Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
Linden Jones' Tash

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by Linden Jones' Tash » 29 Aug 2023 20:30

morganb Daily Telegraph reports -

Reading striker Andy Carroll in talks over a move to French club Amiens SC. The former England international, 34, at the Ligue 2 club to conclude the deal

https://twitter.com/mcgrathmike/status/ ... fEIZA&s=19

Amen....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2023 22:48

Would have been annoyed at this at the start of the summer, now I’d bite your hand off. It’s a shame he couldn’t be more but he looks a long way off the desired level and doesn’t fit Selles’ style.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2023 07:23

Love Rino, and his busy style, energy and direct running would fit the style. We are lacking something in midfield.

But we've already got a lot of midfielders and could really use a striker.

We also need another LB if we're going to refuse to use NGW as Carson is not (yet) the all conquering messiah people thought he was after one cup game and some preseason.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Aug 2023 07:36

Snowflake Royal Love Rino, and his busy style, energy and direct running would fit the style. We are lacking something in midfield.

But we've already got a lot of midfielders and could really use a striker.

We also need another LB if we're going to refuse to use NGW as Carson is not (yet) the all conquering messiah people thought he was after one cup game and some preseason.

I agree with the above and I thought Carson was the next messiah, but he’s not quite ready yet. I just hope if we were to sign Rino he can stay fit.

I really hope that we can find a mobile striker like Stansfield as that could be massive in terms of how our season goes.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2023 07:54

Selles last night:

We can have some situations. We are working on a couple of players that can join us and let’s see if we have a player going out. I don’t expect a big, massive change, but there are a couple of moments to do.

So depends on how you want to take that - 2 will hopefully join regardless but might do more if a couple leave.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2023 08:07

Stranded Selles last night:

We can have some situations. We are working on a couple of players that can join us and let’s see if we have a player going out. I don’t expect a big, massive change, but there are a couple of moments to do.

So depends on how you want to take that - 2 will hopefully join regardless but might do more if a couple leave.

Well let's hope he puts whoever of NGW, Holmes and Carroll aren’t going anywhere to use once the window is closed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2023 08:38

Snowflake Royal
Stranded Selles last night:

Well let's hope he puts whoever of NGW, Holmes and Carroll aren’t going anywhere to use once the window is closed.

One would hope that if a player doesn't leave they will be reintegrated with the squad.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Aug 2023 08:40

Not sure I'd necessarily want Rino back personally, although the step down might do him some good as it hasn't really worked at Cardiff for him.

Carroll I'd be pretty happy to see the back of, although we'd most certainly need another forward in at that point as well, possibly 2.

Another LB would be good as well and hopefully we can move on NGW and Holmes if they are surplus to requirements as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2023 08:46

YorkshireRoyal99 Not sure I'd necessarily want Rino back personally, although the step down might do him some good as it hasn't really worked at Cardiff for him.

Carroll I'd be pretty happy to see the back of, although we'd most certainly need another forward in at that point as well, possibly 2.

Another LB would be good as well and hopefully we can move on NGW and Holmes if they are surplus to requirements as well.

If Carroll does go then I would want Wareham and one more striker coming in, poss a loan. LB and one more midfielder, ideally a slightly more experienced one, not necessarily Rinohmota but would be happy with that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2023 08:49

Do feel Selles is making a mistake with NGW. Not that he’s a great defender either but we do look short at LB

Holmes is prob 5th or 6th choice so not a lot of point him staying around.

Do worry about our current reliance on Kelvin E - be interesting to see who we have lined up - guessing it’ll be another young player from somewhere

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Aug 2023 08:55

No to Rino. Craig played well last night, so we're well stocked in that position even if Hutchinson and Wing are the only 2 with experience.

Carroll, NGW and Bouzanis out (possibly Holmes but only for a good fee). Another striker, LB and Perreira in. That's all we need.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Aug 2023 08:57

Hound Do feel Selles is making a mistake with NGW. Not that he’s a great defender either but we do look short at LB

Do worry about our current reliance on Kelvin E - be interesting to see who we have lined up - guessing it’ll be another young player from somewhere

The reliance on Kelvin E is partially a result of the Smith injury. We're already managing an injury to our 1st choice in that position. One more option is definitely enough given Smith will be back in a month.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2023 09:01

WestYorksRoyal
Hound Do feel Selles is making a mistake with NGW. Not that he’s a great defender either but we do look short at LB

The reliance on Kelvin E is partially a result of the Smith injury. We're already managing an injury to our 1st choice in that position. One more option is definitely enough given Smith will be back in a month.

With Carroll likely off, is 1 really enough? We would be left with Smith, KE and Vickers as our striking options - one more leaves us very bare if any of them go down with an injury and we want to be managing Vickers game time better. Arguably, if Azeez gets his confidence back in front of goal he becomes that 5th option but feel we would be 1 light if we just replace Carroll.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Aug 2023 09:29

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

With Carroll likely off, is 1 really enough? We would be left with Smith, KE and Vickers as our striking options - one more leaves us very bare if any of them go down with an injury and we want to be managing Vickers game time better. Arguably, if Azeez gets his confidence back in front of goal he becomes that 5th option but feel we would be 1 light if we just replace Carroll.

I meant 1 more. So Smith, Kelvin E, Vickers + A.N.Other, after which we can get creative with players out of position or alternative formations if required.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2023 11:00

Fair enough - well, I hope that we sign Wareham regardless, seems to have earned a deal but wouldn't surprise me if we look to bring in some on loan - someone Selles will know, like Dom Ballard.

Scored 6 in 3 in PL2 this year and made his PL debut in the last couple of PL games under Selles.

Fezza

by Fezza » 30 Aug 2023 11:12

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal The reliance on Kelvin E is partially a result of the Smith injury. We're already managing an injury to our 1st choice in that position. One more option is definitely enough given Smith will be back in a month.

I meant 1 more. So Smith, Kelvin E, Vickers + A.N.Other, after which we can get creative with players out of position or alternative formations if required.

How far is Clarke away from fitness? If fit surely he comes into the picture?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Aug 2023 12:45

Fezza
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

How far is Clarke away from fitness? If fit surely he comes into the picture?

I'm not wholly convinced on Clarke at the moment, I think others have shone more in his position both in the first team and in the U21's. I know he had a bad injury at FGR and might have done something there, but I don't think he's someone to be relying on at the moment. Think he needs some game time in the U21's or out on loan so that Wareham continues to get minutes and we should look to bring someone else in.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2023 13:31

Rumour on Twitter, not from a particularly credible account, linking us to a move for Dane Scarlett on loan from Spurs.

Had a relatively underwhelming loan at Pompey last season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Aug 2023 14:00

Stranded Rumour on Twitter, not from a particularly credible account, linking us to a move for Dane Scarlett on loan from Spurs.

Both he and the one you mentioned earlier from Saints are definitely on the radar.
Incidentally I gather that Carroll's contract has been cancelled by mutual agreement making the signing of another striker a priority IMHO.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2023 14:07

South Coast Royal
Stranded Rumour on Twitter, not from a particularly credible account, linking us to a move for Dane Scarlett on loan from Spurs.

Both he and the one you mentioned earlier from Saints are definitely on the radar.
Incidentally I gather that Carroll's contract has been cancelled by mutual agreement making the signing of another striker a priority IMHO.

Interesting* - assume the latter point will be confirmed/announced shortly or they are just waiting on him signing for Amiens/AN Other club and will just report it as a transfer.

1360 posts