Gunts on his way?

192 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Gunts on his way?

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jan 2016 17:56

Nameless
CountryRoyal I give up. If ever I find myself bored enough as dave royal/jojo, I'll trawl through the highlights of every game and compile every single mistake he has made. Unfortunately, for obvious reason, it wouldn't show up all the times he could have delivered a decent ball into the box, but didn't.

Not sure these Gunter 'mistakes' will feature heavily in ahighlights package !

And you could probably pick almost any player and come up with an extensive list of errors. Football is an error strewn game, most players get at least as much wrong as they do right.

Mistakes leading directly to the opposition goal - why wouldn't they?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 23 Jan 2016 18:18

According to CW plenty of clubs forming a line for his signiture. Would prefer we kept him for another 2 seasons unless we magic up a jem of a replacement.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Jan 2016 18:40

CountryRoyal
Nameless
CountryRoyal I give up. If ever I find myself bored enough as dave royal/jojo, I'll trawl through the highlights of every game and compile every single mistake he has made. Unfortunately, for obvious reason, it wouldn't show up all the times he could have delivered a decent ball into the box, but didn't.

Not sure these Gunter 'mistakes' will feature heavily in ahighlights package !

And you could probably pick almost any player and come up with an extensive list of errors. Football is an error strewn game, most players get at least as much wrong as they do right.

Mistakes leading directly to the opposition goal - why wouldn't they?

You've made a major change to your criteria there...
Were you at the game today ? Excellent crossing from Gunter, top support play and some very good defensive work.
No doubt more clubs now on the phone to see what price we'll accept....
Last edited by Nameless on 23 Jan 2016 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Jan 2016 18:59

Yet again the "useless" Gunter saved us from going 2-0 with a match saving tackle.

He will be very hard to replace IMO and I hope he stays and signs a new contract.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Jan 2016 19:17

andrew1957 Yet again the "useless" Gunter saved us from going 2-0 with a match saving tackle.

He will be very hard to replace IMO and I hope he stays and signs a new contract.

Fair play. I thought it was his best ever game for us

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 19:32

I thought bar the block he was bang average again.

Virtually every first touch when not in acres of space was to control it back inside, dither, then pass sideways or backwards. Didn't always have a choice, but so often ignored the early ball up the line or forward and inside.

And my god, but at throw ins he's even worse. We show for it badly, but even when it's on he's not even remotely interested in quick ball.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2016 21:03

Really Ian??

Seriously, were you actually there today?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Jan 2016 21:12

AthleticoSpizz Really Ian??

Seriously, were you actually there today?

Absolutely, Gunts was overlapping well, interposing well, crossing well

Ian must be full of something that rhymes with hit

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2016 21:16

Ian is not normally one of those to join the pre-conceived idea'd herd

Maybe just today...he is

Either that, or he forgot his glasses/forgot the batteries for his radio etc etc

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 23 Jan 2016 21:49

Snowball
andrew1957 Yet again the "useless" Gunter saved us from going 2-0 with a match saving tackle.

Fair play. I thought it was his best ever game for us

I, like Snowball, have posted that he played very well today but the last ditch block came from him going to sleep as Forestieri got the run on him at the back post. Fair play to him for recovering from his error but the best defenders cut the danger out before you even realise there was any danger in the first place. But, he had a good game overall for sure today.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jan 2016 21:50

Nameless
You've made a major change to your criteria there...
Were you at the game today ? Excellent crossing from Gunter, top support play and some very good defensive work.
No doubt more clubs now on the phone to see what price we'll accept....

I was referring to how his mistakes cost us goals in a previous post so I assumed the continuity was obvious. Apologies if it wasn't clear.

I wasn't actually, was up at my gfs so went to Salford FC v Buxton. Right back put in some nice balls into the box which made a change from my usual viewing. :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 21:50

He did overlap fairly well later in the second half and put some good crosses in. My problem isn't that he made obvious errors, it's with what he could be doing to be more positive and effective early in the build up, particularly in the middle third. So many times I saw him slow us down and make us start again.

Something he's guilty of at throw ins too. Opposition defences and midfields must love him... oooh, Gunter's on the ball or taking the throw in, plenty of time to find our shape and set ourselves.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jan 2016 21:51

Ian Royal Something he's guilty of at throw ins too. Opposition defences and midfields must love him... oooh, Gunter's on the ball or taking the throw in, plenty of time to find our shape and set ourselves.

He's not on his own there tbf Ian.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2016 21:53

Great game I would say....yes he cocked up once if you have to split hairs......but what a decent recovery........reminded me of Murtz with a Kebe rocket up his arse down the wing

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2016 21:54

Whewwwww backtracking Ian :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 21:59

CountryRoyal
Ian Royal Something he's guilty of at throw ins too. Opposition defences and midfields must love him... oooh, Gunter's on the ball or taking the throw in, plenty of time to find our shape and set ourselves.

He's not on his own there tbf Ian.

Never a truer word spoken, and the issue at throw ins is often also the lack of any movement from the player's on the pitch. But there were a number of occasions he had easy quick options he didn't take. I wonder if it's a perpetuating cycle... no one moves early because they know the full back will have to take it and won't be looking to release quick ball, then once the full back's decided he's ready, everyone's tightly marked and there's still little movement so it still doesn't come in. The full back never looks to release quick ball, because he knows no bugger is going to be looking for it.

The nearest player's should be looking for an instant opportunity, if there isn't one wait 'til everyone's set. Then at least two players have to move at once to receive, not one at a time. Make the oppo wonder where it's going to go and how soon, they'll make mistakes and leave space.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 23 Jan 2016 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 22:01

AthleticoSpizz Whewwwww backtracking Ian :wink:

Don't think there's a backtrack there, just a bit more detail.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2016 22:02

Ian for manager

On a Gunts thread

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 23 Jan 2016 22:05

AthleticoSpizz Great game I would say....yes he cocked up once if you have to split hairs......but what a decent recovery........reminded me of Murtz with a Kebe rocket up his arse down the wing

I think losing your man and leaving him unmarked 10 yards from goal is a bit more than splitting hairs :-) But recovery is his main defensive strength so fair play to him for reacting. I actually though he put some decent crosses in today as well.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 22:23

AthleticoSpizz Ian for manager

On a Gunts thread

If I win the lottery I'll go for my coaching badges, try to qualify as a ref, and go for a sports science qualification and we'll see then.

192 posts