RUMOUR - Robert Beric

674 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Robert Beric

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2015 20:13

I'm sure you could think off hundreds of players worse than Pog if you tried.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Aug 2015 20:13

He's got quite good control, is strong and holds the ball up well before releasing it to bring midfield forward.

On the downside he's slow so he's then never going to catch up with the attack that's gone past him. He receives the ball extremely badly above chest height. He likes to fall over like he's been shot for no reason and he barely spends any time in the penalty area (because he comes wide or deep to link play and is so slow). Even when he is in the penalty area he's not a fox in the box.

Stick a decent forward or two with pace and finishing ability alongside him and he'd be a reasonable asset.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Aug 2015 20:15

Ian Royal He's got quite good control, is strong and holds the ball up well before releasing it to bring midfield forward.

On the downside he can't score goals

Corrected for you

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2015 20:15

And some of the above are the result of him not being used properly (due to lack of options).

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Aug 2015 21:41

Royality creeps In I have never seen a more useless, cumbersome lump play for Reading (I have been watching since 1971 by the way)

Even people who've only been watching since 2011 have seen Manset and Yakubu. Go back to 2001 and you've got Henderson, Owusu, Savage, Obinna, and Rasiak, just for cumbersome strikers.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Aug 2015 21:42

SCIAG
Royality creeps In I have never seen a more useless, cumbersome lump play for Reading (I have been watching since 1971 by the way)

Even people who've only been watching since 2011 have seen Manset and Yakubu. Go back to 2001 and you've got Henderson, Owusu, Savage, Obinna, and Rasiak, just for cumbersome strikers.

Senior was cumbersome but knew where the goal was

Pigrebnyak doesn't

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 07 Aug 2015 21:53

Nameless And some of the above are the result of him not being used properly (due to lack of options).

Skuse the French

OH DO FKUC OFF.

I bet Clarke cannot wait to dump the waste of space. He is only using him in the pre season friendlies because he is the best of a poor bunch
For the money he is on, coupled with the ratio of goals and work rate he has to be up there in one of our worst ever signings

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Aug 2015 22:07

Royality creeps In
Nameless And some of the above are the result of him not being used properly (due to lack of options).

Skuse the French

OH DO FKUC OFF.

I bet Clarke cannot wait to dump the waste of space. He is only using him in the pre season friendlies because he is the best of a poor bunch
For the money he is on, coupled with the ratio of goals and work rate he has to be up there in one of our worst ever signings

Unnecessary and a ludicrous assertion. A discussion talked to death on other threads which generally end up with a rough consensus that if he wasn't paid so much he'd not have the criticism. Decent footballer. This thread is supposed to be about Robert Beric.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2015 22:56

There's not too much to be said about Beric right now though.

Although I agree the Pog debate has been pretty much done to death already.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 08 Aug 2015 07:17

Nameless There's not too much to be said about Beric right now though.

Although I agree the Pog debate has been pretty much done to death already.

Then I probably shouldn't add another opinion ...
Opposition fans / neutrals always seem to rate "the big blonde lad, that number 7, he looks quality"

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Aug 2015 11:02

Pog doesn't score goals. If you aren't able to do that as a striker, your pretty worthless imo

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Aug 2015 11:13

was just doing my Fantasy team for this year and saw Lewis Grabban's name. Doubt he'll get much game time in the Premier League - surely a decent loan or even a cheapish permanent signing

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2015 12:11

Extended-Phenotype Pog doesn't score goals. If you aren't able to do that as a striker, your pretty worthless imo

Not if you're helping someone else score them

See Emile Heskey and Noel Hunt as examples. Of course Pog isn't really doing that either.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Aug 2015 15:23

3points was just doing my Fantasy team for this year and saw Lewis Grabban's name. Doubt he'll get much game time in the Premier League - surely a decent loan or even a cheapish permanent signing

Starting today.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Aug 2015 19:43

Wycombe Royal
3points was just doing my Fantasy team for this year and saw Lewis Grabban's name. Doubt he'll get much game time in the Premier League - surely a decent loan or even a cheapish permanent signing

Starting today.

well, I got that wrong! :)
Maybe Hooper, Jerome or Van Wolfwinkel instead?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 09 Aug 2015 19:39

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype Pog doesn't score goals. If you aren't able to do that as a striker, your pretty worthless imo

Not if you're helping someone else score them. Of course Pog isn't really doing that either.

Exactly. He's a waste of space and thats it. Even if he was on normal money I'd still be saying he's shit get him out of the team.

And yes he probably is our worst ever signing.

jproyals97

by jproyals97 » 10 Aug 2015 13:19

RoyallyFcuked
Ian Royal

Not if you're helping someone else score them. Of course Pog isn't really doing that either.

Exactly. He's a waste of space and thats it. Even if he was on normal money I'd still be saying he's shit get him out of the team.

And yes he probably is our worst ever signing.

You're going a little extreme here pal, okay he doesn't score the goals that a "prolific" striker should, but look at his contributions elsewhere and you can see what does make him a little more worth his money, i.e wins free kicks, improving dribbling wise, holding the ball up better, and above all an unquestionable workrate. Also, that being said, nobody from our strikeforce (bar murray when we had him briefly) was by your definition "good" seemingly, and Pog was probably our best striker performance wise, so please explain how he is our "worst signing ever"?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Aug 2015 14:26

I think Pavel will play better this year, as he will be looking for a new club in the summer.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 10 Aug 2015 21:44

jproyals97 You're going a little extreme here pal, okay he doesn't score the goals that a "prolific" striker should, but look at his contributions elsewhere and you can see what does make him a little more worth his money, i.e wins free kicks, improving dribbling wise, holding the ball up better, and above all an unquestionable workrate. Also, that being said, nobody from our strikeforce (bar murray when we had him briefly) was by your definition "good" seemingly, and Pog was probably our best striker performance wise, so please explain how he is our "worst signing ever"?

But whenever I see him play I see very little contributions elsewhere. He doesn't score goals, he can't dribble, he's slow and usually has a crap first touch. It's also a myth that he holds the ball up well and that he works hard. Sure if you count him trying to win a header and falling on his arse or miscontrolling a fairly simple pass or occasionally attempting to dribble and losing the ball as working hard? He doesn't even move around that much how is he working hard?

Pog is not a finisher and he is not a creator. I compared him to Murray because Murray is a target man, the same job that Pog tries to do but fails. He is our worst signing in terms of the amount of money we have spent on him (huge signing on fee and wages for 4 years) and how little return he has given us.

Maybe as he is in the last year of his contract he will do better this season. Honestly I would like it if he did and he proved me wrong, but I won't hold my breath.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Aug 2015 21:53

That's a terrible analysis.
For one thing both Fae and Halford were much, much worse signings if you want to invent some kind of artificial value for money measurement. At least we did manage to recover the fees we spent on them !

674 posts