Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Jul 2023 22:17

Joao is a luxury player.

When he can be bothered he’s quality and for L1 he would tear defences apart, but as said above, when/if he can be bothered which isn’t very often.

If he stayed for a low salary great but even then we are rebuilding and if he sulks and stinks the place out then I’d rather not.

It’s all academic anyway he will want out and I’d like to think the club are moving on too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2023 22:18

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal Thankfully bs but if true would ask to refund my st. Sorry not sorry.

If he wants to play L1 football for £4k a week I'd welcome him with open arms.

Even off his day he should shit all over L1 defences.

And we're building a team that might be able to play some football for once.

Seems to be a bit of a memory issue on him round here.

87(29) appearances, 42 goals, 15 assists.

You’ve always been Joaos biggest apologist. Yeah he scores goals when he can be arsed but it’s too few and far between. 7 goals last time out was poor. Unless he scores he offers nothing. Not a team player and exactly the type of player we should be avoiding. Like I said, good thing it’s BS.

1 in 2 starts and better than 1 in 3 total isn't few and far between. :|

Too many people drinking the lazy koolaid.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 25 Jul 2023 00:35

blythspartan
Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal I think it's worth remembering that in that time our midfield has also been consistently shit offering little protection.

Plus Holmes spent much of 20/21 at RB, not CB, and McIntyre has bounced around in and out of the team at CB, LB, LWB and DM.

They struggle when they're run at on the break, or balls are slid past them into the channels behind an often awol fullback, or with movement in the box when someone peels off and no one else picks them up when they try to maintain shape.

They certainly have their flaws. They're both slow. Holmes is too handsy in the box. But I still think they're both good defenders.

Forgot Holmes came in at right-back initially.

The players around them will make a big impact, having Hutch (or similar) as protection would help our defence this season. We do need a settled side for once, which will aid with understanding between players.

As you say, pace is their biggest weakness - which can't be massively improved. Holmes does need to keep his hands off players in the box; I'm not sure why defenders grab attackers, as you're asking for trouble.

I was critical of them yesterday, but tbf to both of them they have been part of a very poor team for the last few years. Due to the transfer embargo and injuries to Dann, Moore and Sarr etc. they’ve become first team regulars out of necessity.

They have both proved to be good defenders in the Championship at times but I don’t think they’ve received the right coaching, which hasn’t helped their development. I hope with a much better midfield in front of them and another CB to help out they’ll both have good seasons in League One. A winning mentality will also give them a much needed boost.

I think Tom McIntyre is better in defensive midfield from what I saw of him last season, gets the tackles in, decent pass and can go forward on a run when space allows. Suffering from jack of all trades IMO

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 25 Jul 2023 07:38

Someone on Twitter claiming Amos and Dean are signing today, plus maybe some more news about Fiorini. It could be true, or a load of bollox.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jul 2023 08:00

blythspartan Someone on Twitter claiming Amos and Dean are signing today, plus maybe some more news about Fiorini. It could be true, or a load of bollox.

When it comes from a random account rather than a known account then take it with a large pinch of salt - if they are both still around the training ground, however, I would hope they sign soon or both sides have made it clear it will happen else would soon be a waste of everyone's time.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 25 Jul 2023 08:17

Stranded
blythspartan Someone on Twitter claiming Amos and Dean are signing today, plus maybe some more news about Fiorini. It could be true, or a load of bollox.

When it comes from a random account rather than a known account then take it with a large pinch of salt - if they are both still around the training ground, however, I would hope they sign soon or both sides have made it clear it will happen else would soon be a waste of everyone's time.

I'd hope they both sign, especially Amos given he's been here for a number of weeks now. The fact we've got players training with us means they'd be happy to sign for us (obviously contract depending).

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 25 Jul 2023 08:32

Do we really need to hear about every rumour from nobody gobshites on "X"?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jul 2023 08:33

Clyde1998
Stranded

I'd hope they both sign, especially Amos given he's been here for a number of weeks now. The fact we've got players training with us means they'd be happy to sign for us (obviously contract depending).

With our facilities, if you are looking at playing L1 next year and there is interest from us we would probably make is a highly desirable club to join even with the well documented issues of recent years - in fact, if we are truly over the hump with those issues, it is probably a very exciting time to join as a player as the rebuild begins.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jul 2023 08:34

Orion1871 Do we really need to hear about every rumour from nobody gobshites on "X"?

That is what this part of the forum is for at the end of the day - some gobshites will actually be right but you take everything with a pinch of salt.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 25 Jul 2023 08:36

I think we need a tier list for rumours like they have on Reddit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jul 2023 08:39

Stranded
Orion1871 Do we really need to hear about every rumour from nobody gobshites on "X"?

That is what this part of the forum is for at the end of the day - some gobshites will actually be right but you take everything with a pinch of salt.

I thought that was the point of this thread - just for info for people who don’t want to use Twitter etc

Rather that than all the separate threads anyway

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jul 2023 08:41

"Why don't more people post on the forum?"

"Why are you posting things on the forum???"

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 25 Jul 2023 08:48

I don't know. It's just hearing every day that "Jaseding1871" has seen someone who looks vaguely like Tom Rogic shopping at the Sainsburys near the training ground gets a bit wearing after a while.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jul 2023 08:50

Who are you to doubt Jaseding? He is a serious professional.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 25 Jul 2023 08:57

NathStPaul Who are you to doubt Jaseding? He is a serious professional.

Next you'll be saying DD is sane, rational, and honest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jul 2023 09:35

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal If he wants to play L1 football for £4k a week I'd welcome him with open arms.

Even off his day he should shit all over L1 defences.

And we're building a team that might be able to play some football for once.

Seems to be a bit of a memory issue on him round here.

87(29) appearances, 42 goals, 15 assists.

You’ve always been Joaos biggest apologist. Yeah he scores goals when he can be arsed but it’s too few and far between. 7 goals last time out was poor. Unless he scores he offers nothing. Not a team player and exactly the type of player we should be avoiding. Like I said, good thing it’s BS.

1 in 2 starts and better than 1 in 3 total isn't few and far between. :|

Too many people drinking the lazy koolaid.

Joao apparently in talks with Shanghai Port about a move there according to A Bola - a Portugese football website.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jul 2023 10:49

E-Bola more like.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jul 2023 21:04

fred sharpes nose
blythspartan
Clyde1998 Forgot Holmes came in at right-back initially.

The players around them will make a big impact, having Hutch (or similar) as protection would help our defence this season. We do need a settled side for once, which will aid with understanding between players.

As you say, pace is their biggest weakness - which can't be massively improved. Holmes does need to keep his hands off players in the box; I'm not sure why defenders grab attackers, as you're asking for trouble.

I was critical of them yesterday, but tbf to both of them they have been part of a very poor team for the last few years. Due to the transfer embargo and injuries to Dann, Moore and Sarr etc. they’ve become first team regulars out of necessity.

They have both proved to be good defenders in the Championship at times but I don’t think they’ve received the right coaching, which hasn’t helped their development. I hope with a much better midfield in front of them and another CB to help out they’ll both have good seasons in League One. A winning mentality will also give them a much needed boost.

I think Tom McIntyre is better in defensive midfield from what I saw of him last season, gets the tackles in, decent pass and can go forward on a run when space allows. Suffering from jack of all trades IMO

And I think Holmes is better at right back but here we go, our two senior centre backs.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Jul 2023 22:58

Orion1871 I think we need a tier list for rumours like they have on Reddit.

No, Reddit is awful

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Jul 2023 23:00

Hound
Stranded

I thought that was the point of this thread - just for info for people who don’t want to use Twitter etc

Rather that than all the separate threads anyway

Exactly it’s called transfer speculation

If you only want 100% guaranteed transfers just look at the OS

1360 posts