by JC » 17 Apr 2012 10:00

melonhead the man is sheer class.

we need more icelandics

Gylfi would do

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brynjar Gunnarsson

by facaldaqui » 17 Apr 2012 10:17

For me the epitome of Bryn is when he was brought on after we had a man sent off at Bristol. Can't quite remember the details, but I think we were a goal down as well. He comes on, shores us up, scores--bless his heart.

Things uninformed people have said about Bryn on here--he's slow, he can't last a match, he can't play two matches in a week, he's unskilled--don't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Apr 2012 11:36

Love him to pieces, obviously, but if anyone needs a reminder of his limitations....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17726374

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2012 12:39

facaldaqui For me the epitome of Bryn is when he was brought on after we had a man sent off at Bristol. Can't quite remember the details, but I think we were a goal down as well. He comes on, shores us up, scores--bless his heart.

Didn't that happen at/also happen at Cardiff?

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 17 Apr 2012 12:44

winchester_royal Love him to pieces, obviously, but if anyone needs a reminder of his limitations....

Odd to use that as an example when the other 10 players were equally over-run that day.

It's of little consequence of course, but I'd forgotten how good Kitson's finish was.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Apr 2012 13:56

winchester_royal Love him to pieces, obviously, but if anyone needs a reminder of his limitations....

whatevs

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Apr 2012 23:34

Give him a medal !

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 18 Apr 2012 06:58

Brian will do his best to get Bryn on the pitch at sompoint on Saturday against Palace.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Apr 2012 07:04

The Real Sandhurst Royal Brian will do his best to get Bryn on the pitch at sompoint on Saturday against Palace.

Not at the expense of our title shot I trust!

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 18 Apr 2012 07:12

The Real Sandhurst Royal Brian will do his best to get Bryn on the pitch at sompoint on Saturday against Palace.

Seconded. If it's 'pipe and slippers' during the second half, we'd all love Bryn to step onto the Mad Stad turf for the final time for a well deserved standing ovation.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Apr 2012 07:16

Forbury Lion

Not at the expense of our title shot I trust!

No, to snatch the winner with a header from a corner!

Maria Kr.

by Maria Kr. » 18 Apr 2012 18:24

One of the two major Icelandic newspapers had the sense to ring up my team's coach to ask if Reading going up to the Prem changes anything about Brynjar coming home. I'm in a good mood (frankly who here isn't right now), so I'll translate (and it doesn't seem to be online) I think they'll have a longer interview with the man himself soon.

Eagerly waiting for Brynjar
-Reading promoted to the Premier League - Will Brynjar be back for the first game with KR?
By Viðar Sigurðsson

"First and foremost this is a great achievement for Reading, we'll let Brynjar celebrate with the team tonight but will be in touch with him tomorrow or the next day on proceeding." said Rúnar Kristinsson, coach of Icelandic- and cup Champions KR, to Morgunblaðið last night. By then it was clear that Brynjar Björn Gunnarsson and his team mates at Reading had secured a place in the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Nottingham Forrest.
It is possible that Brynjar Björn will return home to KR this spring after 15 years of playing professionally overseas, and since Reading have already achieved promotion and will bypass the playoffs he could be ready to play for [KR] in their first match against Stjarnan on May 6th.
Rúnar said that this was by no means a given. "No, the situation may change by these events. If Brynjar were to receive an offer to continue on playing with the team it would no doubt be very tempting for him to go along to the Premier League. The only thing we know for sure right now is that if he does come home he'll be playing for us. We're eagerly awaiting to see if that will happen." Rúnar said.
Brynjar Björn, who played 43 games for Reading in the Premier League with Reading between the years of 2006 and 2008 hasn't played a big part for Reading this season. He has first and foremost been available, coming into the squad if needed and only playing in three league games. Brynjar sat on the bench for the entire match last night. He is finishing his seventh season at Reading which will in all likelihood be his last. Not a lot of words need to be wasted in explaining how much of an advantage it would be for KR to have him on board by the first game of the Icelandic Championship.

So looks like it's still only a verbal agreement with nothing set in stone other than that IF he comes home, he'll be playing for KR. I wouldn't begrudge him one bit if he gets an offer and decided to stay at Reading, but I'm thinking he'll come home regardless of the promotion, his family must've been planning this for a while, it would take something special from Reading to make him stay IMO.

Hope he gets a run out in the next 2 games!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Apr 2012 18:58

Bryn looks strangely subdued in the pictures and videos of the post match celebrations last night. Now I know he is a cool character but I would have liked to have seen him looking a little happier. Let's make sure we send him off with a smile on his face.

Songs, banners, dedications and whatever else people can think of.

Cypry

by Cypry » 18 Apr 2012 18:58

Much as I hate to say it I can't see him staying - he's only occasionally made the bench this year, and despite Brian having 7 options on the bench next year, I can't see him getting many games.
Be better for the big man to finish on a high and head home...

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 18 Apr 2012 19:06

I just hope McD let's him come on on Saturday, even if it is for 5 minutes, just so he can say goodbye. :(

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 18 Apr 2012 19:14

You have to love the guy, but he was truly dreadful that day.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Apr 2012 23:56

Oh yes, remember it well.

We let in 7 but Coppell found an excuse to pick the same defence for the next match and no-nothing fans decided to blame Gunnarsson so they could continue to brown nose Shorey. From this day forward relegation was always on the cards.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 19 Apr 2012 07:42

Woodcote Royal

Oh yes, remember it well.

We let in 7 but Coppell found an excuse to pick the same defence for the next match and no-nothing fans decided to blame Gunnarsson so they could continue to brown nose Shorey. From this day forward relegation was always on the cards.

FFS :roll: You really are a massive twat aren't you.

On a thread about a player with near legendary status you manage to introduce your personal anti Coppell/Shorey agenda.

Maquisard

by Maquisard » 19 Apr 2012 15:55

Maria Kr. One of the two major Icelandic newspapers had the sense to ring up my team's coach to ask if Reading going up to the Prem changes anything about Brynjar coming home. I'm in a good mood (frankly who here isn't right now), so I'll translate (and it doesn't seem to be online) I think they'll have a longer interview with the man himself soon.

Eagerly waiting for Brynjar
-Reading promoted to the Premier League - Will Brynjar be back for the first game with KR?
By Viðar Sigurðsson

"First and foremost this is a great achievement for Reading, we'll let Brynjar celebrate with the team tonight but will be in touch with him tomorrow or the next day on proceeding." said Rúnar Kristinsson, coach of Icelandic- and cup Champions KR, to Morgunblaðið last night. By then it was clear that Brynjar Björn Gunnarsson and his team mates at Reading had secured a place in the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Nottingham Forrest.
It is possible that Brynjar Björn will return home to KR this spring after 15 years of playing professionally overseas, and since Reading have already achieved promotion and will bypass the playoffs he could be ready to play for [KR] in their first match against Stjarnan on May 6th.
Rúnar said that this was by no means a given. "No, the situation may change by these events. If Brynjar were to receive an offer to continue on playing with the team it would no doubt be very tempting for him to go along to the Premier League. The only thing we know for sure right now is that if he does come home he'll be playing for us. We're eagerly awaiting to see if that will happen." Rúnar said.
Brynjar Björn, who played 43 games for Reading in the Premier League with Reading between the years of 2006 and 2008 hasn't played a big part for Reading this season. He has first and foremost been available, coming into the squad if needed and only playing in three league games. Brynjar sat on the bench for the entire match last night. He is finishing his seventh season at Reading which will in all likelihood be his last. Not a lot of words need to be wasted in explaining how much of an advantage it would be for KR to have him on board by the first game of the Icelandic Championship.

So looks like it's still only a verbal agreement with nothing set in stone other than that IF he comes home, he'll be playing for KR. I wouldn't begrudge him one bit if he gets an offer and decided to stay at Reading, but I'm thinking he'll come home regardless of the promotion, his family must've been planning this for a while, it would take something special from Reading to make him stay IMO.

Hope he gets a run out in the next 2 games!

Hope this doesn't mean that I panic bought a no. 6 shirt for no reason, when I could have waited until next year's undoubtedly better strip? Oh well...

(and another thing, these shirts are really not generously sized.... or maybe I'm too generously sized :oops: )

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 19 Apr 2012 16:35

Love the way that the crowd almost seem bored of goals by the end of that.

132 posts