Wellens
Warburton

I'd be ok with :
Cowley
Murty
O' Shea
Parky
Jones
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 07 May 2023 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

Once upon a time .

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by Once upon a time . » 06 May 2023 13:09

I’m not impressed with any of the new manager names so far proposed , so here’s one that may cause some reactions . James Milner of Liverpool . Out of contract at end of season , I believe . Vast experience of quality clubs and played in many positions , always a worker and enthusiastic player . How about prolonging his career by offering him the job as Player/manager ?
No experience, I know of lower league levels , but maybe we need someone who will get us to perform at a level above L1 . Just a thought anyway !

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 May 2023 13:27

Once upon a time . I’m not impressed with any of the new manager names so far proposed , so here’s one that may cause some reactions . James Milner of Liverpool . Out of contract at end of season , I believe . Vast experience of quality clubs and played in many positions , always a worker and enthusiastic player . How about prolonging his career by offering him the job as Player/manager ?
No experience, I know of lower league levels , but maybe we need someone who will get us to perform at a level above L1 . Just a thought anyway !

Unfortunately it looks like James Milner is set to sign for Brighton on a free at the end of the season.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... y-interest

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 May 2023 15:51

Once upon a time . I’m not impressed with any of the new manager names so far proposed , so here’s one that may cause some reactions . James Milner of Liverpool . Out of contract at end of season , I believe . Vast experience of quality clubs and played in many positions , always a worker and enthusiastic player . How about prolonging his career by offering him the job as Player/manager ?

You're not happy with a string of suggestions of ex-players with little experience, or genuine lower league managers with plenty experience, so instead you want to suggest someone with no coaching, let alone management, experience?

Right.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 May 2023 22:32

Snowflake Royal

You're not happy with a string of suggestions of ex-players with little experience, or genuine lower league managers with plenty experience, so instead you want to suggest someone with no coaching, let alone management, experience?

Right.

:D :D :D ouch!!!!!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 May 2023 23:21

If being a top player made you a great manager, we wouldn't be heading to League One.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 May 2023 07:58

tidus_mi2

If being a top player made you a great manager, we wouldn't be heading to League One.

Unless he comes with a glowing recommendation from Alex Ferguson then no.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 07 May 2023 07:59

We need a manager who is positive but not a pushover and won't tolerate bad performances. Can improve the players and tactically use them to their strengths, stop our defence leaking goals, build a system that creates us lots of chances and scores goals etc. It doesn't matter if they were good players or are even ex Reading players they just need to have these qualities.

Dai needs to let Bowen do his job without Kia or any other advisor. Let Bowen make the recommendation and appoint the new manager.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 May 2023 21:18

Alan Nixon has just published an article suggesting the club are after Chris Wilder.

Which for L1, would frankly be a fantastic move.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 May 2023 21:45

Wilder would be good for League One, just not encouraged by his last couple of jobs but you've got to think he's got enough about him to do a good enough job with us.

Not just that, if it does turn out to be true and we get an appointment like that announced quickly, it would be a big statement from the club and likely a popular one.

Just looked at the odds and Steve Cotterill's odds have slashed to 2/1, he's the current manager of Shrewsbury Town.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 08 May 2023 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 08 May 2023 21:46

Wilder would be amazing! But I just don't see it happening

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 May 2023 21:50

Looking like Jared Dublin is potentially pulling the strings here. Was a very key figure in recruiting during Wilder's successful time in Sheffield.

This actually excites me a little. Clean slate and an experienced, successful manager working with a recruitment team whom he knows to build a completely fresh squad.

It may not happen, it could go wrong but it feels like a plan.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 May 2023 21:53

He's probably the best, most high-profile name (managerial speaking) that has been mentioned so far. His stock is at his lowest at the moment so maybe a drop to League One to pull us up the division.

He could get us promoted from League One and then you'd think he'd be good enough to see us survive comfortably in the Championship as well.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 May 2023 21:57

Steve Cotterill The favourite ? That would be fcuking hilarious!

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 May 2023 22:12

Wilder has done oxf*rd all since Sheffield united so this could be a possibility. He might see a project in League One as a better option than the merry go round of hire and fire in the Championship. He would be a great appointment in my opinion.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2023 22:24

Wilder sounds like he'd be a brilliant pick, even with some recent failures on his CV.

Watford are a basket case and he's only had 11 games there anyway.

His record at Middlesbrough is still the stuff of dreams for us. 40% win rate, more wins than defeats.
Did great things with Sheff Utd.
Good record at Northampton and Oxford. Halifax isn't terrible.

Stam is the only recent manager we've had who has won more games than he's lost and that's only because we sacked him before the losses could overtake wins. Even Bowen only got as many wins as losses.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2023 22:26

Wilder would be great tbh. Can’t see it but you never know

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 May 2023 23:04

Royal Rother Steve Cotterill The favourite ? That would be fcuking hilarious!

For some reason Steve Cotterill is always there or there abouts in the betting when we're looking for a new manager. Nothing more than bookie speculation (I sincerely hope).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 May 2023 06:17

Snowflake Royal Wilder sounds like he'd be a brilliant pick, even with some recent failures on his CV.

Watford are a basket case and he's only had 11 games there anyway.

His record at Middlesbrough is still the stuff of dreams for us. 40% win rate, more wins than defeats.
Did great things with Sheff Utd.
Good record at Northampton and Oxford. Halifax isn't terrible.

Stam is the only recent manager we've had who has won more games than he's lost and that's only because we sacked him before the losses could overtake wins. Even Bowen only got as many wins as losses.

And he’s led a club to winning the play offs! In addition he’s used to clubs with frugal budgets and managed at Northampton when they were in a right financial mess. Amazingly he’s been in charge of 990 games as a manager :shock: (win ratio is around 43%).

Plus given his experience in all 4 divisions then he could be good for a bit of a “proverbial” project.

Very decent option for the club and I don’t think you could complain if it happened. Just hope that whoever gets the gig gets it in the next week or two.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 09 May 2023 07:26

In theory, Wilder is a good appointment. This is Reading though so with our luck, he would probably come here and be shit.

768 posts