SPECULATION: Andrey Arshavin

464 posts
fedders1871

Re: SPECULATION: Andrey Arshavin

by fedders1871 » 26 Dec 2012 19:22

i dont know if anyone has seen the post match interview on skysports but as soon as Brian was asked about Arshavin he seemed a bit put off and his body language went a bit, dont know if it means anything as he seemed to struggle to handle the question a bit.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 26 Dec 2012 20:26

It's cos Brian is shit at poker.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

If Arshavin comes in, where does he fit in?

by SPARTA » 26 Dec 2012 21:03

He apparently became very frustrated at being played on the wing at Arsenal, but that would appear the most obvious place for him to fit in here, wouldn't it?

In a 4-5-1, he is perhaps the ideal person to play just behind the striker (in the hole), but looking at us when we play this formation, we don't seem to support the lone striker as we should be doing; hence us lacking in the final third the last two games.

Does he come in for Guthrie, as I suspect might be the case, with Brian favouring his defensive midfielders, or do we change to a more offensive midfield and utilise both Guthrie and Arshavin? Hopefully the latter.

I'd love to see:

============================== Karacan ==============================

Kebe ================ Guthrie =========== Arshavin ==== AnyonebutMcAnuff

============================= Pogrebnyak ============================

Where would you see him fitting in?

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: If Arshavin comes in, where does he fit in?

by moo » 26 Dec 2012 21:05

Arshavin is not coming to Reading :oops: :roll:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Dec 2012 21:10

If he did come (I don't think he will, it is just lazy journalism) then I'd probably want him on the left wing in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. I'd also accept playing behind the striker, but Arshavin does so little defensively that we might as well be playing 4-4-2 then.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 26 Dec 2012 21:37

SCIAG If he did come (I don't think he will, it is just lazy journalism) then I'd probably want him on the left wing in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. I'd also accept playing behind the striker, but Arshavin does so little defensively that we might as well be playing 4-4-2 then.

You say lazy journalism, but one very reliable arsenal source who also reports for the metro, says that a deal is almost done. He was the first to confirm Afobe was coming here, and has a decent reputation among arsenal fans about the goings on behind the scenes. I think that makes our interest a lot more than just lazy speculation, but it also doesn't mean a deal can be done either.

In the hole fwiw.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 26 Dec 2012 21:40

I'll believe it when Fridays Legacy says it ......

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Dec 2012 21:59

SCIAG If he did come (I don't think he will, it is just lazy journalism) then I'd probably want him on the left wing in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. I'd also accept playing behind the striker, but Arshavin does so little defensively that we might as well be playing 4-4-2 then.

He'd surely slot in behind the centre forward in a pretty central role. With McAnuff and Kebe out wide but not being too adventurous.

I do think one of the reasons we've conceded so many goals is because we've had to over commit going forward to compensate for a lack of quality in the final third.

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 26 Dec 2012 22:08

Not happening but if true but for a 4-5-1
--------------------Feds---------------------
Gunter------Morrow--Pearce------------Shorey
------------------Karacan-------------------
---------Guthrie-----------Arshavin-------
McCleary----------------------------------Kebe
------------------Le Fondre---------------------
Last edited by runrunrunrungilksey on 26 Dec 2012 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Dec 2012 22:08

More to the point if Rooney comes where would he fit in?

I say up front.

The Royal

by The Royal » 26 Dec 2012 22:11

It's gonna be a squeeze to fit him in anywhere, he has put on a few pounds recently

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 26 Dec 2012 22:21

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ading.html

Arshavin heading to Reading as Royals' Russian owner looks to bolster survival bid.

Arsenal outcast Andrey Arshavin is close to sealing a January move to relegation-threatened Reading.

The Gunners signed him for £15million in 2009 but he has held talks over a switch to the Madejski Stadium, where billionaire Russian owner Anton Zingarevich wants the 31-year-old - a superstar in their homeland - to bolster his struggling squad.

Arsenal are listening to offers for Arshavin, out of contract at the end of the season, as they try to shift his £85,000-a-week contract off the wage bill.

Arsenal, who are willing to take a hefty loss on the forward, could offload him for as little as £2m. Sources close to Arshavin insist he is taking the offer seriously, given his frustration at Arsenal and the chance to link up with compatriot Zingarevich.

Reading have made an informal offer for Arshavin, who has been told he can leave if he can find the right deal for him and Arsenal straight away. His old club Zenit St Petersburg are keen, as are Fulham.

Marouane Chamakh, on £60,000 a week, is the other big earner Arsenal will try to off-load in January. West Ham and Norwich are keen.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 26 Dec 2012 22:44

He won't be coming but if he does.

=============Federici================

Gunter====Pearce===Mariappa====Shorey

==========Guthrie====Karacan=========

Kebe=========Arshavin==========HRK

==============Alf=================

He doesn't want to play on the wing and Arshavin hates defending.

We are the weakest down the middle and that's where we need that extra class. Number 10 free role

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 26 Dec 2012 22:49

Now the Mirror again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ks-1506378

Russian to the sales: Arsenal misfit Andrey Arshavin in talks over Reading switch

Arsenal misfit Andrey Arshavin is having talks about a January switch to Premier League strugglers Reading.

Reading’s wealthy Russian owner Anton Zingaervich is keen to bring in 31-year-old Arshavin in a desperate attempt to bolster his squad.

Arsenal are ready to listen to offers for Arshavin who is out of contract at the end of the season but he is on £90,000-a-week so they want to offload even for a cut price.

It is believed Arshavin has had an offer and is taking it seriously as the Zingaervich link-up appeals. Reading have made an approach and the deal could happen once the January window opens.

Arshavin is fed-up of being a forgotten man at Arsenal and wants to play even though Reading would be a relegation scrap.

He has been told he can go in January if he can find the right deal for him and Arsenal.

Russia star Arshavin’s former club Zenit are also interested in re-signing the player they sold to Arsenal four years ago for £12m. Fulham have also enquired.

But Arshavin also knows a short term switch would mean he can line up a lucrative Bosman-style free transfer at the end of the season.

Arshavin was keen on a big money move to the Middle East last summer and a retirement home there would still be open at the end of the season.

If Wenger lets Arshavin go then it would free up his wage budget and a place in the squad while Marouane Chamakh has also been told he can go.

Juventus, his former club Bordeaux and Fiorentina are all keen while Arsenal may have to subsidise his £60,000-a-week deal.

Several British clubs, including West Ham, Norwich and Cardiff, have looked but the wages have put them off.

Meanwhile Reading’s £3m move for Zambian defender Stopilla Sonzu has been put on hold after he was called up to his country’s African Nations Cup squad.

Royals boss Brian McDermott wants Sonzu to complete a week’s trial before rubber stamping the deal.

McDermott said: “Stoppy was here when he was a kid. It’s a possibility we might have a look at him for a week. He’s a good lad.”

Sonzu, 23, who plays for African side TP Mazembe, has also been watched by scouts from Arsenal and Chelsea.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 27 Dec 2012 01:47

looks promising, getting pretty excited!

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 27 Dec 2012 09:09

Looks like a loan fee to the arse and then us paying his wages until june. Then free agent.

Gunners get something back and free up wages
We punt 2.5 - 4.5m to try and avoid the drop
AA gets shop window time and becomes a free agent in june

Winners all round?

The Royal

by The Royal » 27 Dec 2012 09:11

Let's hope is he does come that he does more than the other Russian

The Royal

by The Royal » 27 Dec 2012 09:16

But asked directly about Arshavin in the wake of a goalless draw with Swansea, a non-committal McDermott said: "I don't think so. At this time of year you hear lots of rumours. I have heard that one."

Each site says a different thing

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 27 Dec 2012 09:19

Would he get in the team though? Certainly can't see McAnuff being dropped so that would mean Kebe/McLeary being dumped.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Dec 2012 09:24

Federici

Shorey
Pearce
Morrison
Mariappa

Arshavin
Karacan
Huddlestone
Guthrie
McCleary

Pogrebnyak

I'd be happy with this ^
Last edited by Royalee on 27 Dec 2012 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

464 posts