Clarke to sunderland?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Clarke to sunderland?

by Only one Trevor Morley » 02 Oct 2015 20:35

According to Fordham, Sunderland are interested in Clarke as Dirk is off after tomorrows game.....

That would not be good timing. Hope we go for Mick McCarthy if he does go.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Clarke to sunderland?

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Oct 2015 20:41

Hmm, chance to build on what he's started or jump ship to a shower of shit that he can't do anything about until January. That's so last season for him.

Can't see Sunderland holding any attraction to him whatsoever.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 02 Oct 2015 21:00

I was thinking about this earlier today, not Sunderland tapping him up but Clarke attracting attention from other clubs and I came to the conclusion that SC is making Reading his home. The owners have allowed him to manage, he knows that if he's in a good position come January he'll be backed again in the window by healthy owners and he'll be able to bring more talent in. Our academy is producing and I think Clarke has found his level and huge job satisfaction. If we do get promoted then I think he'll get the resources that would put us all in dreamland. Can't see him leaving for a job like Sunderland. But not wanting to take him for granted, I would love us all to sing his name loud tomorrow.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 02 Oct 2015 21:18

I hope you're right. However Sunderland always seems to tempt managers although I never know why!

RustyRoyal

by RustyRoyal » 02 Oct 2015 22:30

Sunderland look nailed on to go down, we look likely to be challenging for promotion. Can't see him taking the risk as I think it's more likely we'll be in a higher division than vice-versa next season.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 03 Oct 2015 00:16

People trying to kid themselves here. If Sunderland are interested then I am sure SC will be. Very rarely has a championship manager turned down the chance to go to the Prem. SC will probably feel confident in his abilities to keep them up and it is very early in the season so he has plenty of time to do so.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Oct 2015 00:26

Big Ern People trying to kid themselves here. If Sunderland are interested then I am sure SC will be. Very rarely has a championship manager turned down the chance to go to the Prem. SC will probably feel confident in his abilities to keep them up and it is very early in the season so he has plenty of time to do so.

He's proved little in his managerial career so far. He inherited a team at WBA and then got sacked.

This is his chance to build a team and his reputation as a successful manager. Then again he could get relegated with Sunderland. The Southend job will probably come up in a couple of years.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2015 01:45

Big Ern People trying to kid themselves here. If Sunderland are interested then I am sure SC will be. Very rarely has a championship manager turned down the chance to go to the Prem. SC will probably feel confident in his abilities to keep them up and it is very early in the season so he has plenty of time to do so.

Though, generally, this might be true, Sunderland have been doomed for a while now. That ship has surely sailed?

I don't mean this season. I mean they have been living on the edge for too long and are coming down. I don't believe any manager who is competitive in the championship, especially one wanting a big plus on his cv, would be daft enough to go there.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Oct 2015 04:49

I haven't read any of the posts so not sure if it's been mentioned, but one of the main reasons SC was attracted to us in the first place was the fact he already lived pretty locally. I don't see him keen on moving to the other end of the country, not least because he's finally built his own team here, we're doing well, and Sunderland are shit.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 03 Oct 2015 07:14

Is there a section for complete and utter bo***cks.....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2015 07:38

percy_freeman Is there a section for complete and utter bo***cks.....

I think that's called "Anything Else"

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Oct 2015 08:33

Wahey :!: :D

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Oct 2015 10:08

Terrible time for anyone to go to Sunderland. Stuck with a bunch of under performing players for 3 months by which time they will probably be well adrift.
You'd be surprised if a manager who has just been allowed to assemble his 'dream team' and is likely to continue getting backing from ambitious owners would be interested in a jump to a team in huge decline, but stranger things happen.
I'd file under 'this is highly unlikely and is a baseless rumour'

old woman

by old woman » 03 Oct 2015 10:20

Only one Trevor Morley According to Fordham, Sunderland are interested in Clarke as Dirk is off after tomorrows game.....

Mick McCarthy!!!!

Sure he's a nice bloke but no thanks.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 03 Oct 2015 10:22

old woman
Only one Trevor Morley According to Fordham, Sunderland are interested in Clarke as Dirk is off after tomorrows game.....

Mick McCarthy!!!!

Sure he's a nice bloke but no thanks.

I'm not even sure he's a 'nice bloke'! So -no thanks too.

JIM

by JIM » 03 Oct 2015 10:44

This topic is as bad as Pulis recommending PARDEW for ENGLAND manager,

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 03 Oct 2015 10:57

Oilroyal I was thinking about this earlier today, not Sunderland tapping him up but Clarke attracting attention from other clubs and I came to the conclusion that SC is making Reading his home. The owners have allowed him to manage, he knows that if he's in a good position come January he'll be backed again in the window by healthy owners and he'll be able to bring more talent in. Our academy is producing and I think Clarke has found his level and huge job satisfaction. If we do get promoted then I think he'll get the resources that would put us all in dreamland. Can't see him leaving for a job like Sunderland. But not wanting to take him for granted, I would love us all to sing his name loud tomorrow.

This + 1 .... Also he lives nearby, it's a great position for Steve and something he has successfully started to build with the backing to go further too. Where else could you get a similar opportunity nowadays?.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Oct 2015 12:38

JIM This topic is as bad as Pulis recommending PARDEW for ENGLAND manager,

Would be a good manager for England. He's turned around a smaller club side in Palace so why not a smaller nation like England?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Oct 2015 09:42

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2015 11:33

Personally I think it would be a terrible move likely to end in failure and a decline in long term career prospects, but managers seem to play the short term game as much as players and he'd earn nicely while there, then get a good payout when they're relegated and sack him.

He's got very little managerial success on his CV to shout about and has a good chance of getting a promotion under his belt rather than a relegation. File under bad idea, probably won't happen, but outside possibility of insanity.

Should really be a managerial change window introduced. Some of the decisions are bafflingly reactionary and short-termist.