January Window

401 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: January Window

by Hound » 02 Jan 2022 12:43

Guess some of it depends on what pressure there is from the efl to sell players

Maybe we need to consider any suitable bid. If not, we prob want to be keeping hold of swift and Holmes - unless someone like Leeds do panic and send 3-4m our way for swift

Frustrating we haven’t got Holmes to extend yet

Fine with Araruna going. Quite liked him but 15 months out or whatever - not really what we need now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2022 12:55

We've got cover for Swift going if we can get people fit. Don’t think you can say the same for Holmes given his ability to play RB and Yiadom possibly being off to ACON.

And we know there's no chance of re-signing Swift, which isn't so much the case with Holmes.

But yeah, financial pressure makes it a question rather than an easy dismissal.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jan 2022 14:07

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
morganb Reading have rejected two bids from Nottingham Forest for Tom Holmes , with the second believed to be in the region of £750,000.

[@jonathanl50] #readingfc https://t.co/IWJoLrjnex

You'd think Forest would be a bit more cautious with us after Blackett.

If we're letting Araruna leave, we cannot let Holmes leave unless we have a replacement lined up. Especially with ACON and Yiadom's injury record.

Not to mention McIntyre, Morro and co all out.

Isn't that bid just a rehash from the summer?

+1
From what I can see it’s factually accurate … for six months ago

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2022 15:24

Can't trust half of you lot to link anything accurate. :roll:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jan 2022 21:04

Definitely need 2/3 players that can be consistently available now for ourselves between now and the end of the season. A full back, a creative midfielder/wide player perhaps who can impact games and another forward. Get Rafael and Puscas out, Araruna can fill in a lot of positions, I'd hold him until his contract is up personally.

Someone like James Garner in midfield who be helpful just as another option in that area and suits our style of play, although I am not sure if he is somewhere else. There are plenty of young players at PL clubs who would relish game time as well as fringe options at lower PL clubs who would want the same for half a season, there are options but it's tough given our situation.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2022 11:09

YorkshireRoyal99 Definitely need 2/3 players that can be consistently available now for ourselves between now and the end of the season. A full back, a creative midfielder/wide player perhaps who can impact games and another forward. Get Rafael and Puscas out, Araruna can fill in a lot of positions, I'd hold him until his contract is up personally.

Someone like James Garner in midfield who be helpful just as another option in that area and suits our style of play, although I am not sure if he is somewhere else. There are plenty of young players at PL clubs who would relish game time as well as fringe options at lower PL clubs who would want the same for half a season, there are options but it's tough given our situation.

Garner is a regular at Forest currently but if we do move someone on I would not be against a good youngster coming in, as long as they are a definite upgrade on our own.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2022 11:20

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 Definitely need 2/3 players that can be consistently available now for ourselves between now and the end of the season. A full back, a creative midfielder/wide player perhaps who can impact games and another forward. Get Rafael and Puscas out, Araruna can fill in a lot of positions, I'd hold him until his contract is up personally.

Garner is a regular at Forest currently but if we do move someone on I would not be against a good youngster coming in, as long as they are a definite upgrade on our own.

I didn't realise he went back to Forest but either way, somebody of that calibre and style would probably suit our midfield right now. There are plenty of youngsters wanting game time, Balogun at Arsenal would be a great coup to bring in a striker that we desperately need although there will be a lot of competition for his signature. As long we don't bring in somebody like Virginia again from Everton.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 04 Jan 2022 21:57

£750k for any first teamers is a joke, and more than likely a test to see how financially desperate we are.

Holmes is worth at least £2m at this stage of his career. He'll keep improving.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Jan 2022 09:02

PATRIQT £750k for any first teamers is a joke, and more than likely a test to see how financially desperate we are.

Not if his performance versus Derby is anything to go by.
The two most memorable incidents being the attempt to intercept an easy through ball with the wrong foot and the ball skewing directly to the oncoming Derby midfield and the failure to challenge for the second goal.

HOWEVER, he shouldn’t be judged on one performance

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jan 2022 09:07

Franchise FC
PATRIQT £750k for any first teamers is a joke, and more than likely a test to see how financially desperate we are.

Not if his performance versus Derby is anything to go by.
The two most memorable incidents being the attempt to intercept an easy through ball with the wrong foot and the ball skewing directly to the oncoming Derby midfield and the failure to challenge for the second goal.

HOWEVER, he shouldn’t be judged on one performance

Plus, he is currently out of contract in June. No-one is going to pay 2m for him. A club will know if he is interested in moving there, even if officially they wont be - so they may see benefit in offering a relatively small fee to get him now or wait til the summer to get him for close to nowt given we would be due a compensation payment.

As it stands, this feels like a rehash. The interest in summer was under a different manager, still possible Cooper would want him as well but not sure Holmes is as suited to the way Cooper plays as the way Hughton did.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Jan 2022 10:18

I can't see anybody paying over the odds for Holmes which £2m would be considering his contract runs out in 6 months time and they'd only have to agree a nominal compensation fee.

As much as I don't think he's as suited to Cooper's style as he was Hughton's, I get the feeling's Forest's recruitment goes a bit deeper than who is in charge of the club and I believe they will be looking at young, talented players in order to build a team the fans can be more excited about and can organically grow with the club. I think they managed to bring in Barnsley's Director of Football (or some title similar to that) who was responsible for bringing in many of their players last season when they pushed to the play offs. They've probably come in for Holmes again as they believe he is a player that fits their criteria. Laurent was also linked as well, but that seems to have faded.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Jan 2022 11:21

YorkshireRoyal99 I can't see anybody paying over the odds for Holmes which £2m would be considering his contract runs out in 6 months time and they'd only have to agree a nominal compensation fee.

As much as I don't think he's as suited to Cooper's style as he was Hughton's, I get the feeling's Forest's recruitment goes a bit deeper than who is in charge of the club and I believe they will be looking at young, talented players in order to build a team the fans can be more excited about and can organically grow with the club. I think they managed to bring in Barnsley's Director of Football (or some title similar to that) who was responsible for bringing in many of their players last season when they pushed to the play offs. They've probably come in for Holmes again as they believe he is a player that fits their criteria. Laurent was also linked as well, but that seems to have faded.

Forest have signed Steve Cook from B’muff so the Holmes story may be receding

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jan 2022 09:37

Read a couple of rumours last night that Bristol City's Kasey Palmer is on our list or targets if John Swift was to leave the club this window.

An inconsistent player, I wouldn't mind him as a player in our squad but not be to replacing our talisman.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Jan 2022 11:03

Spaculation but, Rose been told he's free to leave Watford, considering we're now short at LB, a potential option on loan?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jan 2022 11:03

His wages must be sky high surely? If we can agree to get him in for the rest of the season without paying a penny then yes, if not then I wouldn't bother.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Jan 2022 11:08

YorkshireRoyal99 His wages must be sky high surely? If we can agree to get him in for the rest of the season without paying a penny then yes, if not then I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, had the same thoughts but we managed to get Drinkwater and Rahman in despite their wages so who knows?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2022 11:13

YorkshireRoyal99 Read a couple of rumours last night that Bristol City's Kasey Palmer is on our list or targets if John Swift was to leave the club this window.

An inconsistent player, I wouldn't mind him as a player in our squad but not be to replacing our talisman.

yeah saw this but can't see how any deal would be done. We can't pay a fee, and I expect his wages are higher than 8.5k. Unless Bristol were desperate to get rid and no other takers (which doesn't seem to be the case)

Slight lolz at how shit he has been for them. 3.5m, chunky wages no doubts (set 20k p/w), and made about 30 starts in 3.5 years for them. Reading levels of incompetence there

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jan 2022 11:23

Depends how willing Watford are with Rose really. TDB's wages won't be that high, so we are probably paying most of those but I can imagine Rose's will be £50k, or around that area. If we can only offer about £7k (or whatever our limit is per player) would they take a hit on that? I'm not so sure.

Yeah Bristol City have been stung pretty badly for Palmer. If he was a free agent this summer and would agree to a wage that we could offer, yes I'd take him as he'd be a good option for us and I'm sure he would be willing to play football. He's a decent player and I would take him, just maybe not in this situation.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2022 12:45

Rose is an absolute loon with the IQ of a sparrow isn’t he?

Just what we need.

High cost, career spiralling down hill. Avoid at all costs.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 06 Jan 2022 13:16

tidus_mi2 Spaculation but, Rose been told he's free to leave Watford, considering we're now short at LB, a potential option on loan?

We can only give Carroll £1000 a week - a League 1 wage. Rose will have plenty of Championship admirers.

401 posts