New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by NathStPaul » 10 May 2023 16:34

Sutekh
tidus_mi2 If we got Chris Wilder it would probably be the best and most sensible appointment we've made in about a decade.

Since Sir Steve probably.

Dunno, at the time I think Adkins was a sensible appointment with a view to the long term. Didn't work out tremendously well but I think he was certainly the right sort.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 May 2023 16:36

NathStPaul
Sutekh
tidus_mi2 If we got Chris Wilder it would probably be the best and most sensible appointment we've made in about a decade.

Dunno, at the time I think Adkins was a sensible appointment with a view to the long term. Didn't work out tremendously well but I think he was certainly the right sort.

Yeah, I would agree with NA. Seemed to rub a lot of people up the wrong way with what he said, but I had absolutely no problems with him. Was a previous success at Saints, so looked a decent appointment on paper. Think his hands were tied quite severely as well.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 10 May 2023 16:37

Royal_jimmy I hope it's true but unless newspapers start saying that then I won't believe it

I too, would like it to be true. But I won't believe it until it is announced by the club. Newspapers will repeat rumours and make them appear to be facts.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 May 2023 16:37

The Royal Forester
Royal_jimmy I hope it's true but unless newspapers start saying that then I won't believe it

I too, would like it to be true. But I won't believe it until it is announced by the club. Newspapers will repeat rumours and make them appear to be facts.

He is currently 1/3 with the bookies. Not sure if you'd heard that.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 10 May 2023 16:44

NathStPaul
The Royal Forester

He is currently 1/3 with the bookies. Not sure if you'd heard that.

I did read that on here somewhere. I also read somewhere that the bookies him have favourite to take over at some Scottish club. As good as he is I don't think he could do both jobs though.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 10 May 2023 17:51

Betting odds count for nothing. They change based on where people put their money

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 May 2023 21:04

Sutekh

Clarke?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 10 May 2023 21:19

Think people are getting a bit carried away here. He’s only been weakly linked and don’t even know if he wants to come.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2023 22:26

Wilder is the best manager we could hope for. He's got a good record across the leagues, a lot of experience, a fairly high profile and name recognition. And he's good.

He's the antithesis of our apointments for years. He would be a great pick.

So I'm telling myself to be absolutely certain he won’t be our manager. Because anyone other than him can only be a let down when it isn't him.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 11 May 2023 05:50

SCIAG
Sutekh

Clarke?

Yup, he was a good appointment but got signed as we stepped off the precipice that lead to where we are now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2023 08:38

Royal Ginger
SCIAG
Sutekh

Clarke?

Yup, he was a good appointment but got signed as we stepped off the precipice that lead to where we are now.

Clarke was rubbish made to look good by someone temporarily replacing Nick Blackman with a simulacrum that was actually good at football.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2023 09:02

Labelling Clarke as rubbish is a bit of a stretch, think he has proven he is a good manager. Decent record with us, Kilmarnock and Scotland.

He is most certainly a snakey oxf*rd but not rubbish imo.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2023 10:10

Yeah I wouldn't say Clarke was rubbish, it all just went to pot after the Fulham debacle.

One thing is for sure, we've had a lot worse than him since.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 11 May 2023 10:11

Thinking back on the post-Madejski managerial appointments, the general trend seems to be towards them becoming a less good, or even strange, choice.

Adkins and Clarke both made sense, and were a decent pick from who was available. McDermott v2 didn't work out, but felt like it was worth a shot at the time.

Then on to Stam. His second season was a disaster, but his first season was an unexpected success.

Clement... meh. It could have been OK, but there's a sense here that he's a "treading water" appointment.

Gomes. WTF. Nice guy, but what about his CV suggested he'd be a success? It was an odd seeming appointment at the time, and utterly crazy with hindight.

Bowen. Surprisingly decent, but like Clement, perhaps not the best option available.

Paunovic. Not quite as out of the blue as Gomes, but still an odd choice.

Ince. Clearly highly unexpected and was nowhere near the top of most people's guess at who would be a good manager.

It's not a linear decline. Bowen was an upgrade on Gomes. Stam did better than Clement. But, over time the trend seems to be for the appointments to feel less like "hmm, decent choice, he could be OK" and more like "why did they pick him?"
Last edited by ReadingGlasses on 11 May 2023 10:13, edited 2 times in total.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 May 2023 10:11

ridiculous statement to say Clarke was rubbish :roll:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 May 2023 10:16

YorkshireRoyal99 Yeah I wouldn't say Clarke was rubbish, it all just went to pot after the Fulham debacle.

Would agree he he’s a decent manager but was he really the best available at the time? Seem to recall he was in the door almost as soon as Adkins was leaving the car park which doesn’t exactly suggest too much “due diligence” by the club in looking for a successor. Seems they just went for the nearest out of work manager (he was living in Ascot I think) at the time rather than weighing up the market to make sure you were giving the club the best shot.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2023 10:19

YorkshireRoyal99 Yeah I wouldn't say Clarke was rubbish, it all just went to pot after the Fulham debacle.

Yep, agreed with this.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2023 10:41

Sutekh

Would agree he he’s a decent manager but was he really the best available at the time? Seem to recall he was in the door almost as soon as Adkins was leaving the car park which doesn’t exactly suggest too much “due diligence” by the club in looking for a successor. Seems they just went for the nearest out of work manager (he was living in Ascot I think) at the time rather than weighing up the market to make sure you were giving the club the best shot.

I don't know whether he was the best available at the time, I can't remember who else was available. What I would argue against is that, if he was in the door almost immediately after Adkins left, then you could say the club had targeted Clarke and held various discussions about taking over before Adkins left, knowing that it would happen. Not something I necessarily agree with, but obviously you hear about it happening (Watford in recent times have been known for this).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2023 12:34

NathStPaul Labelling Clarke as rubbish is a bit of a stretch, think he has proven he is a good manager. Decent record with us, Kilmarnock and Scotland.

He is most certainly a snakey oxf*rd but not rubbish imo.

Scotland doesn’t count. Even Burns had a good record in Scotland.

It's where shit managers go to have an easy time.

Didn’t really improve us when taking over from Adkins. Started the next season well because of Blackman. Fell to shit as soon as Blackman stopped performing, then oxf*rd about with Fulham.

If he was good he'd have left Scotland for a decent club.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 11 May 2023 12:45

Snowflake Royal If he was good he'd have left Scotland for a decent club.

He's manager of the national team until 2026... He'll end up back in the Championship, or at Celtic/Rangers when that job ends.

768 posts