by URZZ » 11 Jan 2013 10:48

Gary Jacob ‏@garyjacob
'Reading in for Stephen Kelly'

18k followers +

Wouldn't surprise me...

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

Re: Reading FC poised to make major signing

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 11 Jan 2013 11:10

I heard paul holsgrove might be making a come back for the royals.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 11 Jan 2013 11:22

Heard we're tempting Ade Akinbyi out of retirement

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 11 Jan 2013 11:24

Phil Parkinson coming in for a 5 year player/manager role.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 11 Jan 2013 11:33

DOYLERSAROYALER ROYALS boss Brian McDermott is on the verge of signing an established Premier League player - but denies it is Danny Welbeck or Tom Huddlestone.

Manchester United striker Welbeck and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Huddlestone have both been linked with the Royals this week as McDermott continues his January rebuilding process.

However, the Reading manager has ruled out possible moves for the pair, while confirming talks have opened with a rival Premier League club over the transfer of a well-known player.

McDermott was keeping his cards close to his chest yesterday (Wednesday) regarding the identity of their main transfer target having already signed Crawley Town's Hope Akpan and Sporting Lisbon captain Daniel Caricco in the past week.

But he did confirm that discussions with a Premier League club have reached an advanced stage - although the chances of completing a deal before Saturday's home clash with West Bromwich Albion appear to be slim.

Speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, McDermott said: "We're still looking to bring in another player as soon as possible.

"The player has Premier League experience, but to bring players in with such experience in January is always tough.

"We're talking to a Premier League club right now and the process is ongoing. It would be a permanent deal rather than a loan and maybe we can get it done this week, but Saturday might be too soon."

And he scotched rumours suggesting Welbeck and Huddlestone could be heading to the Madejski Stadium.

"Danny Welbeck is a top, top player and he's involved with Manchester United, who won't be letting him go. As for Tom Huddlestone, he played for Spurs last weekend and he'll be staying there.

"But we are moving things forward with a view to making another signing."

Well-known Premier League players including Chelsea winger Yossi Benayoun and Stoke City's Wilson Palacios have been linked with Royals in recent months.

Rumours are also emerging of interest in Fulham duo Steve Sidwell and Chris Baird.

Sidwell, 30, was a fans' favourite at Reading between 2003-07 scoring 30 goals from midfield in 187 appearances before joining Chelsea on a free transfer.

But is unlikely Royals owner Anton Zingarevich will be loosening his grip on the purse strings before this month's transfer window closes.

"We're trying to build on all the good things we've already got at this club," stressed McDermott. "I've never had a budget to splash big money and buy

£8 million players in my three years as manager here and, until I'm told otherwise, we just have to get on with it.

"I do the very best I can with what I've got. I had to do that in the summer and it's never been any different here. It's not frustrating, it's just how it is."

And he added: "We've also had to sell top, top players like Shane Long, Kevin Doyle and Gylfi Sigurdsson in recent years.

"But I never moan about it when the chairman tells me we need to sell a player for financial reasons. I'm fine with that.

"We can only do our best with the players we've got and that will always continue.

"Despite all that, we're now competing at the highest level which is something everyone can be proud o
f."

Sorry, but we are not exactly competing at this level. Saying we are "making up the numbers" is probably the nicest way of putting it.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 11 Jan 2013 11:45

TBM Its Arshavin

You spelt Akinfenwa wrong.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 11 Jan 2013 11:45

Big Ern
DOYLERSAROYALER ROYALS boss Brian McDermott is on the verge of signing an established Premier League player - but denies it is Danny Welbeck or Tom Huddlestone.

Manchester United striker Welbeck and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Huddlestone have both been linked with the Royals this week as McDermott continues his January rebuilding process.

However, the Reading manager has ruled out possible moves for the pair, while confirming talks have opened with a rival Premier League club over the transfer of a well-known player.

McDermott was keeping his cards close to his chest yesterday (Wednesday) regarding the identity of their main transfer target having already signed Crawley Town's Hope Akpan and Sporting Lisbon captain Daniel Caricco in the past week.

But he did confirm that discussions with a Premier League club have reached an advanced stage - although the chances of completing a deal before Saturday's home clash with West Bromwich Albion appear to be slim.

Speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, McDermott said: "We're still looking to bring in another player as soon as possible.

"The player has Premier League experience, but to bring players in with such experience in January is always tough.

"We're talking to a Premier League club right now and the process is ongoing. It would be a permanent deal rather than a loan and maybe we can get it done this week, but Saturday might be too soon."

And he scotched rumours suggesting Welbeck and Huddlestone could be heading to the Madejski Stadium.

"Danny Welbeck is a top, top player and he's involved with Manchester United, who won't be letting him go. As for Tom Huddlestone, he played for Spurs last weekend and he'll be staying there.

"But we are moving things forward with a view to making another signing."

Well-known Premier League players including Chelsea winger Yossi Benayoun and Stoke City's Wilson Palacios have been linked with Royals in recent months.

Rumours are also emerging of interest in Fulham duo Steve Sidwell and Chris Baird.

Sidwell, 30, was a fans' favourite at Reading between 2003-07 scoring 30 goals from midfield in 187 appearances before joining Chelsea on a free transfer.

But is unlikely Royals owner Anton Zingarevich will be loosening his grip on the purse strings before this month's transfer window closes.

"We're trying to build on all the good things we've already got at this club," stressed McDermott. "I've never had a budget to splash big money and buy

£8 million players in my three years as manager here and, until I'm told otherwise, we just have to get on with it.

"I do the very best I can with what I've got. I had to do that in the summer and it's never been any different here. It's not frustrating, it's just how it is."

And he added: "We've also had to sell top, top players like Shane Long, Kevin Doyle and Gylfi Sigurdsson in recent years.

"But I never moan about it when the chairman tells me we need to sell a player for financial reasons. I'm fine with that.

"We can only do our best with the players we've got and that will always continue.

"Despite all that, we're now competing at the highest level which is something everyone can be proud o
f."

Sorry, but we are not exactly competing at this level. Saying we are "making up the numbers" is probably the nicest way of putting it.

+1

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 11 Jan 2013 11:53

super darren caskey Its gonna lead to disappointment i can see it coming

It's the Reading Way.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 11 Jan 2013 11:54

madreadingfan Just gonna put this here...

Freelance journalist ‏@indykaila
Reading fans I will have transfer update later. I think you be pleased #RFC

He also tweets that Rooney has been left out of the squad to face liverpool.

Out of Favor eh?

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 11 Jan 2013 11:55

Fergie announced in a press conference this morning that Rooney wasn't fit for Sunday, so this is hardly a ground breaking piece of freelance reporting.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 11 Jan 2013 11:58

in the history of HNA :?: , I don't think i have ever read a thread with more spasticated comments than this one, whether it be people suggesting players that are clearly not going to choose a club that is on a par with Wigan in its size, and obviously going down, or people desperately trying to be funny with suggestions of old and shit players.

Please lock it and start again Mods.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 11 Jan 2013 12:05

Focher in the history of HNA :?: , I don't think i have ever read a thread with more spasticated comments than this one, whether it be people suggesting players that are clearly not going to choose a club that is on a par with Wigan in its size, and obviously going down, or people desperately trying to be funny with suggestions of old and shit players.

This makes me happy.

bustertimberlake

by bustertimberlake » 11 Jan 2013 12:09

So, we're sponsored by Waitorse but prefer to shop in Lidl appears to be the analagy :cry:

noelgallagher

by noelgallagher » 11 Jan 2013 12:09

Focher in the history of HNA :?: , I don't think i have ever read a thread with more spasticated comments than this one, whether it be people suggesting players that are clearly not going to choose a club that is on a par with Wigan in its size, and obviously going down, or people desperately trying to be funny with suggestions of old and shit players.

They will display this thread in the history museum in 50 years time to show how far the human brain has come since the early dawn of man.

Kids will be able to buy a book with all the comments from the gift shop. It will be laid out like the God damn Bayeux Tapestry.

noelgallagher

by noelgallagher » 11 Jan 2013 12:10

bustertimberlake So, we're sponsored by Waitorse but prefer to shop in Lidl appears to be the analagy :cry:

Waitorse?

On your way son.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 11 Jan 2013 12:12

noelgallagher
bustertimberlake So, we're sponsored by Waitorse but prefer to shop in Lidl appears to be the analagy :cry:

Waitorse?

On your way son.

But analagy was ok was it?

noelgallagher

by noelgallagher » 11 Jan 2013 12:13

MouldyRoyal
noelgallagher

Waitorse?

On your way son.

But analagy was ok was it?

Lets not be too harsh on the boy. He's on his lunch break at school.

He'll learn.

bennno

by bennno » 11 Jan 2013 12:16

MouldyRoyal Fergie announced in a press conference this morning that Rooney wasn't fit for Sunday, so this is hardly a ground breaking piece of freelance reporting.

As per photo only slightly unfit, what a coup for Reading to get Rooney signed.....

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 11 Jan 2013 12:17

So disappointed :cry: Now understand one of two things:

1. Focher is no longer the 'Go to' man for new players who want properties in the more salubrious parts of Whitley, guess we will have to forget the re-naming of Stavvy Road for a while.

2. This thread is complete b*ll*cks and no new Premier League player is expected to come.

354 posts