Speculation - McCarthy to Chelsea

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Speculation - McCarthy to Chelsea

by moo » 13 Feb 2013 22:35

It's the rumour going round, that they are going to be fighting Liverpool for him in the summer. This is allegedly because the Butland deal fell through when he chose Stoke ahead of them.

Maybe McCarthy will chose the sensible option like Butland did...

ddetisi

Re: Speculation - McCarthy to Chelsea

by ddetisi » 13 Feb 2013 22:53

moo Maybe McCarthy will chose the sensible option like Butland did...

I think stoke have got enough keepers now

yappy

by yappy » 13 Feb 2013 23:08

Chelsea have Courtois so not really too sure why they would be in interested in AMc

jimstaaa

by jimstaaa » 13 Feb 2013 23:28

'Meanwhile, Chelsea are plotting a summer move for Reading goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.
The Blues are eyeing McCarthy, currently sidelined after shoulder surgery, as they consider shaking up their goalkeeping department.
Petr Cech remains the undisputed first choice at Stamford Bridge.
But veteran Hilario, 37, is out of contract in the summer, while Ross Turnbull has failed to convince as Cech’s back-up.
Chelsea also have to decide what to do with Belgian stopper Thibaut Courtois when his second year on loan at Atletico Madrid finishes at the end of the season.
Newcastle and Liverpool are also monitoring McCarthy, 23, who was on the verge of an England call-up before getting injured in November.
But they are set to face competition from Chelsea now they have added McCarthy to their summer shopping list after missing out on Jack Butland last month.
McCarthy is back in training after his injury, which came soon after he replaced Adam Federici as Reading’s No.1.'

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/vie ... vid-Moyes/

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Feb 2013 02:15

Daily Starhahaha. Why does anyone ever give that rag credibility? Now, if Feds waddled off to Chelsea I would not shed any tears. McCarthy is a far better keeper who will just get better and better.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 14 Feb 2013 13:00

Daily Star or not, from a source, there is definitely some substance in Chelsea’s interest in McCarthy, but as the article says, there are decisions to be made on Courtois and Turnbull before they make a move.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 14 Feb 2013 15:29

Sell Federici and replace him with McCarthy.

Better keeper.

Simple.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Feb 2013 16:08

yappy Chelsea have Courtois so not really too sure why they would be in interested in AMc

Barcelona are supposed to be very interested in Courtois. Cech is still young, so Chelsea may decide that they don't need Thibaut.

They do have Matej Delac though, who would probably be willing to play second fiddle. Not sure if he's home grown.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Feb 2013 16:19

LoyalRoyalFan Sell Federici and replace him with McCarthy.

Better keeper.

Simple.

It's not that simple though is it. Feds has been immense over the last few games, and you know full well that the fans are split over the goalkeeper issue. Either or for me, but i really don't see McCarthy back in the starting 11 this season even if he does get back to fitness in time.

JordCot

by JordCot » 14 Feb 2013 16:40

Personally I don't understand this one. Obviously we know McCarthy is good because he is ours so we have paid attention to him but he can't be that well known? Butland was getting regular football before his england and olympic call ups and while McCarthy was good in his stint this season he wasn't SPECTACULAR and didn't have loads of games to show his quality. I can't see chelsea splashing big money on him, specially with the impressive looking Courtois

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Feb 2013 22:23

JordCot Personally I don't understand this one. Obviously we know McCarthy is good because he is ours so we have paid attention to him but he can't be that well known? Butland was getting regular football before his england and olympic call ups and while McCarthy was good in his stint this season he wasn't SPECTACULAR and didn't have loads of games to show his quality. I can't see chelsea splashing big money on him, specially with the impressive looking Courtois

He made headlines with his spectacular display against Swansea. That's what people would have seen. Also good last time he covered for Feds in the champ. I totally get it. Cech won't be around forever, and they'll still need 2 excellent keepers.

JordCot

by JordCot » 15 Feb 2013 00:00

Royal Ginger
JordCot Personally I don't understand this one. Obviously we know McCarthy is good because he is ours so we have paid attention to him but he can't be that well known? Butland was getting regular football before his england and olympic call ups and while McCarthy was good in his stint this season he wasn't SPECTACULAR and didn't have loads of games to show his quality. I can't see chelsea splashing big money on him, specially with the impressive looking Courtois

He made headlines with his spectacular display against Swansea. That's what people would have seen. Also good last time he covered for Feds in the champ. I totally get it. Cech won't be around forever, and they'll still need 2 excellent keepers.

Yeah but Butlands been talk of the town for a while now, If McCarthy had played the whole season and impressed then maybe but I just think we see his achievements a little rose tinted. I doubt he has made much of an impact on many other clubs other than just a player with potential

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 15 Feb 2013 07:54

JordCot
Royal Ginger

Yeah but Butlands been talk of the town for a while now, If McCarthy had played the whole season and impressed then maybe but I just think we see his achievements a little rose tinted. I doubt he has made much of an impact on many other clubs other than just a player with potential

If we accept that they're looking to buy potential rather than the finished product can you think of any other young keepers around who have made headlines? Rose tinted, yes, but still a good option for Chelsea.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 15 Feb 2013 08:36

It might be the rubbish Daily Star but this rumour has a ring of truth to it - for me, anyway.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Feb 2013 10:49

10 million quid please

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 15 Feb 2013 17:55

moo It's the rumour going round, that they are going to be fighting Liverpool for him in the summer. This is allegedly because the Butland deal fell through when he chose Stoke ahead of them.

It isn't McCarthy's decision to make! Hopefully we'll sell Federici and make McCarthy number one in any case. He wont be first choice at Chelsea or Liverpool.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 19 Feb 2013 11:41

SPARTA
moo It's the rumour going round, that they are going to be fighting Liverpool for him in the summer. This is allegedly because the Butland deal fell through when he chose Stoke ahead of them.

It isn't McCarthy's decision to make! Hopefully we'll sell Federici and make McCarthy number one in any case. He wont be first choice at Chelsea or Liverpool.

If there's an offer or offers that are above the agreed release clause in his contract, then it does become his choice.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 19 Feb 2013 18:00

Alexander Litvinenko
SPARTA

If there's an offer or offers that are above the agreed release clause in his contract, then it does become his choice.

Is there a release clause? Not every contract has one written in.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 19 Feb 2013 18:31

He would be foolish to go and sit on the bench at Chelsea, if he's to develop into the keeper most of us think he will be, he needs to play games and he while Cech is there he won't.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Feb 2013 18:51

SPARTA
Alexander Litvinenko
SPARTA

Is there a release clause? Not every contract has one written in.

We've been open before about agreeing a fee with all our players so they know their worth to club and that we won't stand in their way to take the next step. It's one of the ways we sell ourselves as a good place to develop for hot prospects.