The Non - League thread

10553 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Non - League thread 2011/12

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Mar 2012 12:52

Four Of Clubs Not sure why the Football club have 'City' in their name now - think they started using it as long ago as 1927 - then went belly up after a merger with Dorking in 74? :?

1937/38 FA Cup - Guildford City 1-0 Reading

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 23 Mar 2012 13:21

TheMaraudingDog With Finchs latest signing a cleansheet looks a dead cert :P

Is that because he fills 90% of the goal?

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 23 Mar 2012 14:48

We'll see tomorrow how much i fill.

If Alexers can score against me from 25 yards in a 5 a side goal then i don't fancy my chances tomorrow!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 23 Mar 2012 14:51

Good luck m8 8)

fender

by fender » 23 Mar 2012 15:39

can't see a post on this anywhere, so if it's a dodd then dodd me, but..
58-0

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 23 Mar 2012 19:55

Forgot - the Berks & Bucks Saturday Intermediate Final is on tomorrow :

15:00 KO Newport Pagnell Town

South Reading vs Bucks CC

also both FA Vase Semi Final 1st legs:

Herne Bay v West Auckland
Dunston UTS v Staveley MW

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 24 Mar 2012 11:07

Four Of Clubs ... minor pendant alert :? - Guernsey in Div One topped the 1000 as they have done at nearly all their home games this season - but who else would you watch on Guernsey?

I've been to most home games this season, and despite how it sounds the fans are mostly old women who barely open their mouths all game. To be fair the club has been really well publicised over here, banners up all around town before the first game, the papers and local news stations went GFC crazy, and we played Bristol City reserves and AFC Wimbledon in preseason. The crowds are only so big because it's our first ever season though, as soon as we get into a division where we don't breeze through most games then the novelty will wear off and we won't be seeing nearly as many fans. And the side who beat Bookham 7-0 were indeed our second side, only 3 GFC regulars played, the rest were in Alderney as you said beating them 7-0 as well. We've got a decent pool of players over here to pick from. Its a really sunny day here today, and I think they're hoping for a record attendance to see us seal the league title. The Guildford City cup match will be a big game too, we actually take a decent away support with us, however I have no idea who has that much commitment/money/time to travel to the mainland every other week for a non-league match, it's quite impressive.

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 24 Mar 2012 16:57

Back from the Guernsey match - over 2,100 fans in the sun, and a 7-1 thrashing of second placed Bedfont Sports. Great game, our top scorer Ross Allen who has 50+ this season only netted in the 90th minute, I believe it was 7 different scorers too.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Mar 2012 17:10

Welcome to the forum GSY.

As a Windsor supporter I look forward to seeing you next season!

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 24 Mar 2012 17:25

A good 4-3 win for Finch.
Two goals conceded were poor defending leaving me with no chance while one was a free kick i got a good hand to and really should have kept out.

Apart from that solid with all the under rated bread and butter stuff keepers have to deal with and i also got a £10 win bonus 8)

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 24 Mar 2012 17:32

Royal Rother Welcome to the forum GSY.

As a Windsor supporter I look forward to seeing you next season!

Thanks very much!

Not been following the Combined Counties Premier, how big is the gulf of quality? I think it was Egham we beat a few weeks ago in the cup, how good are they in comparison to the rest of the league? A fair portion of the fans are expecting us to walk the league next season too, I'm not so sure. Whatever happens, we're just happy to be playing regular football - our neighbours Jersey aren't.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Mar 2012 17:59

Not seen any CCL1 games so I can't comment on the gulf - my impression is it's not huge.

We beat Egham 4-1 at home, and that flattered us slightly, but are yet to play them away.

A number of neutrals (and players who have faced Guernsey this year) predict on the CCL Forum that you will stroll away with the league next season.

We shall see eh?!

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 24 Mar 2012 18:25

Four Of Clubs ... minor pendant alert :? - Guernsey in Div One topped the 1000 as they have done at nearly all their home games this season - but who else would you watch on Guernsey?

Vale Rec, of course.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Mar 2012 22:32

Great win for Basingstoke again. They are giving themselves a chance.

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 25 Mar 2012 09:48

Royal Rother Not seen any CCL1 games so I can't comment on the gulf - my impression is it's not huge.

We beat Egham 4-1 at home, and that flattered us slightly, but are yet to play them away.

A number of neutrals (and players who have faced Guernsey this year) predict on the CCL Forum that you will stroll away with the league next season.

We shall see eh?!

I think the cup game on Friday against Guildford will be the best indicator, they seem to be running away with the title. Either way it will be great to test ourselves at a higher level.

I notice that Windsor are doing well in second - is there only one promotion place?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Mar 2012 10:06

GSY-Royal
Royal Rother Not seen any CCL1 games so I can't comment on the gulf - my impression is it's not huge.

We shall see eh?!

I think the cup game on Friday against Guildford will be the best indicator, they seem to be running away with the title. Either way it will be great to test ourselves at a higher level.

I notice that Windsor are doing well in second - is there only one promotion place?

And to echo RR, welcome to the board :D

I wish that I could be over in Guernsey to see your cup tie with Guildford. Don't expect them to be anything other than physical, argumentative, moaning, play acting or cynical. They are the most disliked club in the CCL and all because of their attitude. If they concentrated more on the football, they would be much more popular.

Gulf between the 1st Division and Premier? The two teams who came up last season have had differing fortunes. Farnham are a poor side and are struggling at the wrong end of the table. South Park were a breath of fresh air and surprised a lot of clubs. Very fit, quick and organised but their season has tailed off since their FA Vase defeat at Whitley Bay. We (Windsor) lost to Spelthorne Sports in the PCL and, quite frankly, they deserved it.

As for promotion from Step 5 to Step 4, you have to take note that there are 14 leagues at Step 5 and only 6 at Step 4. Generally, 1 up and 2 down. There is something like a 1% possibility that the team finishing second will go up this season especially as Guildford are a long way clear and that they have the necessary ground grading. But a lot also depends on what happens in Step 4.

In the CCL Premier, there are, realistically, a handful of clubs with aspirations to move up the leagues. In addition to Windsor, the likes of Egham, Camberley, Molesey and Epsom & Ewell all harbour ambitions. Wembley and Banstead (if they can get a settled team) have also played at higher levels in the past.

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 25 Mar 2012 11:25

Terminal Boardom And to echo RR, welcome to the board :D

I wish that I could be over in Guernsey to see your cup tie with Guildford. Don't expect them to be anything other than physical, argumentative, moaning, play acting or cynical. They are the most disliked club in the CCL and all because of their attitude. If they concentrated more on the football, they would be much more popular.

Gulf between the 1st Division and Premier? The two teams who came up last season have had differing fortunes. Farnham are a poor side and are struggling at the wrong end of the table. South Park were a breath of fresh air and surprised a lot of clubs. Very fit, quick and organised but their season has tailed off since their FA Vase defeat at Whitley Bay. We (Windsor) lost to Spelthorne Sports in the PCL and, quite frankly, they deserved it.

As for promotion from Step 5 to Step 4, you have to take note that there are 14 leagues at Step 5 and only 6 at Step 4. Generally, 1 up and 2 down. There is something like a 1% possibility that the team finishing second will go up this season especially as Guildford are a long way clear and that they have the necessary ground grading. But a lot also depends on what happens in Step 4.

In the CCL Premier, there are, realistically, a handful of clubs with aspirations to move up the leagues. In addition to Windsor, the likes of Egham, Camberley, Molesey and Epsom & Ewell all harbour ambitions. Wembley and Banstead (if they can get a settled team) have also played at higher levels in the past.

Thanks very much!

Hopefully that isn't too much of a problem for us, still not nice to see nonetheless. Bedfont Sports, the second placed team we beat 7-1 yesterday, were much the same; there were 10 minutes of injury time at the end of each half, all from reckless challenges from their players. Hopefully coming to Guernsey will be too much for Guildford, we've won every competitive match this season at home, the only defeat was from fielding an ineligible player who had gotten sent off previously in our domestic league.

It sounds like next season will be a really competitive one, looking forward to it!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Mar 2012 11:42

http://www.windsorfc.net/news/120324b.php

Just how many centre forwards do Windsor need? :shock:

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 26 Mar 2012 15:20

Four Of Clubs Forgot - the Berks & Bucks Saturday Intermediate Final is on tomorrow :

15:00 KO Newport Pagnell Town

South Reading vs Bucks CC

also both FA Vase Semi Final 1st legs:

Herne Bay v West Auckland
Dunston UTS v Staveley MW

Where's Newport Bill :?:

He should be all over this.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 26 Mar 2012 17:04

GSY-Royal Hopefully coming to Guernsey will be too much for Guildford, we've won every competitive match this season at home, the only defeat was from fielding an ineligible player who had gotten sent off previously in our domestic league.

It sounds like next season will be a really competitive one, looking forward to it!

Results from the w/e

Saturday 24th March

CONFS
Boreham Wood 6-1 Eastleigh
Bromley 1-1 Farnborough
Chelmsford 0-1 Basingstoke
Dorchester 1-0 Dartford
Dover 0-4 Staines Town
Eastbourne Borough 2-1 Woking
Havant and W 1-1 Tonbridge Angels
Maidenhead Utd 0-1 Salisbury
Truro City 3-0 Thurrock
Welling 0-0 Sutton Utd
Weston-S-Mare 1-2 Hampton & Richmond

ISTH1S
Godalming Town 1-2 Walton & Hersham

SOUTHP
Swindon Supermarine 0-6 Chesham United
SOUTH1C
Ashford Town (Middx) 1-2 Slough Town
Aylesbury 2-1 Fleet Town
Beaconsfield SYCOB 0-0 Rugby Town
Biggleswade Town 3-0 AFC Hayes
Burnham 0-0 Bedworth United
Daventry Town 1-1 Chalfont St. Peter
Marlow 2-1 Chertsey Town
St. Neots Town 3-0 Bedfont Town
Uxbridge 2-1 Woodford United
SOUTH1S&W
Abingdon United 0-2 Yate Town
Didcot Town 1-0 Paulton Rovers
Mangotsfield United 1-0 Hungerford Town
Tiverton Town 1-1 Thatcham Town

CCLP
Camberley Town 4-1 Sandhurst Town
Chessington & Hook United 4-3 Banstead Athletic
Colliers Wood United 0-0 Wembley
Croydon 2-3 South Park
Dorking 0-2 Horley Town
Farnham Town 0-3 Guildford City
Hanworth Villa 3-0 Mole Valley SCR
Raynes Park Vale 2-1 Egham Town
Windsor 4-0 Badshot Lea
CCL1
Cobham 0-0 Bookham
Feltham 4-2 Spelthorne Sports
Frimley Green 2-2 Farleigh Rovers
Guernsey 7-1 Bedfont Sports – emphatic way to seal the title - as stated crowd over 2,000 –
A good indicator of next season’s potential perhaps, is the League Cup Semi-Final this coming Friday when Guildford City, runaway leaders of the Premier, are the visitors. Not sure quite how much the Cup means to them though – I’d hope the occasion would warrant them sending a full strength squad?
I suspect ‘The Green Army’ might need to address their occasional non-availability issues – though in Div One its hardly been any problem at all? They’ll have to consider that the Premier fixture list will involve them in at least eight more league fixtures so potentially a few more tricky away games midweek?
I don’t think there is much to choose between the bottom two-thirds of the CCL Premier and the top half of Div One – not that I’ve seen all that much of either division this season. There’ll also be a fair few ‘whipping boys’ about - as there were for Guernsey this season – witness a couple of double-figure wins in the top division: which really shouldn’t be happening at STEP05.

Oh and a minor 'pendantic' 8) point in response to something G.Royal wrote in the quote above – only mention it cos it ruffled my Anorak Lining :wink: – Guernsey have lost a proper league game at home THIS season : 2-3 to Eversley – though there was a disproportionate amount of bleating on CCL Fans Focus about this reverse: probably in response to a few 'longer-toothed' CCL fans taking the p!ss! I suspect the Windsor lads have come up against the same 'crew' ! :mrgreen:
... besides - Its barely made a mark on their otherwise superb record.

Knaphill 2-0 CB Hounslow United
South Kilburn 1-1 Staines Lammas
Warlingham 3-3 Eversley
Lemon Recordings Division One Challenge Cup – 3rd Round
Westfield 1-0 Hartley Wintney

HELLP
Ardley United 0-1 Binfield - minor shock
Ascot United 1-1 Wokingham & Emmbrook att 123
Bracknell Town 1-4 Shortwood United
Cheltenham Saracens 1-3 Abingdon Town
Fairford Town 0-1 Witney Town - not the result Bracknell would have wanted
Henley Town 4-3 Holyport
Kidlington 1-1 Slimbridge
Reading Town 3-1 Flackwell Heath
Shrivenham 1-1 Wantage Town

HELL1E
Finchampstead 4-3 Letcombe
Highmoor Ibis 2-2 Lambourn Sports - not the time to start dropping points - was described elsewhere by a hopper as a dire match - Newbury are closing in again with games in hand W6-0 away on Sat at a Hungerford reserve side. Few queries being raised as to whether they'll be at Palmer Pk next season or need to groundshare somewhere else should they go up- can't see there being room at Scours though?

WESSP
Alton Town 1-3 Laverstock & Ford
Winchester City 0-0 Horndean
WESS1
Andover New Street 1-0 Stockbridge
Pewsey Vale 2-1 East Cowes Victoria
Tadley Calleva 0-0 Ringwood Town
Whitchurch United 1-0 Fleet Spurs

… and finally …

B&B Sat Intermediate Final at Newport Pagnell FC
Bucks CC 1-3 South Reading

B&B Sun Intermediate Final at Abingdon Utd
Britannia Utd (Aylesbury) 3-1 FC Whitley (aet FT 1-1)

10553 posts