it and try and be as fair as possible. Welsh, scots and Ulstermen do not want to hear about what the England team had for breakfast when they are tuning in to watch Usa Vs Ghana, do they? Tbh, neither do I because the England set up is such a cringe worthy joke its embarrassing.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Jul 2010 00:03

Just watched The Bobby Moore Story on ESPN Classic. Very good and moving...had me in tears. What a tragedy that England's finest was treated so shabbily in his latter years. Surely for many football fans the picture of Pele and Moore smiling at each other as they exchanged shirts in utter and complete mutual respect after that brilliant game in the 1970 World Cup Finals is one to cherish.
He died too young.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Jul 2010 00:07

FiNeRaIn It wasn't meant in a serious context, but there are parallels. If you build a multicultural society you take the needs of everyone involved into it and try and be as fair as possible. Welsh, scots and Ulstermen do not want to hear about what the England team had for breakfast when they are tuning in to watch Usa Vs Ghana, do they? Tbh, neither do I because the England set up is such a cringe worthy joke its embarrassing.

in the end it comes down to three things

1) not being able to talk about games without a strong premier/champions league presence in terms of the players out there.
2) not being interested in talking about games without a strong premier/champions league presence in terms of the players out there.
3) not believing the viewing public wants to see them talk about games without a strong premier/champions league presence in terms of the players out there.

"the mood in the camp" became an awful cliched way of filling time very quickly, to the extent that they really seem to believe they are providing as essential service. Sometimes I think if world war 3 broke out during a world cup, they'd interrupt live coverage of the escalation of war to cut to "the camp" so Gabby Logan can ask Frank Lampard what he had for breakfast, and other vital questions.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 02 Jul 2010 00:24

PEARCEY Just watched The Bobby Moore Story on ESPN Classic. Very good and moving...had me in tears. What a tragedy that England's finest was treated so shabbily in his latter years. Surely for many football fans the picture of Pele and Moore smiling at each other as they exchanged shirts in utter and complete mutual respect after that brilliant game in the 1970 World Cup Finals is one to cherish.
He died too young.

Always referred to as "Saint Bobby" in our house now after watching a documentary about him in which friends and relations had not a bad word to say about him and kept wiping the tears away on remembering the times they'd spent with him and what he meant to them.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 02 Jul 2010 01:00

Rev Algenon Stickleback H 1) not being able to talk about games without a strong premier/champions league presence in terms of the players out there.
2) not being interested in talking about games without a strong premier/champions league presence in terms of the players out there.
3) not believing the viewing public wants to see them talk about games without a strong premier/champions league presence in terms of the players out there.

Point 3 especially I think. I mean, everybody here watches football all the time and we are all interested in it; the World Cup audience is somewhat different from the 'hard core'. At least in the eyes of the broadcaster.

Is point 1 a symptom of point 3? It shouldn't be, but possibly is.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 02 Jul 2010 13:25

Magnus
Nick Shorey my Lord! Each player when arriving at their 5star hotel room had waiting for them on the bed :-

a blackberry
an xbox

What's the problem with this? Fair enough if they're away from home for a month I'd say.

Yes, as tools to do the job I'm employed to do. They wouldn't leave me a football, an iPod or a PS3. Answers on a postcard for how an xbox will improve an England players performance.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 02 Jul 2010 13:31

Did they have a copy of FIFA '66 for it?

Magnus

by Magnus » 02 Jul 2010 13:35

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Magnus

a blackberry
an xbox

Yes, as tools to do the job I'm employed to do. They wouldn't leave me a football, an iPod or a PS3. Answers on a postcard for how an xbox will improve an England players performance.

Don't see what you're struggling with here.

An xbox will likely keep the players happy, probably also make them less likely to go out on the piss.

You could just lock them in a cell at the end of every game and feed them bread and water but I don't see how this would help their performance. And what does a score of xboxs cost these days anyway? It's peanuts compared to everything else so what's the issue.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 02 Jul 2010 13:36

Nick Shorey my Lord! Apologies if this has already been posted but a little birdy tells me....

a blackberry
an xbox

Sky sports also tok a look at the team hotels a couple of days before the tournament kicked off. England rooms were over £1000 per night whereas, France, Germany and Brazil who were mentioned were all under £100!!!

Magnus

by Magnus » 02 Jul 2010 13:46

How is the FA funded?

324 posts