The real big cock-ups

121 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The real big cock-ups

by sandman » 02 Sep 2013 22:23

Watching SSN we now know what Lackwits are.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 02 Sep 2013 22:23

Sydneyroyal Reads like a lot of frenzied despair by people who are upset that Reading were unable to sort out deals. Hammond's fault? Chairman's fault? Maybe the despair is caused by the supporters for expecting far too much and putting out silly posts on HNA. With so many rumours we were only ever going to disappoint ourselves. Let's get excited by the possibility of a good loan signing.... Then something at Christmas, then next year's summer market. I'm going to sit back and support the team we have. BM did a lot with not much. Made it all the sweeter. NA has, in my opinion, a better team without any signings today, and a better style of playing.

I know right? It's not like Anton said we'd sign 8 and Adkins said we'd sign 3 today. How silly of us to expect AT LEAST ONE signing today!

rfc58

by rfc58 » 03 Sep 2013 07:38

I wonder if Adkins saying about three signings was a bit of a veiled dig. He is saying that we need players in to strengthen the squad, especially as he'd have known players would be going.

This could be his way of saying "I need quality", it's up to the board to do the deal.

Waylenstreet

by Waylenstreet » 03 Sep 2013 07:53

Call me naive....but as it struck anyone else that maybe it suits someone if we stay just where we are..hovering around the Champions League ? That actually promotion would not suit the wider agenda at all ?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 03 Sep 2013 08:18

Personally. I would be happy with hovering around the champions league.....

Waylenstreet

by Waylenstreet » 03 Sep 2013 08:31

glass half full Personally. I would be happy with hovering around the champions league.....

OK fine. But lets be up front and honest about it. lets not raise expectations..Anton.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Sep 2013 08:40

Reading Fc have always been poor communicators and this is just another example.....................

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 12:53

sandman He can't... It's broken.

genius :|

good comeback though, you really socked it to me.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 12:55

Tamworth_Royal
melonhead 8/10 for lackwits, but what in gods name is doombrains?take a long hard look at yourself

Yea Melonhead 26000 + comments in only 3 years, look in the mirror son look in the mirror :roll: Get a life

fukking idiot.

# of posts is an indicator of superiority.
it is those who post low numbers in large time spans that are mockworthy.

have you even looked at the internet before?

and actually, its about 60,000 in 6 years.......

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 03 Sep 2013 12:56

Gordons Cumming Reading Fc have always been poor communicators and this is just another example.....................

Who or what is the reason for it! Thought things might be different after Anton came onboard.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Sep 2013 13:09

Scutterbucketz
Gordons Cumming Reading Fc have always been poor communicators and this is just another example.....................

Who or what is the reason for it.......

Tommy Smith

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 03 Sep 2013 13:16

Friday's Ghost, just curious, how long have you been supporting Reading?

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 03 Sep 2013 21:15

Elm Park Pasty Friday's Ghost, just curious, how long have you been supporting Reading?

Since 1958, though, at that time, no-one would have ever believed that life and football would end up where we are today. However, not knowing why you asked the question, I should say something else. I have seen how success comes to clubs, how failure blights clubs and how proper well-thought work at clubs leads to success. RFC have pushed themselves into a yo-yo position (which is great given our history). However, given our last 12/15 years, we have continually shown a complete lack of ability in using Transfer Windows OR spending what is required on needed players.

There is a big problem on this site that people do not seem to understand the financials that run alongside success. Taking the last time we were promoted, had I been in charge of the squad ins and outs, we would have spent perhapd 25m more than we did. That may have kept us up which would have generated 100M, however, were we still relegated, our good players would actually have been worth more than we paid for them (unlike he Pog), they would have been cherry-picked at high prices by the new Prem teams and RFC would have made a profit both ways.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2013 23:55

Waylenstreet Call me naive....but as it struck anyone else that maybe it suits someone if we stay just where we are..hovering around the Champions League ? That actually promotion would not suit the wider agenda at all ?

We had this same accusation at Madejski for years. Then we won the league with a record points total and then finished 8th in the PL. We got into the Play Offs twice more, making the final once, before winning the League again.

If we want to stay hovering about the Play Offs. We're doing a oxf*rd shit job of it.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Sep 2013 07:04

Shit :lol:

You say
FridaysGhost There is a big problem on this site that people do not seem to understand the financials that run alongside success.

Then you go onto say

FridaysGhost Taking the last time we were promoted, had I been in charge of the squad ins and outs, we would have spent perhapd 25m more than we did. That may have kept us up which would have generated 100M, however, were we still relegated, our good players would actually have been worth more than we paid for them (unlike he Pog), they would have been cherry-picked at high prices by the new Prem teams and RFC would have made a profit both ways.

Who knew it was all so simple? :lol:

Seriously, how are you not DoF for one of the top four clubs with strategy and insight like this?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Sep 2013 17:43

Let me get this straight. Spending an extra £25m (including or excluding wages? Because including wages that really isn't a huge amount to sign extra players with and excluding wages then obviously the cost spirals higher) last time we went up would have generated an extra £100m by keeping us up, despite the fact we survived our first season in 8th and our turnover for that second PL season was only £57m? (An increase of only £40m on our turnover for our last Championship season at that time, so in no way close to additional income of £100m)

And even if we'd gone down, the players we'd signed for £25m would have performed well enough for their sale value to have increased? Even though the club would be in dire need to sell to reduce its operating costs because of far reduced income from relegation, and said players would largely have failed to perform or we wouldn't have got relegated?

No wonder no one tries to take FridaysGhosts points seriously and he can't have any proper discussions. He's batshit crazy and almost totally innumerate.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Sep 2013 17:50

Ian the last time we were promoted was 2 seasons ago, you obviously missed it !

I think Friday's Ghost is referring to players like Rhodes as being investments that would have appreciated even if we had a bad season.

Doesn't alter the fact that he's talking rubbish. Would love to see his views on running the UK economy or sorting out Syria becasue I'm sure in his mind those are both dead easy......

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Sep 2013 17:59

Nameless Ian the last time we were promoted was 2 seasons ago, you obviously missed it !

I think Friday's Ghost is referring to players like Rhodes as being investments that would have appreciated even if we had a bad season.

Doesn't alter the fact that he's talking rubbish. Would love to see his views on running the UK economy or sorting out Syria becasue I'm sure in his mind those are both dead easy......

I'd have just gone with "when we were promoted" then. Even then, this year turnover wouldn't be £100m in the PL, so given our turnover is likely to be in the £25m - £30m this year thanks to Parachute payments, he's still going to be about £30m - £40m shy of his additional £100m, not taking into account the extra £25m he'd have had to have spent in costs.

I don't see how we'd recoup more than £8m on Rhodes after a failed PL season with only League One pedigree, when his value had gone down £2m after a quality Championship season. And he's about the best case scenario you're likely to get for recouping money on a signing.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Sep 2013 18:03

Ian Royal
I don't see how we'd recoup more than £8m on Rhodes after a failed PL season with only League One pedigree, when his value had gone down £2m after a quality Championship season. And he's about the best case scenario you're likely to get for recouping money on a signing.

Doesn't he also usually quote Zaha and Ince as youngsters we could have got for next to nothing and then flogged for millions after we'd gone straight back down ?

We might even have nicked Bale off Spurs for £30 million and then sold him on to Real for £85 million to cover the gap in earnings.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 06 Sep 2013 21:49

Nameless Ian the last time we were promoted was 2 seasons ago, you obviously missed it !

A/ I never talk rubbish although many readers of my posts purposely pick their own facts from a considered opinion.

B/ UK Economy, Oh yes, I could fix it in a few minutes. Syria, you've get me, I would have GB nowhere near the place or the problem.

121 posts