New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by SCIAG » 11 May 2023 12:55

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99 Yeah I wouldn't say Clarke was rubbish, it all just went to pot after the Fulham debacle.

One thing is for sure, we've had a lot worse than him since.

Would agree he he’s a decent manager but was he really the best available at the time?.

IMO yes. Got West Brom to 8th despite Odemwingie going on strike. Sacked with them in 16th the next season and they went on to finish 17th. Was a real coup at the club at the time.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 May 2023 14:34

Remember when Al-Habsi threw one in the net to get him sacked

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2023 14:59

Yep, QPR on a Tuesday night IIRC. 0-1

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 May 2023 15:36

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul Labelling Clarke as rubbish is a bit of a stretch, think he has proven he is a good manager. Decent record with us, Kilmarnock and Scotland.

He is most certainly a snakey oxf*rd but not rubbish imo.

Scotland doesn’t count. Even Burns had a good record in Scotland.

It's where shit managers go to have an easy time.

Didn’t really improve us when taking over from Adkins. Started the next season well because of Blackman. Fell to shit as soon as Blackman stopped performing, then oxf*rd about with Fulham.

If he was good he'd have left Scotland for a decent club.

“Because of Blackman”. Did Clarke hit a purple patch because of Blackman or did Blackman hit a purple patch because of Clarke?

IMO, mainly the latter given Blackman’s struggles elsewhere (subsequently at Derby too)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 May 2023 15:39

Hendo Yep, QPR on a Tuesday night IIRC. 0-1

Was a Thursday night - one of those random TV selections

Strange one that season. Never seen a team capitulate as much as those 11 minutes against Fulham. Quinn was a big miss through injury that season, massively underrated player - Piazon (whilst being OK), just wasn’t the same

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2023 15:40

URZZZZ

Strange one that season. Never seen a team capitulate as much as those 11 minutes against Fulham. Quinn was a big miss through injury that season, massively underrated player - Piazon (whilst being OK), just wasn’t the same

Ah! Knew it was a night game, couldn't remember it being on TV though.

Agreed about the rest of the post.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2023 08:04

Hendo
URZZZZ

Yeah a terrible game and think they scored from a corner didn’t they?

Quinn was quality. Remember Ferdinand being similar - looked a lot better when he was fit, which was quite rare

Obviously a lower level but noted Quinn has played 40 games this season for Mansfield at tbe age of 37. Think we all thought he’d retire through injury when he left us

Went from looking brilliant that season to awful in a couple of weeks

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 May 2023 08:56

Hound
Hendo
URZZZZ

Quinn was quality. Remember Ferdinand being similar - looked a lot better when he was fit, which was quite rare

Obviously a lower level but noted Quinn has played 40 games this season for Mansfield at tbe age of 37. Think we all thought he’d retire through injury when he left us

Yeah, I think it was a pretty poor event that had 0-0 written all over it, until AAH decided to throw it in.

Quinn was brilliant. Same with McShane as well - was imperious for a while, then bang, one season later, fell off a cliff.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 May 2023 09:00

Hendo
Hound
Hendo

Yeah, I think it was a pretty poor event that had 0-0 written all over it, until AAH decided to throw it in.

Quinn was brilliant. Same with McShane as well - was imperious for a while, then bang, one season later, fell off a cliff.

It is a shame McShane ruined his legacy completely with his antics at Stevenage. Had he dealt with that tough period in the right way I am pretty sure he would be spoken of very highly by 99% of our supporters.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 May 2023 09:20

I’m thinking that the Reading manager short list will be Chris Wilder, Nathan Jones, Mark Hughes, Richie Wellens, John O’Shea and possibly that unknown bloke from off the continent.

So no Neil Warnock, Michael Duff, Danny Cowley, Stephen Gerrard, Brendan, Frank or random leftfield choice like Joey Barton, Jonathan Woodgate, Martin Allen or Roy Hodgson.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 May 2023 09:41

Hendo
URZZZZ

It’s Reading QPR, course it was on TV!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 May 2023 09:43

NathStPaul
Hendo
Hound

It is a shame McShane ruined his legacy completely with his antics at Stevenage. Had he dealt with that tough period in the right way I am pretty sure he would be spoken of very highly by 99% of our supporters.

Don’t think he ruined his legacy at all. Each to their own but if you can give it, you should be able to take it

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 May 2023 09:45

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
Hendo

Don’t think he ruined his legacy at all. Each to their own but if you can give it, you should be able to take it

The club captain shouldn't behave like that, he wasn't just another player.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 May 2023 11:45

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul It is a shame McShane ruined his legacy completely with his antics at Stevenage. Had he dealt with that tough period in the right way I am pretty sure he would be spoken of very highly by 99% of our supporters.

The club captain shouldn't behave like that, he wasn't just another player.

Not for me. Each to their own but being club captain doesn’t make you immune to making mistakes (both on and off the pitch)

Wore his heart on his sleeve and I think they’re the sort of characters we’ve lacked. Yiadom, nice guy clearly, club captain material? Not sure

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2023 11:47

Hutchinson reminds me of that sort of player, it's a shame we haven't had him on the pitch much after that point.

I think McShane started losing his place after giving 2 penalties away at Blackburn, although that may have been just under Clement rather than any managers that followed.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 May 2023 11:50

YorkshireRoyal99 Hutchinson reminds me of that sort of player, it's a shame we haven't had him on the pitch much after that point.

I think McShane started losing his place after giving 2 penalties away at Blackburn, although that may have been just under Clement rather than any managers that followed.

Yeah that was a shocker of a performance from McShane at Blackburn. Should've won that game comfortably.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 May 2023 11:50

YorkshireRoyal99 Hutchinson reminds me of that sort of player, it's a shame we haven't had him on the pitch much after that point.

Absolutely, if Hutchinson had stayed fit I don't think we'd have been close to relegation this season. Then we lost Tom Ince who was central to most of our goals since he was the only one really capable of decent set pieces that we were so reliant on, Azeez, maybe but not on Ince's level yet.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2023 17:30

Saw that O Shea has left his coaching job at Stoke to concentrate on ROI

Forgot he was at Stoke. And how bad were Stoke this year. I don’t think he’ll be coming here

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 12 May 2023 19:13

My top 3 realistic choices in order of preference. All 3 would be suited to the role based on their success in building a team from scratch.

1. Chris Wilder
2. Richie Wellens
3. Nathan Jones

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 May 2023 19:37

Royal_jimmy My top 3 realistic choices in order of preference. All 3 would be suited to the role based on their success in building a team from scratch.

1. Chris Wilder
2. Richie Wellens
3. Nathan Jones

Agree in terms of realistic options.

So many people on twitter going on about Dylan Kerr, Jobi, Murty, even Karacan as player coach

Need a complete break from the past.

768 posts