Gylfi Sigurdsson

1194 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Feb 2013 13:03

sandman August transfer window - fans complain about a lack of ambition and that the club don't try to make big money signings. January transfer window - club tell fans they tried to make big money signing of fan favourite ex-player, fans still complain. They really can't win with you people!

You people?

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 01 Feb 2013 13:09

Seems a little odd for us to have offered all that money for anyone, even Gylfi. Needless to say his return would have been absolutely what we are after, despite his trouble at WHL.

A few Spurs fans seem to be suggesting that we would probably have got him, if we'd made that offer a little earlier in the window.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Feb 2013 13:13

DOYLERSAROYALER Hammond v Levy....only ever one winner ..... Chewed up and spat out comes to mind ....

Indeed. If Levy thought he could play hardball with Hammond and squeeze an extra pile of wedge for a player we know Spurs don't really want, he soon learned that we are not going to be bullied by anyone, TDD or not.

I assume that's what you meant, yes?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Feb 2013 13:13

floyd__streete
winchester_royal Yes, Sigurdsson would have been a marquee signing. :|

Oh, I see.....it's a virtual marquee? Presumably hired for our virtual Survival Party.

:|

I was merely pointing out the ridiculous nature of SPARTA's argument that we couldn't possibly have bid for Sig given we only spent 300k on Akpan.

Don't join a conversation half way through if you don't understand the context, there's a good lad.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Feb 2013 13:17

winchester_royal
floyd__streete
winchester_royal Yes, Sigurdsson would have been a marquee signing. :|

Oh, I see.....it's a virtual marquee? Presumably hired for our virtual Survival Party.

:|

I was merely pointing out the ridiculous nature of SPARTA's argument that we couldn't possibly have bid for Sig given we only spent 300k on Akpan.

Don't join a conversation half way through if you don't understand the context, there's a good lad.

:| yourself, because while that point is indeed ridiculous yours is fairly irrelevant.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Feb 2013 13:19

floyd__streete :| yourself, because while that point is indeed ridiculous yours is fairly irrelevant.

I wasn't trying to make a point, just highlighting how ridiculous someone else's point was.

Thrilling stuff this.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 01 Feb 2013 13:24

For the moaners who about everything.

Tokyo Sex Whale Haha, smoke screen part deux.

Placate fans unrest after no decent signings in window by pulling on heart strings with fake bid nonsense.

This.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Feb 2013 13:38

I see floyd's in full-time "look at me" mode today. Think I'll give the board a miss today.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 01 Feb 2013 13:46

It's not the same without Gylfi.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2013 13:58

Arch I see floyd's in full-time "look at me" mode today. Think I'll give the board a miss today.

My sentiments exactly. :|

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 01 Feb 2013 14:12

I must say I'm surprised we bid for him, and hearing how much too. Was a fantastic player for us, and would fill a perfect role but 10m seems pretty steep for a player who's market value is surely 7-8m tops. I think we'll be just fine without him... and if not we have cunningly built a kick ass championship level squad for next season :wink:

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 01 Feb 2013 14:18

Fair play to Anton for going for it but I don't get why to do it so late. Clubs don't just go "You know what we should do with that £10mil over there? We should try and buy Gylfi back" a few days before deadline.

Someone must have known this money was about which gives them no excuse to why they didn't place a bid in mid-January and allow Spurs enough time to sign someone else with the cash. This is of course assuming someone did know about it - the only way they wouldn't have done is if Anton had to ask Daddy first i guess

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2013 14:29

tomrfcurz Fair play to Anton for going for it but I don't get why to do it so late.

Perhaps because it was part of a chain, it emerged Spurs were getting someone in and therefore Sig might be available? Didn't happen, hence he wasn't.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 01 Feb 2013 14:30

maffff
tomrfcurz Fair play to Anton for going for it but I don't get why to do it so late.

Perhaps because it was part of a chain, it emerged Spurs were getting someone in and therefore Sig might be available? Didn't happen, hence he wasn't.

Possibly, but the fact they haven't ruled out going back for him in the Summer (i assume subject to survival) indicates otherwise.

Guess we'll never know

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 01 Feb 2013 14:37

jd82

In my ignorance, I'm not sure how the 'Loan' thing works, at different times of the Season. Is it possible for The Sig to come in on a 'Loan To Purchase' deal during the remainder of the Season?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2013 14:40

No loans for Premier League teams outside of the transfer window.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 01 Feb 2013 14:48

maffff No loans for Premier League teams outside of the transfer window.

Thanks....... and we'll just have to wait. However, ... works in mysterious ways. Could be that by the end of Season we won't be looking for an ACM, 'cos HOPE will have already cemented himself into the position, .....and RFC into the PREM!!!!!

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 01 Feb 2013 14:57

maffff

If Spurs had brought in Leandro, I think they may well have let him go. Although apparently AVB has apparently re-affirmed his faith in Gylfi during his press conference this morning.

I would also have been interested to see how open to a return Gylfi himself would have been.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2013 15:02

Royal Bahamas ... works in mysterious ways. Could be that by the end of Season we won't be looking for an ACM, 'cos HOPE will have already cemented himself into the position, .....and RFC into the PREM!!!!!

....yes.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2013 15:02

Blakey's Right Peg I would also have been interested to see how open to a return Gylfi himself would have been.

He would.

1194 posts