Re: January transfer window 2023

by PATRIQT » 30 Dec 2022 10:22

Fezza What I want to happen:

1) contracts for Carroll and Mbengue
2) sell Puscas to Genoa
3) sell Ejaria to anyone for any amount
4) if an offer comes in for any of the following sell… Moore, Joao or Holmes
5) loans for Azeez and Tetek

If spaces open up in the squad stay as we are until out of EFL control.

What I expect to happen…

1) offers made to Carroll and Mbengue, both sign in short term deals.
Nowt else.

^ This.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2022 10:27

Why would we sell Holmes? He’s been decent this season

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 30 Dec 2022 10:41

Sorry Hound , but I don’t think he’s good enough . Not even close !

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2022 10:47

Hound Why would we sell Holmes? He’s been decent this season

Definitely not in January but, if he keeps going as he has been and given his age, I think it's inevitable he will eventually move on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2022 11:02

YorkshireRoyal99

Definitely not in January but, if he keeps going as he has been and given his age, I think it's inevitable he will eventually move on.

If it’s on basically our terms, that’s fine and good luck to him. Doubt that will be in Jan though, unless it’s at the back end of the window and we’re safe and stuck in mid table

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Dec 2022 12:00

blythspartan Mbengue - He’s still very raw but I’d take a punt at a cheap price.

Didn't he come to us as a free agent and was on trial before we signed him on a short-term contract?

If so, the only 'price' would be any signing on fee that he/his agent feels able to ask for and that won't be a lot.

Definitely worth offering whatever contract EFL will permit IMO.

Fezza

by Fezza » 30 Dec 2022 12:19

Because he has value and we’re in the poo

Fezza

by Fezza » 30 Dec 2022 12:24

Fezza

Moore and Joao because they’re leaving for free at the end of the season and we have options in their positions.

Ejaria because he’s going the way of Ravel Morrison and Drenthe in terms of attitude and wasted potential.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Dec 2022 12:26

RoyalBlue
blythspartan Mbengue - He’s still very raw but I’d take a punt at a cheap price.

Didn't he come to us as a free agent and was on trial before we signed him on a short-term contract?

If so, the only 'price' would be any signing on fee that he/his agent feels able to ask for and that won't be a lot.

Yes, he was a free agent when he came to us. By cheap price, I just meant low wages on something like a 2 year deal. Personally, I think he’s had a couple of great games for us and looks to be pretty versatile. He’s still raw but he has bags of potential.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2022 13:11

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

If it’s on basically our terms, that’s fine and good luck to him. Doubt that will be in Jan though, unless it’s at the back end of the window and we’re safe and stuck in mid table

Yeah I can't see it happening this window unless someone is willing to pay a stupid price for him, which would probably end up being Olise's price really.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Dec 2022 14:03

blythspartan
RoyalBlue

Yes, he was a free agent when he came to us. By cheap price, I just meant low wages on something like a 2 year deal. Personally, I think he’s had a couple of great games for us and looks to be pretty versatile. He’s still raw but he has bags of potential.

Why would he accept a low wage 2 year deal ?
I would have thought most likely would be we extend his deal to the end of the season, or we offer him a deal on proper wages for 2-3 years. He’ll be thinking he’s doing enough to get a better paid contract with another club in the summer rather than tie himself to us on a pittance. Fair chance someone else will come in anyway and offer him a bit more money.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Dec 2022 14:24

Is Baba on a season long loan or can we offload him next month?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2022 14:30

Fezza
Fezza

Moore and Joao because they’re leaving for free at the end of the season and we have options in their positions.

Ejaria because he’s going the way of Ravel Morrison and Drenthe in terms of attitude and wasted potential.

Moore Joao and Ejaria I wouldn’t be upset with leaving too much

We’re not really ‘in the poo’. We’ve close to a clean slate for next season. Selling Holmes won’t make a difference really for this season - if we want to cash in, hold on to the summer when we can use any money his transfer generates

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2022 15:00

Nameless
blythspartan
RoyalBlue

Why would he accept a low wage 2 year deal ?
I would have thought most likely would be we extend his deal to the end of the season, or we offer him a deal on proper wages for 2-3 years. He’ll be thinking he’s doing enough to get a better paid contract with another club in the summer rather than tie himself to us on a pittance. Fair chance someone else will come in anyway and offer him a bit more money.

Obviously we don't know the situation or what he's earning, but I can't imagine he's going to get more than £5k a week at any other club at this stage. Now that might be more than we can or are willing to offer, but he isn't going to be a top Championship earner no matter where he goes I don't think anyway. I think that's what the original comment meant, not just that we'd offer him a low wage, but that he would be a low earner anyway.

It would make sense to only offer him what we can until the end of the season and then look to improve his deal come the end of the season, but I can't see him earning more than £5k a week at any club at this level.

yuomi

by yuomi » 30 Dec 2022 20:22

windermereROYAL Is Baba on a season long loan or can we offload him next month?

Unless there are complicated financials I think we could send him back. We won't though, and as bad as he's been we shouldn't as we're desperately short at LB.

Off topic, but saw Newport County cancelled Thierry Nevers loan yesterday after 1 goal in 12 games...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jan 2023 19:11

Easily our best CB this season.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 01 Jan 2023 21:33

I keep reading what a good CB Holmes has become . Well maybe it’s time to state what I see with him .He has been a regular CB for the past 2 seasons . I expect a CB to command the central areas of his own half , but particularly his own penalty area . Where are we weak , and what goals do we concede , ——- headers in our penalty area . I think that he knows he is suspect in this department , that’s why he always attempts to wrestle forwards in the box , I don’t see him heading away crosses . Last season it was always Morrison doing this .
Players run off him in the box because he ball watches . His tackling is seldom clean , it’s more a case of ‘ I ‘ll look as if I’m going for the ball , but I’ll take the man if not ‘ We know he is slow and somewhat clumsy .( not very mobile)
Now , I will agree he had a better game than usual against Norwich . I saw 2 very good tackles and 3 times in the second half he passed the ball forward ( another criticism I have is that he is reluctant to take the responsibility of passing forward ) .
I will leave it there for now and expect a thorough kicking from the rest of you .

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 01 Jan 2023 21:39

I forgot to list his strong points . ——- He is always committed to the cause , and tries his best , gives his all .

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jan 2023 00:53

yuomi
windermereROYAL Is Baba on a season long loan or can we offload him next month?

Unless there are complicated financials I think we could send him back. We won't though, and as bad as he's been we shouldn't as we're desperately short at LB.

Off topic, but saw Newport County cancelled Thierry Nevers loan yesterday after 1 goal in 12 games...

As someone who didn’t particularly rate Rahman last season (and seemingly in the minority with that), think we’re a bit guilty of going overboard with the criticism this season. Don’t think he’s been particularly bad (can’t recall him being majorly at fault for many goals for example), but just distinctly average

Not performing vastly different to how he was last season but the current formation emphasises his weaknesses more. He isn’t an inventive, attacking or direct player so it’s questionable as to why he’s being asked to effectively do all the attacking himself down one side (especially as Ince drifts over to the right most of the game)

You only have to look at NGW on Friday to look at the impact of direct running at the opposition defence. It doesn’t make Rahman a worse player that he isn’t able to do that, it’s simply mis-utilisation from management, misalignment of his skill set. Actually think in a similar vein to Yiadom, he could do a job as a third CB as he’s OK at out and out defending

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2023 11:58

Once upon a time . I keep reading what a good CB Holmes has become . Well maybe it’s time to state what I see with him .He has been a regular CB for the past 2 seasons . I expect a CB to command the central areas of his own half , but particularly his own penalty area . Where are we weak , and what goals do we concede , ——- headers in our penalty area . I think that he knows he is suspect in this department , that’s why he always attempts to wrestle forwards in the box , I don’t see him heading away crosses . Last season it was always Morrison doing this .
Players run off him in the box because he ball watches . His tackling is seldom clean , it’s more a case of ‘ I ‘ll look as if I’m going for the ball , but I’ll take the man if not ‘ We know he is slow and somewhat clumsy .( not very mobile)
Now , I will agree he had a better game than usual against Norwich . I saw 2 very good tackles and 3 times in the second half he passed the ball forward ( another criticism I have is that he is reluctant to take the responsibility of passing forward ) .
I will leave it there for now and expect a thorough kicking from the rest of you .

We were even worse at defending our own box so I think it's a bit of a stretch to say Morrison was always doing this, or even implying that Morrison was significantly better as I don't think he was/is.

I'll agree he isn't the quickest and can be a bit rash, but Ince himself has praised this because it shows he's not a "nice guy" and has a bit more bite than bark. It's easy to list the fouls he makes, but not pick up on the times where he does step in, win the ball and break the attack up, which is far more frequent now I'd say. He plays like quite an old fashioned defender, likes to get stuck in, not messing around it and is always combative. If he can keep going how he is and improving his game with the ball by trying to play through the thirds, then he will be on the radar of clubs above our level for sure. Still plenty of room to improve no doubt, but think it's a harsh analysis.

313 posts